the most outstanding acoustic guitar you have ever played?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by slinger, May 24, 2018.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

"you'll never get famous if you can't go along" Chet Atkins (father of Trace Atkins)

2. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

1930 OM 45. I have played three. The last one belonged to Bob Weir. It was not as nice as the other two. Tony McManus played the best of the three. He and I agreed it was the finest Martin we had ever touched.

The owner sold it for $225,000 and bought one of the 14 OM 45 Deluxes ever made.

He admitted that the one he sold to buy the Deluxe sounded better.

Bill likes this.
  3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My j-45

[​IMG]

SpaceMonkey and getbent like this.
  4. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I owned an 12 string Alvarez K.Yairi signature that I should have kept. I found it new at a small music store and convinced the manager he'd never sell a $1700 acoustic in a mall.

I think I still paid over a grand but the sound and finish were awesome...traded it for a strat.

5. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Holic

I just bought a 1920s Tonk Bros Lyon & Healy at the Fort Worth Guitar Show (formerly Guitarlington.) Totally rebuilt by a guy named Dan Lambert out of El Paso. He's a retired music professor who fixes up these funky things. Mine has a spruce top and an oak back. Dan rebraced it, made a new bridge, then put two carbon fiber rods under the new fingerboard. She's not a looker, but man, I can't get enough of this guitar. It rings for days. I loaned it to a friend of mine for a recording session yesterday and I'm having withdrawals. My '69 Martin D-18 is getting lonely.

I had been jonesing for a rebuilt guitar from Baxendale, who takes old Harmony guitars and does a similar process, but I'm sold on Dan's work now.

Here's some pics. The guitar has a weird discoloration on the lower part of the soundboard. Dan thought it might have been sun damage, but who knows. I'm not looking for pristine, just something that sounds great.

It's a grand concert size.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I was visiting a relative who was working at Uluru ( Ayers Rock) and staying in the employees compound. Met a C&W singer who was using a Gibson J-200 and tod him I had an original Epiphone Texan. He invited me to his accommodation the next day to see and hear my guitar.
    Then he brought out a 1928 Gibson L-00 which he'd bought from Beeb Birtles of the Little River Band.
    He had the receipts , certification etc. It, and it's case looked like crap. Boy was I wrong. That was 30 years ago and I can still hear that guitar in my head. BEST guitar I have ever played.
    BTW, he couldn't get an insurance company to give him reasonable rates. so it travelled with him, plus it was too valuable to leave at his home 2000 miles away. GREAT GUITAR.

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Thomas Norwood steel string. It's a D-35 style, but with some not so minor tweaks. It has the D-35 three-piece back. But it uses a Spanish neck joint and bent (i.e. not notched) lining. Brazilian rosewood, spruce top, ebony board, flame maple binding. Three piece mahogany neck. It is loud as hell, punchy, and exceptionally tonally balanced. I've played some nice-ass acoustics, but nothing compares to the Norwood.

#2 is my 1968 Guild F-50, which is an all maple jumbo (even the neck – also a three piece). It's the only acoustic that I don't feel is significantly lacking next to the Norwood.

8. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

A used made in USA Martin DM. I saw this particular one hanging next to a used Taylor ( I don't remember the model of the Taylor). I played them both for over an hour and kept gravitating back to the Martin. I couldn't believe how full, clear and loud that DM sounded. I hadn't heard any Martin sound that good in years. I should have just bought the Martin right there. The Martin and the Taylor were about the same price used. Well, I hesitated, and went home to think about it for a day, as I really couldn't justify buying another acoustic guitar. That sound from that Martin drove me nuts all night long. I just had to have it. So, I went back the next day to buy it and it was gone! I couldn't believe it. Since then, (several years ago) I've spotted a couple of DM's on CL for sale and one in a local pawn shop and tried them out, hoping they'd sound like the first one, but they didn't quite have that feel and sound that I still have in my head. That was one heck of a nice sounding and playing guitar. Not fancy to look at at all, but it was a beautiful sound cannon. I'm still looking for that right one.

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's easy. The most outstanding guitar that I've ever played would be -- the next one that I buy!

[Same answer I have to "Which one's you're favorite?"]

10. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Or the last one, depends on my mood.

11. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

12. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

13. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

51 Martin 00 18. But aside from that...my Blueridge BR40. Goes with me everywhere.

15. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

[QUOTE="Though a buddy of mine has a Gurian from the '70's that's pretty much to die for. One of the most responsive guitars I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

I’ve got a Gurian I bought in 76. I’ve played hundreds of acoustics and dozens of great guitars. Is it the best? Who could say but it’s very good. It has a very distinctive voice and records great. There are a lot of excellent guitars being made. I’ve played excellent Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, Guilds, Huss and Daltons and Yairis. Made in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 2ks. I’ve also played lots of average and below guitars in the same decades from the same factories many with very high price tags.

16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Had a friend who owned a 1930s Martin D28, and it was an amazing guitar.
    My brother owned a 1950s Gibson J200, and that was an amazing guitar also.

17. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Two immediately spring to mind:
    One is my 000-18e Retro - the sobs in one of our local stores hung it on a wall just where I could pick it up and play it. Once that happened, resistance was futile as you might say.
    The second is a friend’s D28. Physically I prefer the slightly smaller 000, but that thing just sound immense (and is why I was idly trying Martins in the first place).
    And as a special mention my old guitar teacher has a 1930s National that I played on a few occasions. For playing slide that thing is gorgeous.

18. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Best 12 string I ever played was Vox ply body with a screwed on neck from 66 or 67. The thing had a tonal balance like a harpsichord.

From the land beyond beyond chime.

It had a flat neck in tune to the 12th fret and played great. The retail value of the guitar at that point was under $150.00.

The owner wouldn’t sell it to me but let me play it all summer.

2nd place to a Guild 212. The maple jumbo Washburn I ‘ve got isn’t bad and has chime but that Vox had a voice. Probably firewood by now.

If I sound like some old man going on about an old girlfriend....that’s about right.

19. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.