The most surprising "off-brand" guitar you've found?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rebelwoclue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I just picked up an S20 Tradition Gold Top that beats any Epi or Studio I've played!
    How about you?

2. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Depends on what you mean by an "off-brand" - a cheap-o? The best cheap guitar I'd ever owned was either a Washbirn HB 35 or a B.C. Rich NJ neck-through Mockingbird. I've never really owned anything cheaper than that, that was worth playing.

The best unusual brand I have ever played is Metropolitan. definitely not cheap, but I have owned 3 and all 3 were the 3 best sounding humbucker-equipped guitars I have ever played, with the best necks I have ever played. naturally, I sold or traded them all.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

My 3 Squier CVs. Around here some consider those an "off brand". ;)

4. TeleTeebs

TeleTeebs Banned

a junky aria pro i had rocked hard

5. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

An Oscar Schmidt Delta King OE-30 (335-style).

6. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

I have a Tanglewood acoustic that sounded as good as most of the Martins etc. I tried. It's a keeper for sure.

7. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

I had the orange one. It was truly a sleeper.Also the Peavey JF-1 335 style is a very good player.

8. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Stagg A-300 from craigslist $50.00.
    This guitar is great and is 90% of a Gibson semi-hollow.
    It was a good day when this one came home.
    [​IMG]

9. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Gibson Maestro Baldwin Education Series Studio. $69.00 ebay.
    This may be a "low-end" "off brand" but, it is a screamer and very fun to play.
    A very pleasant surprise.

[​IMG]

10. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

This one:

[​IMG]

My late '80s/early '90s Encore Strat copy. Sounds more "Stratty" any Strat I've ever played! Cheap and cheerful and bloody awesome!

11. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

I got a Tradition G12 (Strat HSS copy) on Craigslist for $110 loaded with Dimarzio Area 58 & 61's and a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. It absolutely kills! Got a nice heft to it and sustains for days. I've never been a fan of basswood body guitars, but this one just does it. I've also had a basswood body Tele that I played for a while. Fit and finish on it was excellent.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm a traditionalist with acoustic guitars. I play acoustic & electric 50/50 and my favorite acoustics are traditional Martins (fyi).

A co-worker bought a guitar for his wife and it had not been restrung in two years. He asked if he could bring it to work. Could I take it home and restring it?? I said "Buddy bring it in, I can restring it and tweak it and clean it in my office in 25 minutes"

He told me it was a Cort. I have an early 90's Ibanez double cut that was made in the Cort factory and I know that they private-label some nice guitars out of that factory but I thought .......a Cort? You bought a gift Cort for your wife?? I might have chose a Yamaha or something else.

The neglected Cort sounded like a bell. It was beautiful with the nasty strings. It played well. I was looking in the soundhole with a mirror on a stick and it had some glue boogers on the ribbon work (they build them fast) but overall the thing was very nice and when I put new D'Addario 12-53 80/20's on it the sound was amazing.

I was really impressed.

13. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

No name MIJ 70s LP copy with a plywood body. Everything you'd expect to scream cheapo/ bad guitar, except with a few upgrades (tuners and electronics) this one's a monster.

Attached Files:

14. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

The SX Furrian Wiggle Stick Model. Great guitar, add new pickups and it's a contender for the crown.

Attached Files:

15. Rusrant

Rusrant Tele-Meister

Agile al2k's. Got a goldtop that once setup and swapped the pickups, was every bit as good as anything 5-10x it's price.
    That said, ordered a Tigereye and wasn't even half the guitar. Sent it back unfortunately.

16. Dejected_Ridge

Dejected_Ridge Tele-Meister

My two Douglas Spads (with pickup, tuners and bridge upgrades) are my two main guitars. Set maple neck w/ rosewood + jumbos, basswood body (green is maple quilt top), thicker flat neck, well balanced and resonant - I may have to collect them all. ;)

[​IMG]

-DJ

17. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

70's Hondo LP copy. Had D'Marizo pups and the lowest action ever! Don't know why I ever let it go.

18. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

Almost bought a Hohner ES-335 copy a few years ago, that thing was incredible and much cheaper than an Epi Dot! Must've been Peerless-built...felt a lot like my Korean Epi Riviera.

I've played a lot of First Acts that were surprisingly good.

19. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Washburn HB-30, a limited edition in an "amber" (really more like Gretsch orange) stain over flamed maple. A beautiful, well made and great sounding guitar. I won it on an Ebay auction from Warpdrive Music in Milwaukee for $165.

20. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Washburn X-200 Pro for a little metal now and then. It has Seymour Duncan PUPS that some like on their Les Pauls. Rings like a bell when clean!

Does double duty...wife likes it as decoration in the living room. :)
    image-3538036749.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.