The Most Ubiquitous Vintage Fender Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by andrewRneumann, Jul 23, 2020.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I agree.

For me
    , it would be the SF Deluxe Reverb. I'll rank 2nd the Twin Reverb and Princeton Reverb...

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

2. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would say twin reverb

zeke54 likes this.
  3. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Thankee!

4. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

Last time I went to a bar to listen to music--about 2 years ago--it was a jazz trio down in Colorado Springs. Guitarist was playing a SFDR. And...they sounded great.

5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My vote (guess) would be a Deluxe. Of note, there are various iterations: tweed, BF, SF, with and without reverb, etc., so it's not just one amp.
    With the move toward lower volume levels, the Princeton is probably catching up. Just an opinion.

6. bambony

bambony TDPRI Member

I'm a live and studio engineer working for 37 years at shows and in studios. I've seen way more twins than anything else over that time. However over the last 10 years it is shifting to DRs as musicians ever increasing average age is resulting in declining back strength! Twins are so damn heavy and very few bands need that much power or clean headroom.

I've got a silver face vibrochamp. Still looking for a twin head after years of wanting one. They come up every now and then but I never win the bid.

Tony

StevesBoogie likes this.
  7. bambony

bambony TDPRI Member

I think you've got things well covered there....

tubelectron likes this.
  8. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I don't technically know of course, but the thing i see the most of second hand is twin reverbs. That could be because theres a lot of them, and it could just be because big amps are falling out of favor, so people are letting them go more often.

9. Wharfcreek

Wharfcreek TDPRI Member

Considering 'ubiquitous' to be the target here, I'm voting for either the Vibrolux Reverb, .... OR.... the Pro Reverb! Both these amps were REALLY under rated for their 'play-ability' and use either on stage or in recording circumstances. About every 'tweed' amp has a ga-jillion verified uses in either stage or recording, and the Twin........ Ha!.....perhaps the most highly regarded 'country' venue amp out there! Super Reverbs were used by 'Blues' guys all over the country (and 'world'?).... and Princetons and Deluxe Reverbs amps.....well......how many 'student' types owned and used those? BUT...... seems like everyone bypassed the Vibrolux or the Pro....and went from the Princeton or Deluxe straight to the Super or Twin. So, my vote goes to being a toss-up between those two amps! As I sit here now and think about it, I own both a Deluxe (2 actually) and a Twin......so I don't even have Vibrolux or a Pro! Guess that makes my comment even more 'worthy' of being legit! As for 'tweed' stuff, I don't think any of that can be considered 'ubiquitous'! 'Rare', or too 'edgy'......or even just too damn expensive! But, 'ubiquitous'.....nah....not that. And, anything from about 1990 on......like those 'hot rod' amps, or even the reproduction stuff..... again, maybe just not cool.....or maybe cool....but, not 'ubiquitous'. Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth! Fun thread...interesting comments! WC

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

tubegeek likes this.
  11. Steely_Ken

Steely_Ken Tele-Meister

Gigged Twin
    Recorded Deluxe
    Owned ?????

12. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

Twin. By far, but there also a ton of Deluxe Reverbs, HRD's, Vibroluxes and Princetons.

13. Notts77

Notts77 TDPRI Member

I choose the Champ 12 because I'm slightly bias!!! 2019-02-18 15.09.49.jpg

14. Wharfcreek

Wharfcreek TDPRI Member

LOL.........yea, guess I put my 'headstock' in my mouth on that one! Means almost the exact opposite of what I was thinking. In which case, I respectfully withdraw my prior comments, and would now completely agree with the answer being either the Twin (if we're talking 'gigged'), or a toss-up between the tweed champ or the Deluxe Reverb if we're talking being recorded! BTW, thanks for the 'vocab' lesson! WC

tubegeek likes this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I really think its a Twin. The Deluxe might be more used in the studio and recording thru the years and therefore talked about more, and certainly outsell new Twin's today, but I can honestly say, I've seen 5:1 Twins over Deluxes in my lifetime. I think the Deluxe might be more useful, but nonetheless, Twin's are prolific.

16. Spanner

Spanner TDPRI Member

The winner by a long mile in recording is... 5f2a Princeton Tweed.

17. Eggsterguy

Eggsterguy TDPRI Member

I cast my vote for the original blackface Twin Reverb.

18. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

The Deluxe Reverb is often quoted as the most recorded amp in history. The Twin Reverb is probably the most used amp as a back line provided by clubs and venues for traveling acts.

19. LittleSonny

LittleSonny TDPRI Member

Deluxe Reverb, if one counts original BF & SF, and all the reissues and clones. The number of reissues and clones, speaks volumes (pun intended).

20. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Basing it on what I've seen for sale/consignment at multiple vintage shops over the last several years, it seems to be a mixed bag on any given day ... DRs, PRs, TRs, VRs, Champs, Bandmasters, Dual Showmans, etc. SF, BF, tweed, cream and brown tolex etc. I couldn't really say any one of them that has seemed more prevalent but maybe Champs, PRs or TRs.

Interestingly, and surprising to me, a quick skim of production numbers in the book 'Fender Amps the First 50 Years', shows that thru the 70s into the early 90's, Dual Showman/Dual Showman Reverbs had the highest production, even more than Twins.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.