The most surprising "off-brand" guitar you've found?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rebelwoclue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Sunburst CSL (Ibanez didn't know this at the time, long before t'internet was in common use) Les Paul copy bolt on neck best LP I've ever played. Was my second guitar and I stupidly sold it, It's still the reason I don't own a LP cause I never played another I like anywhere near as much as that £15 masterpiece.

2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In my travels, I've seen a lot of Cort guitars and I've noticed they are quite popular, for good reason, overseas, as they are affordable and good quality. Whereas, the American branded instruments are just too expensive for most musicians in developing countries.

3. jsal362

jsal362 Tele-Holic

I have a Parkwood, which is also a Cort product. Anytime friends come by, they always want to play my Martin OM-28v. So I pick up the Parkwood and play with it. I love my Martin,and won't sell it. But every time I hear those guitars side by side, I start thinking about the price difference, and want to throw up a little bit. It doesn't have the Martins volume, but it doesn't miss it by a hair. I have nothing but good things to say about Cort.

4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

This one makes me wonder if I've been making a mistake buying expensive guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

My Gladiator Double cut Les Paul Jr. is a pretty rockin' little guitar. Got one a couple years ago right before Gibson dropped the hammer on them.

6. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

SX
    Jay Turser
    Dillion
    New York Pro
    Eleca

7. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

I understand exactly what you're sayin Beachbum...

8. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

My Tacoma DR 14 is one flatpicking monster. So what if the shades of the top are a little off? It leaves most everything else in the dust.

Attached Files:

9. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

I love my Wechter Pathmaker 3101 bunches. It is the best live performance acoustic I have ever owned-the three way pickup system makes gettin a good sound through a pa an easy 2 minute process, and it plays like a dream. I traded a Korean Alvarez that I paid $200 for and never liked. I'm looking for another one for open tunings.
    [​IMG]

10. hshight

hshight Tele-Meister

How does it sound unplugged? As I recall, these guitars are Pleked.

11. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, it was Plek'd in the factory. Unplugged, it sounds like a thin, funny shaped acoustic with too many gadgets stuffed in it-kinda uninspiring.....but it sure takes all the fun outa getting a nice acoustic sound live.

12. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Me luv my '86 MIJ Westone Spectrum!

13. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

This Univox/ Matsumoku Les Paul copy from the mid-70s. Les Paul killer extraordinaire. Free from a friend + $100 in upgraded hardware.

The other day I went to my local Gibson dealer and played about 8 guitars -- Standards, Traditionals, Specials -- to convince myself that I wasn't just hallucinating about the great sound and playability of my old Univox.

I wasn't.

Attached Files:

14. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I have the 'LP killer' Yamaha SBG 2100 from 1986. The neck thru design with a brass plate on the bridge just makes this thing sustain for days. The Spinex pickups sound a little different , but they deliver the LP sound. I think Gibson threatened a lawsuit, but whether a settlement was made or some other arrangement, no lawsuit materialized. The designation SBG was a new name, from the previous SG moniker. They still make this guitar in limited quantities, for about $3000, and with a lot of fancy binding. This guitar is identical to the SG 3000, sans the blingy binding, Santana's former guitar in the 70's and early 80's before he changed to PRS.

15. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

AXL Badwater Series. The SRO is a screamer. Awesome neck and great pickups. Had it since 2008 and I play it daily. The V is great as well. It's from 08 also.

Attached Files:

16. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've had dozens that apply, but I'll go with this one for now. Foto flame Austin Tele with SD Antiquity pickups.

[​IMG]

17. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

The DeArmond brand that Fender resurrected yielded some very nice solid body and semi hollow body guitars. The M-72 and M-77 models were particularly nice. The Goldtone humbuckers sounded great to me; no reason to replace them. Here's an M-72 I used to own.

[​IMG]

18. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

Westbury. They are great early 80's Matsumoku Japan made guitars that have a cool body shape and are spectacular quality. They came stock with Dimarzios, usually a super distortion in the bridge. I've owned a deluxe, custom, and standard in the past and sold them. The deluxe I had I should have never sold.

Their prices you find on ebay at buy it now set prices are, IMO, overly inflated. When somebody puts one up for auction they tend to sell for 60% of the buy it now prices that some people list them for. I probably won't be inclined to jump on them again anytime soon unless if it's an auction.

You can get comparable build quality guitars for those prices for new guitars these days.

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Michael Kelly Patriot. I bought one of the early ones off Ebay and was really surprised at how well made it was and sounded. They were just under $300 back then.

20. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

+1 on both Westburys and Westones.

Most recently this lowly DeArmond has stolen my heart, as a nice singlecut with a chunky-ish nck and two very nice stock pickups.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.