The most surprising "off-brand" guitar you've found?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rebelwoclue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. tabdog

tabdog Tele-Meister

1970 National SG430-2GT. Japanese import,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tabdog

2. LACampbell. esq

LACampbell. esq Tele-Meister

"Dover" Teisco Solid body, mosrite-esque viola shaped guitar. tiny neck, short scale. Stays in tune even when using the whammy bar
    [​IMG]

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd say my late seventies Hondo 2 H-760 "Olivia" applies.
    [​IMG]
    Most Hondo's I encountered were really crappy, plywood POS guitars but this is one of their more upmarket models, made by Matsumoku in Japan.

I paid less than 90 Euro for it and how can you doubt such a beautiful ash body?, a little cleaner in the pots and some WD-40 in the tuners was all she needed. The reason why I call her Olivia? There's a vintage sticker of the movie "Grease" and when I think of that movie Olivia Newton John comes to mind...

4. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

A no name nylon string acoustic. Got it for $20 with a busted headstock. Glued it up, tuned and it's actually a very nice sounding guitar! It's a beater for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it live in a pinch if my Norman (an off brand on its own) took a dump.

That Norman is a fantastic dreadnought acoustic! Solid spruce top with cherry laminate sides, back and neck, rosewood fretboard. The sound is huge and the other guitarist I play with absolutely loves the sound of it. Even compared to his Taylor!

5. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

'82 Electra X270

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

^Oh man, I'm diggin that Electra!

I've owned some great sounding cheapos, some nice playing ones, and some that were neither.

Right now my cheapo is a stock S/X P/J bass. Its really pretty darn nice. With some better pots and a little fretwork Id put it up against most any Fender.

7. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Same for me. I have a TW45NSB which I play at open mics where it goes up against Martins, Taylor's and Takamines and it always gets compliments on its sound.

8. cjrincon03

cjrincon03 Tele-Meister

I have a strat copy, I got it for $10! It plays really well, low action , no buzzing, stays in tune with whammy dives. What more can you ask for? I sanded the logo off the headstock and relic'd it. Don't remember the name. Was definitely a cheapo.

In high school I worked in a restaurant where my boss played guitar, his dad owned the place, most nights after closing his band would practice in the dining area and we could groove while cleaning up the kitchen, after i got done I would usually try and sit in.

One day during lunch my boss came into the kitchen and said "come with me" we went outside and there was a guy sitting on his tailgate with a strat copy and a fender mini amp. He tried selling them both for $60, but I said all I have is $15 for the guitar he said ok and I pulled out my wallet and only had $10. He took it anyway . Boss got the amp for $20 I think. He didn't know the guy, I really don't remember how he came across it.

9. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

My Italia Rimini 12 string. Really good quality guitar:

[​IMG]

10. Telecritter

Telecritter Tele-Meister

image-473124950.jpg

This red Supro Bermuda - it has single coil pickups that are funky and gnarly

11. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

I have one in red, like it a lot :)

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

i rather like this Harley Benton Jazzmaster type .I sorted a few bits out like pots and a fret dress but for just over a ton its great value .pickups sound good as well.I rather like offsets .:D

Attached Files:

13. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

This Grand Suzuki is a wonderful instrument. I did put some humbucker sized p90s in there though..

Flatwound strings, Fender amp, little bit vibrato en a good amount of reverb = soul heaven!

[​IMG]

14. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Recent Silvertone S-type, these are/were a "budget" line from Samick, found one in a thrift for $40 (W/stand & strap:eek:) set up really well, played great sounded like a Strat. Sold it for a bit more to a guy at a jam who just HAD to have it :lol:

Hohner acoustics are a lot of bang for the buck, I had a Countryman that was pretty rough, paid @$25 of it from a Sam Ash, cleaned it up & it played really well with a nice sound. Hohner also did a "professional" line of S-& T- types that are usually < than $200 and are viable (if heavy) alternatives to MIM Standards.

Something else to look for are early guitars from what became LaSiDo/Godin. Mostly acoustics, the aforementioned Norman is the most common, but there are others including classicals. I have had two and while somewhat crude in construction compared to the current lines, they play well and sound reasonable. Sold under a wide variety of names, pretty much any guitar from Quebec is an offering of some permutation of the tangled web that led to Seagull/Godin. often found for less than $100.

THe FA VW guitar is surprisingly well made with alnico pu's that are somewhere between 'buckers and '90's the onboard pre amp (based on the V-Stack pedal that was originally a $$ boutique item) takes some dialing in but after you get the hang of it there are some cool sounds to be had. A fun thing to have about. Nice bag too. A common CL item for $150 or so.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  15. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

I had a DeArmond M-65C that, for $85, was a great guitar. It played smoothly and had surprisingly sweet tones from the humbuckers. I feel like pickups are usually where cheaper guitars really fail.

16. CovKid

CovKid TDPRI Member

I have exactly the same guitar that I use in a 60s band I am in. Great value! Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuR9ysxcjog

17. Jeremy Blaze

Jeremy Blaze Tele-Meister

My SX EG6
    it's a 335 knock off.

It's my number one! Only mods were gotoch tuners. ARB stop bar and tail piece.

18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My budget find is a bass. It's a 60's or 70's Japanese SG style short scale bass. The brand is "Pan." I hesitate to call it an EB-3 copy, because it has staple top pickups, which put it in a whole other camp. This bass feels better than just about any other bass I've picked up in awhile and it sounds great too.

The other thing I like is that if you look at the headstock, it's apparent that they made no effort to hide the fact that it's Asian made. I love that.

[​IMG]

19. TheHoneyMonster

TheHoneyMonster Tele-Meister

mine is a Westone Cutlass. great player, but the frets need a little work

20. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

My El Degas Goldtop copy from the 70s is my favourite player right now

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.