1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The most 'strat-sounding' Pups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by CarolCorn, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got Texas Specials in one of my Strats. IMO they're the most Stratty with plenty of gooey quack.

CarolCorn likes this.
  2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, definitely wasn't meaning to undermine that.

Too me, though, it's like saying blue is better than teal. While I like blue more, in most situations, and teal makes me wanna vomit , I'd never say one color is "better" than another.

They are all just tools of an artist, as are sounds. ;)

BeatTellender and CarolCorn like this.
  3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I have that exact project underway now on my bench. It's a partscaster made from leftover parts I can't identify. I'm stalled out at the moment until I have the time to deepen the neck pickup cavity. The Strat pickup going in is from an ESP 400. The guitar started out as a Tele, then became an Esquire, but I missed having a neck pickup. I might be able to finish it up this weekend.

CarolCorn and Peegoo like this.
  4. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

Warmoth

CarolCorn likes this.
  5. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I put Strat pickups in all my Teles. If the routing is ugly, it's covered by the pickguard anyway. Latest one I installed is a TV jones-----talk about bright and clear! Loving it.

CarolCorn likes this.
  6. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

Vote here for the GFS Fatbody. That and a Fralin stock hybrid in the bridge is a winning combination.

sequencepro, drmordo and CarolCorn like this.
  7. pete_lecaster

pete_lecaster TDPRI Member

A real strat pickup is by far the best imo.

Playing teles w strat neck pickup since 1983.

If you mount it without the pastic cover it fits right in.//PP

CarolCorn likes this.
  8. BD56

BD56 TDPRI Member

I had great results with Creamery Pickups' 'Extra Width' Tele Neck pickup. Truly mellow.
    Paired it with a Creamery Red 79 Bridge pickup!
    https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/

CarolCorn likes this.
  9. Yann G

Yann G TDPRI Member

I don't know what this guys is worth but he sure know a lot more than I do!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    GGardner and CarolCorn like this.
  10. jordan86

jordan86 TDPRI Member

I’ve not played the twisted Tele but accomplished the above by removing the neck Pickup cover on a Fralin Blues Special. I replaced it with an open top metal cover. Still fat and warm, like a Tele. But tons more clarity and attack, like a strat. I believe you can order them like that from Fralin. For less output, do stock 2% over, open top cover.

The problem with a strat pickup could be polarity. If it’s not wound to match your bridge, then you start chasing your tail trying to fix the problem you created.

11. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

I have a Strat and two Tele's. I can play SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, and any other vintage Strat tone all day long with the "Twisted-Tele". My other Tele has a Dimarzio "Twang King" and it is very similar to the Twisted, maybe just a tad less bottom end, but great Stratty sounding pickup also. Both are inexpensive and when I am limited in space and can only bring one guitar to a live performance and I end up bringing one of my Tele's, I don't feel like I am missing my Strat. I hear great things about the Lollar "Royal T", and the Don Mare "S-Telly". Harmonic Design has a "Mini-Strat", and Rio Grande has the "Tallboy". All have great Stratty reputations. Another great one I used to have was the Barden Vintage Tele neck. Very Stratty, and has the most volume. You can get it real close to the strings without any issues and keep up with any bridge pickup. Very Stratty - but very expensive. If I were budget minded, I would go with the Twisted as a first choice, and Twang King as a second choice. For pickups over $100, any of the ones I mentioned would work great. Good luck!

CarolCorn likes this.
  12. mdphillips1956

mdphillips1956 TDPRI Member

I go with trying the cover off idea, I always take them off because being chrome and the primary (I believe?) addition to make ferrous steel non ferrous (stainless steel) and thereby almost completely non magnetic, the cover will reduce or mess up the magnetic flux and reach of the internal pickup coil.
    With the chrome cover off the tone is clearer and stronger (to my ear), and being you can now raise the pickup higher you get more signal and less amped up hum.
    Mark............

13. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it works.
    Here my Squier Tele with Strat pickup in a Tele pickguard.

Tele.gif

CarolCorn and Peegoo like this.
  14. dv

dv TDPRI Member

+1 on original Bill Lawrence Keystones - the original Bill Lawrence (RIP) whose company is run by his widow Becky and family. Simply have not found better sounding single coil sounds anywhere in 30 years of guitaring. :)

Piotr and CarolCorn like this.
  15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Not much tail chasing IME - just reverse the neck pickup leads. That's actually the advantage to the Tele - remove just two screws to get under the control plate.

I like to mix and match different brands and styles of pickups. The minor aggravation/annoyance of being out of phase/polarity is IMO worth the potential sonic improvements.

Mr_Martin likes this.
  16. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

Don't know much about pups for teles, but I bought an American Standard Strat a couple of years ago because they came with Custom Shop Fat 50s. Best sounding strat pups I've heard.

LL

17. dbwindhorst

dbwindhorst TDPRI Member

Since money is tight, you might first experiment with removing the chrome cover. I tried that on a Tele econo-build and love the tone, even though it's just a cheap generic ceramic pup.

dw

CarolCorn likes this.
  18. 66 Esquire

66 Esquire TDPRI Member

I use a hand wound Strat pickup in the neck position of my 1966 Esquire.. I have a twisted Tele and A Dimarzio Twang King.... both great Twisted Tele clear and warm, Twang King more SPANK..

CarolCorn likes this.
  19. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’m sure it’s already been well covered but I’ve done the Strat pickup in a Tele neck with good results and I’ve had some good luck taking the cover off of the stock Tele pickup. Without the cover most Tele neck PUs seem to get more of a Strat “flavor”.

CarolCorn likes this.
  20. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

Have the APC Paisley T300N Tele neck pup and love it.

21. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The issue is not magnetizm affecting the sound--it's capacitive coupling between the coil and the metal cover that does it.

Many non-ferrous metals, even though they're not magnetic, are paramagnetic. This means they behave like a magnet (via inductance) when in a moving magnetic field (see Lenz's Law).

Want to see some black magic?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.