The Most Ubiquitous Vintage Fender Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by andrewRneumann, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Definitely the twin reverb.
    It was,is and will be the main BACKLINE amp against which all backline amps are measured by.

fretWalkr, mojo filters and zeke54 like this.
  2. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

The Twin, even the "old, old" ones are still quite desirable.

mojo filters likes this.
  3. thintel

thintel TDPRI Member

Gotta be the Twin Reverb. Probably the most recorded and gigged amp of all time.

mojo filters and zeke54 like this.
  4. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

My first amp was an old TV set with a 1/4" audio plugin in the back. Tore it all down to just the audio part and stuffed it in a pine box. My next amp I picked up at a garage sale. Didn't know much abut them then, It was a mid 60s blackface fender vibrolux combo with a double ten cabinet as part of the package. About 20 years later I sold it to a collector out in CA for $1000. Replace dit with a couple of Peaveys that I didn't really like and got a deal on a HRDLX. For the acoustic side I bought a Acoustasonic Jr with the effects built-in. Now I have two of those. Decided the HRD was to big and bought a SuperSonic 22. To many knobs and channels to fool with so I sold it and bought a DRRI. You can say what you want about the RI's but this is the best sounding amp I've ever had. I also have a super champ for practice and recording. End of story.

5. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Deluxe Reverbs , Twin Reverbs for sure . After that Super Reverbs and Pro Reverbs . In the '60s , saw a lot of Bandmasters and Showmans .

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I see more Bassman Heads than anything else anymore.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  7. Maguchi

Maguchi TDPRI Member

Tweed Deluxe, BF and SF Deluxe Reverb. Also Blackface or Silverface Twin

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Twin Reverb and the different heads (Bassman, Bandmaster and Showman). The Deluxe Reverb became popular after it was reissued.

9. pippoman

pippoman TDPRI Member

Ok, for starters, you do realize that the guys and gals reading this are guitar geeks and that the word “ubiquitous” is above our pay grade. Words like alnico, humbucker, beer, Bumblebee, and even capacitance (for those guys who graduated guitar tech 101) are more....alright, ubiquitous. There! Now you’ve got me sayin it.
    So, in answer to your op, I’d have to say, if given only 1 choice, the Deluxe Reverb, SF to be precise. Not saying it’s the most desirable (which for me it just might be), just likely the basic standard, common must have for a lot of studios and even stages.

andrewRneumann and 4pickupguy like this.
  10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well...if that supply and demand thing is true...Twin Reverb.
    As for what's being gigged right NOW...I'd say Princeton or Deluxe Reverb.

11. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Really two different catagories: 1) recording, and 2) stage gigs.

For recording in studio, hands down the Fender Princeton's 1955 - 1965 and the Fender Deluxes of the same years.

For the Stage, depends on the circumstances (do they expect you to go through the venue's "board / PA system" or whale it loud direct. So With PA the Fender Deluxes again. Direct ear staggeringly loud has to be the Fender Twin Reverb or Super Reverb for tone and volume.

Well that's what I've used since the 60's anyways.

Mine:
    1964 Princeton, 1961 Brown Princeton and 1957 Tweed Princeton.
    Princeton Triplets.jpg

Deluxe Bro's 1965's Deluxe and Deluxe Reverb
    Fender 65 Deluxe Brothers.jpg
    1965 Twin Reverb (NOT a reissue)
    Fender Twin Reverb 1965  front.jpg
    1964 Fender Super Reverb (not a reissue)
    1964 Fender Super Reverb front.jpg

If you can't afford a real vintage (or a reissue) Princeton or Deluxe with reverb, here are two great alternatives - early 1960's Gibson GA-15RVT and GA-20RVT models. These are my 1965 siblings. Just as loud as a Princeton or Deluxe, cleaner sound and break-up doesn't happen until literally full volume but it's sweat shread! These are half the price of the Fender's on the vintage market, a steal. The Gibson GA-45rvt "Saturn" will kickass with a Fender Twin Reverb any day.
    Gibson GA-15-20 RVT twins.jpg
    GA-45RVT_Saturn_ sml.jpg

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  12. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I notice you're still keeping the sleeper Ampegs under your hat ;)

13. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Shhhhhhhh ....DON'T mention the tube Ampegs until I've bought them all up and then double / triple the price when someone wants one.

tubegeek likes this.
  14. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

<cough>octal pre/7591<cough>

15. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

At pro semi-pro gigs in the 60s-70s I remember mostly Twin Reverbs and Super Reverbs. Bass players with a Bassman were very common and there was the occasional Showman.

I don't remember Deluxe Reverbs much at all...they were kind of under powered in those days. This was when PA systems were very minimal and for mostly for vocal use. Guitar players never wanted to risk not being loud enough! :)

In recording studios almost every one had a Twin Reverb. I can't recall seeing many tweeds and very few brown Fenders, they were considered dated and out of style. Most players wanted a shiny new amp.

16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I'm not that old (40's), but I have been seeing Deluxes and JCM800's kicking around gigs since I can remember.

pippoman likes this.
  17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Lol, Disclaimer:
    Although we will endeavor to use terms familiar to the layman musician and even guitar players throughout this thread, some technically advanced terms such as “notes” “practice” and “tempo”, cannot be avoided. Thank you for your patience and understanding...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    pippoman, stevemc and ndcaster like this.
  18. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

the 7591a amps sound the best though

19. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

AMEN!

Fender produced MORE of those sh**ty little solid-state $99 amps meant for X-Mas / Birthday / Graduation presents or for the clueless beginners than any quality Princeton, Deluxe, Pro, Bassman, Bandmaster, Twin or Super Reverb, etc. So does that make those cheapies "Ubiquitous" and therefore the right choice here??? H**L No! Sales and Production numbers does NOT equal "popular" or best, just a lot of sales at Sears, Walmart, Sweetwater, Guitar Center, QVC (on TV), Best Buy, etc were ringing up the register a lot.

I also have to laugh at people now that extol the wonderful merits of "Silver Face" Fenders, when just 20 years ago no one but a slightly advanced beginner would touch one with a 10-foot pole and remember when you all sneered at "CBS Era" Black Face Fenders?? What a bunch of hypocrites.

I have nothing against Silver Face Fender's, I own and love my SF '67 Vibro Champ and my '68 Vibrolux Reverb .... BUT I had to do quite a bit of "work over" to make it sound like an early Black Face model. Stock they DO NOT sound as good as any 64 - 66 Black Face. Forgot, I have a 67 SF Champ to that I "worked over". Nevertheless, those are the only SF's Fender's I have and everything else is Pre '66 Black Face and actually mostly Brown's or Blonde's and Tweed's, Champs thru Bassman/Bandmaster head/cabs from 55 - '63. There was more magic in what Leo had his hands in. JMHO on preferences.

1967 Fender Vibro Champ Silver Face.jpg
    1968 Fender SF Vibrolux Reverb.jpg

20. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Absolutely UNTRUE on the Amp side, but very nearly true on the Guitar side.

Back in the 50's thru 70's 90% of Fender's (Gibson, Rick, Gretsch, Epiphone, etc "majors") dealers were small "mom and pop" music stores. THey had to inventory Tambourines to Trombones, Drums, usually a few major brands of Guitars. HOW do think that they could possibly afford the $$$ for one each amp, let alone the SPACE FOR THEM??? Even Rick Neilsen's (Cheap Trick) dad's music store in Arlington Height's Illinois, one of Fender's and Gibson's larger "mom n pops" dealers rarely had more than 15 amps of ALL brands on the floor. Please, get real! In the "Pre-CBS" days there was NO Guitar Center's anywhere and only BIG Cities like Chicago, NYC, LA, Dallas, Houston, Boston, Philly, etc had "Big" music stores and they carried ALL the major brands! Even at that NONE of them was a Sears as far as floor space.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.