The most surprising "off-brand" guitar you've found?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rebelwoclue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

2. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

My Two Carlo Robelli guitars. Sam Ash specials, but really nice!!

I don't have pictures of mine, but here is a picture of one on ebay right now. (For A Great price actually) I have no association with the seller, BTW. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlo-Robelli-electric-guitar-/281269666460?pt=Guitar&hash=item417cfa829c
    [​IMG]

THICK maple top. About an inch thick in parts. Thick carved mahogany back. 25.5", 24 fret. Mine has a Really low action. Sounds incredible, though the pickups did suck and needed to be changed. Simple fix to get such a great sounding guitar.

My other is a PRS shape, set neck 24.75" 24 fret. Has a non locking floating trem. Excellent guitar also. Even though I changed the pickups out, I used the neck pickup in the other CR and it worked great. I bought those 11 years ago. Not sure that the quality is still the same today though.

3. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

+1 squire CV's

4. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Well even though Epiphone has been around a long time, it is still considered a Gibson knock off. I sold my Gibson LP because my traditional pro became my number 1 guitar.

5. slapshot

slapshot Tele-Meister

Teisco

6. Twang Gargoyle

Twang Gargoyle TDPRI Member

I picked up a Norma (hotlink attempt)with the fabled "gold foil" pickups a few weeks back, dumped a Squier for it. It sounds and plays like it should have an extra zero on the price. :D

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

First Acts and SX guitars. Both of these guitars cost about $100, both are great slabs of mahogany. The blue First Act would've been super nice at twice the price, and only went away to fund the Jazzmaster I have now. I still have the SX LP knockoff because the neck is wonderfully fat and the P90s are good. I may stick a Bigsby on it and make it my backup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i like my agile les paul.. think its a 3100 model. its see through blue. but i will say a bastard guitar gibson put out in 07 i guess after they bought the Kramer name.. ( now they have raised the prices and putting out reissues go figure ). its a weird guitar because it has a one piece mahogany ESP style SG body, yet a gibson les paul deluxe neck ( split diamond inlays, etc ) and Gibson USA pickups. was made in Korea. one strange Kramer. like some worker got bored on his break and just through a bunch of parts from the trash bin together, and said enjoy.. cause it rocks. best 100 bucks iv spent so far on a guitar. hell the grover tuners cost almost a 100.00 alone. go figure.

chris.

9. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

My most surprising guitar

I bought a Conrad 12 string acoustic guitar. Never heard of it but I figured with a good spruce top and Indian rosewood back and sides I couldn't go too wrong.
    I got it and it sounds good! I found out it was made in Japan by Kasuga, never heard of them either but they made good guitars for a reasonable price.

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

My ex-girlfriend had a dreadnought acoustic called a Picador. Her son had it stored for months in a non-climate-controlled shed, in a pressboard case.

When I met it, the guitar was mildewed on the top and back pretty badly...I didn't have much hope for it.

I cleaned it up, polished it, oiled the fretboard and restrung it--and it sounds as good as most Martins I've heard, and better than most Gibsons. I was astonished.

Anyone know anything at all about this brand? Are they someone's second line, like Sigma used to be?

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

a kid in my school band has got an older Aria strat .... I gave it a good set up.. nice guitar..:D

even though we play through small practice amps and he's on the bridge PU mostly.... it sounds great.... never ice picky or thin...

I got him a peavey envoy 110 recently and a DS pedal.... now it sounds even better....:cool:

Attached Files:

12. Tarbender

Tarbender TDPRI Member

My modified Vintage - switched the electronics and wow. Gets played more than my Gibson LP.

[​IMG]

13. sub006

sub006 TDPRI Member

Don't know if it counts as an "off-brand", but my $99 Vintage Blonde/white pickguard 2004 Squier '51 is my favorite player out of all the electrics in the house, some far more expensive.

IMO Indonesia can build high-value guitars with GREAT finishes and performance at entry-level prices.

14. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Probably a schecter tele

15. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Stagg A-300 Jazz
    I paid $50.

[​IMG]

16. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I have a WWII vintage Slingerland New Marvel acoustic that my late FIL left me. The thing is dark, sweet, and evil sounding and is by far my favorite guitar to just pick up and play.

Blows the doors off of the 1980's Yamaha dreadnought I have and that one is no piece of junk in it's own right!

-H

edit: I also owned a early '60s Vox Sidewinder bass that was the BEST bass I have ever played, however the neck on that one slowly turned into a pretzel!

17. Edgewood

Edgewood TDPRI Member

I have a Traditon S2002 DLX Les Paul that absolutely the best guitar I own. Beats my USA Gibson, USA Washburn, USA Fender. I had a Fannin Acoustic years ago that was a very nice guitar also.

18. JRicoC

JRicoC Tele-Meister

I totally agree with you on this. I bought one for $99 when First Act was blowing them out. I sold it about two years later only to buy one off of eBay earlier this year for $250 ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.