The most surprising "off-brand" guitar you've found?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rebelwoclue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Yeah... there is coolness here.

2. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

I can't believe I missed this post. I like to pipe in whenever Italia guitars are mentioned. I've had a couple (including the Rimini 12) and i gotta say I that they're great guitars. I don't know if I'd call them "off brand" though. They're too expensive to be considered that in my mind.

3. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

I picked up this old Regal in a pawn shop for cheap and it plays and sounds great.

[​IMG]

4. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Dillion Semi-hollow. Korean built Mahogany body with maple top. I've had a number of Korean semi hollows and this has been the best. I bought it 3 days before Daddy's went out of business. I actually followed it all around New England on their website till it made it to the store near me.....and lost nearly $200 in asking price.

[​IMG]

5. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of my Oscar-Schmidt OE30 Delta King and OE20 LP copy. My Jay Turser JT-50 SG copy is a nice guitar as well.

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Old MIJ Arias aren't so "junky". if you've followed the progress of inexpensive guitars from labor market to labor market anything MIJ is pretty good by today's standards.

Another Rondo Music disciple.

I was tryin' to get a couple hardtail MIK Ibanez RGs together as platforms for various humbuckers. I want a fair comparison between several different brands of PAFs. Then I'll compare some hotter humbuckers. I want to end up with one guitar with PAFs, one with something hotter and a third one with something hotter still.

I can't argue with the Agile AL- 2000. A couple hundred bucks? Done deal!

I may have mentioned I've been into Ibanez since the "lawsuit era". It's time to resurrect my old lawsuit era Strats and toss 'em in with a few new planks from Rondo.

7. Bugeyed Earl

Bugeyed Earl Tele-Meister

That bass has a lot of similar components to a Univox that I have, loosely patterned on an EB-2. The pickups are really good...

8. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

My Recently Aquired Signature [Tanglewood] Les Paul

[​IMG]

Plays like butter. Looks better than any guitar I've ever owned. What's not to like?

9. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

I have a black one made it through a fire still a great guitar!!!!

10. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, the pickups are good. The neck and overall build is too. It was made by Matsumoku, who had a good reputation, and may have made your Univox as well, since they made a lot of different branded instruments.

12. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

I've found 3 actually.
    1. Peavey T-20 Bass with an upgraded T-40 pickup. Heavy as heck...weight wise and sound wise!
    2. Washburn HB-30 that I bought for $100. Like a Cherry 335, but I upgraded the anemic-sounding bridge pickup to a DiMarzio Fred. That $20 Fred pickup is the best $20 I've ever spent on a guitar!!
    3. I bought a friends Peavey "CAR" Reactor (T-style) guitar for $70. I'm the 3rd owner of the guitar...which had an upgrade of Rio Grande pickups and Kluson's Fender vintage style tuners. Best $70 I've ever spent on a guitar.

Looks like these guitars...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. dharleyfan

dharleyfan Tele-Meister

I REALLY like that Maestro Baldwin, I'll have to check those out.

14. JJLC

JJLC TDPRI Member

my Combat Custom Guitars Les Paul Model pisses all over nearly every other LP I have ever owned; it gets played waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than my Tokai LS-320 :eek:

another odd reality; the Combat is pretty much the only guitar I have owned out of nearly 400 guitars that has an original nylon 6/6 nut :idea:

[​IMG]

the fact that she is a real looker is just icing on the cake :p

[​IMG]

big grin :D
    [​IMG]

15. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

I had a Framus that was kinda like an ES 330 that had the zero fret and cool sounding pickups. Wish I still had it( of course). It was red with a fake' F hole ( sticker) and short scale neck. Did I mention that I wish I still had it?

B

16. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Not sure if you can call Yamaha an off brand, but this was my son's guitar in High School when he was playing quite a bit of jazz. It beats the heck out of any 335 I've ever played by a mile. He hasn't played it in years. He had been wanting to sell it, so I bought it from him along with the Reunion Blues gigbag. Funny thing is we bought it for him originally along with the bag, so now I've paid for it twice, but I am so glad to keep it in the family.

Attached Files:

17. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

I've 2 Aria pro instruments, 1 was a guitar and the other a mandolin. They both were great on the job instruments.

18. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

I had a Hondo Fame tele (Tokai) that I bought in the late 80's new for $125. Great guitar, traded it in for was I paid for it and picked up a Am Std Strat which I sold to Marshall amp restoration hobbyist because he wanted a strat to test the Jimi factor on his restorations. I broke even but I still think I should of held onto the Hondo... look around at what prices they are fetching today.

Attached Files:

19. Bugeyed Earl

Bugeyed Earl Tele-Meister

Here's another Hondo that defied the prevailing sentiment (at the time) towards the brand, a really nice playing instrument. They come up on ebay pretty frequently, I'm tempted to replace this one that I traded away.

[​IMG]

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I'd seen guys playing Electras back in the 70's and I knew the were an " off brand" knock off of Gibson LP's,but I'd never owned or played one. Well about 2 yrs ago I walk into a pawnshop and I see 2 MPC's and 1 bolt-on neck Electras. I was able to snag all 3 for a killer price. Anyway the necks feel great on them and they really sound good. The Treble/Bass expander and the Phaser modules inside the MPC guitars is awesome. I was really surprised by the playability and tone I get out of these guitars.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.