the most outstanding acoustic guitar you have ever played?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by slinger, May 24, 2018.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

4 or 5 years ago, the wife and i went to Nashville. Yeah, went to Carter and Gruhn, didnt play any acoustics there. We went driving, to Franklin, then to Liepers Fork and there, there was a little artsy shop that had a whole slew of vintage acoustic instruments on the wall in a corner with couches and chair and stuff. A while bluegrass ensembles worth, everything. The owner said they're for sale, but she wasn't trying to sell them. Likes them there since lots of country stars live close by and occasionally all star jam sessions spontaneously break out. Too cool!

Anyhow, there was a 1955 Gibson super jumbo and a 1940???? Martin D28 or 42, can't remember. Had a pretty sharp V neck. Even with old strings, the tone was amazing. Full, resonant, complex, 10x better than ANY acoustic I've ever played, before or since. Like, catch you off guard good.

Too bad I didn't have $25k to blow

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've played one of the new Taylor K14ce Builder's edition V-brace crazy things recently... didn't really get to hear it but it is probably the fanciest/most outstanding guitar I've laid hands on. I've played a Taylor 912ce as well, also excellent, got to play that one longer in a quieter room and enjoyed it more. It had dead strings though.. elixirs, but they were all frayed over the soundhole.

That said crazy fancy/expensive guitars don't do a lot for me.. I am very content to truck along with my MIM Tele and my Taylor Academy and just keep sounding better by playing better.

I played a Martin 00-18 last year that I really liked. Not as playable as any of these Taylors for me though.

3. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

It was some kinda Martin Anniversary edition. I was shopping for a guitar, and I asked the salesman if I could play “that one”. He took it down and I played it. This was my guitar until he mentioned the price: 4 grand!

I settled for a Martin D-35, and I have no regrets.

4. Skip Reid

Skip Reid TDPRI Member

My SJ 200 quilt

P1010175.JPG

Slip Kid likes this.
  5. dave42

dave42 TDPRI Member

When I was in Carmel California a few years ago there was a guitar store there that had 2 McAlister guitars available. The 2006 McAlister OM45 was the greatest sounding OM guitar I had ever played/heard. Beautiful Brazilian rosewood. Felt great in hand. It was offered at $9000. I thought about it, but decided the selling of a few of my guitars would be a hassle, so I left it.
    [​IMG]

6. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

My Breedlove Premier rosewood. I have played A fantastic J200 as well as a 2018 J45 that sounded sublime. There was also a 2016 D28. The 700/800 series Taylors that I have played never really wowed me the way the above guitars did, although I did like a 600 series, but unplugged it just wasnt as big a sound as the others. Getting back to the Breedlove. The sound is somewhere in between the Martin and the Gibsons. Big sounding but also very nuanced, just a fantastic instrument. 20180707_174343.jpg 20180709_173023.jpg 20180709_173010_HDR.jpg 20180709_173750_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  7. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

1949 Martin 000-18. Got it when I was 15 and still have it !

BB likes this.
  8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Carter's Vintage is a dangerous place and I really like it.

9. ShaunL

ShaunL TDPRI Member

I was lucky enough a while back to see Andy McKee do a solo performance at the Jazz Cafe in Camden. He played a Greenfield G4 Fanned-Fret guitar.

Top is made from tight grain master grade Adirondack spruce, sides and back from fine African Blackwood, a Cuban mahogany neck and ebony fretboard.

The "Fanned Frets" look weird but are apparently really natural to play. Michael Greenfield explains : “Imagine six one-string guitars each with a scale length optimized for the pitch and tone of that string. If a chord was formed by striking all of the one string guitars at once, how might that sound compared to one six-string guitar?”

Anyway, it's a steal at about £23,000 !!!

Neddless to say, I ain't played one :)

If you have a free hour, treat yourself to this youtube documentary of Greenfield and his aprentice crafting one, start to finish:

Greenfield_Imgs_Lookbook_G4_011.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    bromdenlong likes this.
  10. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Kind of a cool story to boot. I skipped church one recent Sunday and found myself browsing the guitars at McCabes Guitars here in so cal. I played a few ho hum acoustics because I was searching for something with good tone in my price range.

Well I ended up in their high end room up front and picked up a 7k Taylor of some sort. I think it may have been a dread or slighly larger. It was clearly an older guitar...but it had everything and then some.

Here's the cool part. I usually sing when I'm demoing an acoustic and I slightly noticed that several people kept popping their heads in to take a look see. One guy paused long enough to comment, "Sounds good young man, keep at it."

I looked up briefly to acknowledge him but he'd already took off. A bit later, after I put the guitar on the wall and walked out....the floor guys were sorta looking at me funny. I asked who the guy was that had complimented me...James Taylor. Wish I coulda talked with him. I've never been a real fan, but he's talented picker and a real good story teller. How's that for a Sunday afternoon?!

bromdenlong and P Thought like this.
  11. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I was recently in Manhattan and made a trip to Rudy Pensa's music shop specifically to buy his book about D'Angelico, D'Aquisto and John Monteleone.

The sales assistant was very friendly and I played a few nice guitars. A couple of John D'Angelicos and a couple of Gibsons.

Then I had a John Monteleone 000 flattop put in my hands and it was amazing. Secondhand with repaired cracks and a few marks but the sound was the best I have ever heard from any guitar over the past 50 years.

Go check it out.

12. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Some years ago my main gigging guitar was a 000 all-mahogany Martin. Luthier Bruce Petros was one of the few certified Martin techs in NE Wisconsin. I would take the 000 to him for adjustments occasionally at his shop in the boonies outside the City of Kaukauna and he would understandably encourage me to play his guitars while he worked on my Martin. Oh my gosh. I'll say as a keyboard player turned fingerpicker, those guitars of his struck me as piano-like in construction. Big, solid sound. Beautiful balance. Very playable. Just awesome instruments. As a meat & potatoes musician with >at the time< no GAS reflex and the main breadwinner in my family - I was happy with lower-end guitars and equipment so I never bought a Petros. If you've got money and the desire to own a really nice guitar, you could do worse than Petros IMHO.

http://petrosguitars.com/the-guitar/

13. Bonzo Moon

Bonzo Moon TDPRI Member

I have not owned or played any high end acoustics. I own 3 nice Alvarez Yairis, a MIJ Takamine, a ‘64 Kalamazu Epi and a Taylor 310c. Recently I acquired 2 MIJ Arias. One is a copy of a Martin D-28 and the other a copy of a Martin D-41. To my novice ear they sound better and play better than any of my other guitars. I have let 3 owners of Martin D-28s, play them unplugged and in live performance. Two old and one new. They all admitted they liked the sound and playability of mine just a little better than theirs.

14. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I played a Kel Kroydon once that was a pretty awesome guitar. I've played a lot of great acoustics and don't think I could pick a best but that one would be up there.

unfamous likes this.
  15. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Some of the old Alvarez models from the 70s had some magic. I have a D35 copy that holds it's own against the actual thing. But the best two acoustics I've played was one in Knoxville, Tennessee about 10 years ago at the GC there. That is a backwater store where a lot of Bluegrass pickers buy and sell. Their walls had some great used acoustics. I played a 50s-60s D45 there which was deep, rich, complex and rang like a bell on the high strings. Just as equal was a new D41 that was hanging on the wall at GC in Las Vegas a few years back. Those two are the best acoustics I've played in a full body range. I got to play a Roy Rogers OM and the Gene Autry model over the last couple of years. Those were very great guitars as well. I've never played a D28 I really liked. I'm more a D35/4x fan. For some midrange the OM body is also a favorite.

16. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

17. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

A 1948 Gibson L7C that I owned back in the early 70s. Had a chance to join a working band playing bass, but had no money to buy a bass. Traded it for a Gibson EB-0. And so it goes...

18. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Loar LH-300 archtop that I just recently bought. I never knew an acoustic could play so easily and sound so good.

19. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

oh please

20. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Lowden D-10 (mine), Tama spruce/mahogany dread from the seventies in the shop of my college town, a mate's Gibson hog something-or-other from the folk revival that featured something like a 1 7/8" nut.....if you could play it, it sounded great. Had double parallel inlays, klusons with plastic buttons, as I recall.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.