The most you'd spend on an acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by jwp333, Oct 3, 2016.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know what the number would be, I just have a hard time spending an amount that resembles the average annual income in less fortunate parts of the world - and yeah I realize that kind of statement is questionable, given what I've already spent on equipment. For me it's more important to find just the right one. No rush.

that being said, ten years ago, I spent 1700 US on a Gibson CJ-165 at a time I was gigging with a band that did both acoustic and electric sets and I've probably paid for that guitar. It's a great workhorse, always fits in the mix, etc. It's a keeper.

But I've had the opportunity to play some sweet, sweet, sweet acoustics, from a wide array of makers - all the typical names and some custom labels. There's just a more immediate physical feeling and response when you find an acoustic that has "it". Playing a beater is fine, but man, when an acoustic is super good, that's just an amazing feeling. It's something worth saving for. IMO.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Knowing what I know now after about 10 acoustic guitar builds, I'd never spend more than 1000 dollars on any guitar except maybe a LP standard if I was in a position where I had to have one. My most expensive acoustic was a Gibson LG-1 at about 450 dollars about 10 years ago. You are paying a lot for a brand name. When Godin ( Canada) can sell a solid wood guitar for 400 dollars and make a profit you have to wonder a bit.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull/The-Original-S6-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural-1274228079081.gc

savofenno likes this.
  3. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Myself, I'd probably top out at around $1200, give or take a few. But I do own two Gibson acoustics that came out of the custom shop in Bozeman, MT that my wife bought for me as gifts. I've never asked her what they cost, but there's no doubt that it was far more than $1200. They're both beautiful, well made guitars, and the best that I've ever owned for tone and playability.

We're living in a golden era for guitars, both acoustic and electric. You can get some really good guitars for not much money these days. My custom Gibsons are superlative, but I own some less expensive imports that are very nice instruments. So, much beyond $1200 will undoubtedly be something that's a gift from my wife in future guitar acquisitions. If it's me buying, they'll be much less expensive.

savofenno likes this.
  4. warsmokeeagle

warsmokeeagle TDPRI Member

I bought a 17 year old used Taylor 814 with Brazilian rosewood back and sides. Best sounding acoustic I've ever played, and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It was $2800.

5. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Holic

I paid 1500 for my Gibson J15, and that was the most I'd ever spent on a guitar. Someday though I want a J200, and will pony up whatever is needed. But that is the distant pipe dream future.

6. Nasty

Nasty Tele-Meister

Had a Guild D-55 stolen some years back, Thank god for good home owners insurance, After that I decided I liked my pre Fender Tacoma DM9ce better anyway, Not as pretty to look at but I only paid $500 for it as NOS, I'm thinking it will be the last acoustic I'll ever buy, Cant say that about electrics though,

7. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Not to be a nitpicker, but that model Seagull has a solid cedar top and laminated cherry back and sides. It is not all solid wood.

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks ...not nitpicky at all.. I am pretty sure the s-6 used to be solid cherry 20 years ago

:)... I guess the price is now jacked up to 600 for solid wood....still cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagull-Maritime-SWS-SG-Guitar/dp/B001RIY6F4

9. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

$4K absolute tops but I bet the next one will come in under $3K. Last expensive guitar was a Martin HD-35V that turned out to be a dog. Body had a weird harmonic @ F# that drove my ears crazy when playing in G. Never got used to the vintage neck like I thought I would either. Maybe a Martin HD-28 next time.

savofenno likes this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with that my good man. I bought my daughter a small bodied Yamaha when she was in college for about $179. It had an absolute great feel and sounded grand. (I almost kept it for myself).
    I only play my own enjoyment as well but I've allowed myself an indulgence with guitars. Some folks spend a lot of money on hunting or fishing, boating, motorcycles or other forms of leisure. I chose the guitar. You don't have to spend a ton find a great sounding guitar. It only has to please you.

Henry, JustABluesGuy and savofenno like this.
  11. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have the Sheryl Crow Special Edition Southern Jumbo. Amazing guitar. I was actually looking for a J45 and went to a store to play a J45, about the 12th one I had tried, and picked up the Sheryl Crow SJ to play it. A few strums later it was in the truck. Couldn't leave it.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Tele-Meister

Probably 3-4000 would buy me something I'd love

13. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

No argument there. In my years I've been into everything you listed except the motorcycle thing, and spent boatloads of money, especially on the boat, enjoying all of them with family and/or friends.
    Playing guitar has always been a mostly personal hobby for me and my Alvarez met my needs. Now that I've retired I've become interested in learning to play electric guitar. I still can't justify spending what I consider, in my circumstances, crazy money on a hobby only I enjoy, but, I've searched and found four good guitars, all different styles, that I enjoy and feel I could afford.

savofenno likes this.
  14. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Most I ever spent was $1500.00, for a new Taylor. These days, I'm perfectly content to have a gaggle of Larrivees, all 01, 02 or 03 series, found used for $400.00 to $599.00 max. Nice fiddles. Same total, more quantity.

If money were no object, I'd love to get a nice Collings, Huss & Dalton, Martin Golden Age D-18 or a vintage Gibson J-45.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  15. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

i've owned a bunch of them over the years - a couple of high-end Larrivees, a Lowden, a Ted Thompson, a couple of custom shop Gibsons...but I bought them all (barely) used and never paid $3k for any of them. That said, I gig with a $900 Eastman OM, and it doesn't matter because you're going to hear the pickup, no matter how good the guitar is.

P

16. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I think we paid $2,800 for a Gibson Hummingbird. Its a nice guitar but not worth what I paid. And wouldn't spend that kind of money on a guitar. I think J-45s can be had for far less.

savofenno likes this.
  17. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Given all the comments of <$2k, you don't want to know what I paid for a couple of my Custom Shop Martins.
    Do it again over any electric guitar, as construction, woods, etc mean far more.

3fngrs, Tommy Biggs and savofenno like this.
  18. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

$3,500, but it has to be handmade

19. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I spent 2k on a custom NoName guitar. The luthier is my friend so I only had to pay the 2k. The street price was $3.500. Great guitar, all that said, some guitars are worth it.

20. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I don't think I could set a dollar figure. It would completely depend on the instrument and my need (and/or desire) for it. I've spent as much as $6,000 on a stage instrument (a custom ordered Alembic bass - had to have it), but I was doing 250-300 dates a year at the time. My last three acoustic purchases have all been under $2000.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.