the most outstanding acoustic guitar you have ever played?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by slinger, May 24, 2018.

1. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

It was a 95 Gibson gospel. The guitar store I worked at in high school had a used one come in. It was the first Gibson I ever played and I fell in love with it. I think the owners son ended up with it.
    Also an unknown year and model Yamaha that a friend's dad owns. It plays and sounds wonderfully.
    I've also played a few oscar/Schmitz that were nice

2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A great ‘32 Martin OM-28 I played in a shop once.

And my koa 1927 Martin O-28 and 1950 Gibson J-45.

asatfan likes this.
  3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mike, if you ever need to sell...

Mike Simpson likes this.
  4. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

My 1961 Epiphone Texan. I've never heard such bass and overall note differentiation on any other acoustic.

Attached Files:

asatfan likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Actually a buddy of mine's brother had a Martin hog from the early 60s when I was in HS.
    Sounded just right. Todays are not the same.

6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

My local guitar shop stocks a very wide range of brands and, occasionally, I'll have a mooch around the acoustics. A number of Taylors and Martins appealed acoustically and aesthetically but the one I really liked was a Lowden (Koa wood, I think) but way, way over my price range at over £6k

I'm quite happy with my cheapo s/hand Sigma parlour guitar, though.

7. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Old Goodall grand concert or OM, it was used and heavily checkered...it look like a dog thus relatively inexpensive. But sang like an angel ringing a bell. It was clear, articulate, with unreal balance, note separation and responsive...just jumped irregardless of attack. Still kick myself for not getting it.

Stefanovich likes this.
  8. Swingbass

Swingbass TDPRI Member

I played it, loved it, bought it. It is a 1963 Gibson Hummingbird. I bought used in 94 or 95.

Attached Files:

titan uranus likes this.
  9. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Straight up Martin D-18. Right along side of it for different reasons is my '55 Gibson J50. Both look rather plain but they sound anything but that.

savofenno and asatfan like this.
  10. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A 1968 Martin D-28 - the last year they could import Brazilian Rosewood. I bought it in about 1979 for $400-425 - I don't remember the exact amount. It had a couple of dings that had been repaired and it had spent it's whole life in the bone dry desert and it's neck was starting to come up, so it needed to be reset. But it sounded absolutely amazing. Had the neck reset and it sounded amazing and PLAYED incredibly. I owned that guitar for 25-26 years and moved it between Arizona and the Olympic rainforsest several times over the first 5-6 of those years and then it stayed in the damp northwest until we moved to Pennsylvania, where it was exposed to all of the seasons. I had the neck re-set one more time. I eventually sold it because I wasn't playing it much at all so I needed something a bit easier to get around on for those occasions I did pick up a guitar. And it had accumulated a good deal of value by the time I sold in in about 2004-2005. I'm not sorry I don't still have it - I have a small 000-15M that suits me better for my low volume needs these days. But man, when it was set up right, that D28 felt and played and sounded better than any guitar I've ever played. Some of it's personal preference - I had friends with some incredibly nice Guild and Gibson acoustics but I was a Martin guy and that thing just hit my sweet spot...

-Ray

Henfield Tele, swany and asatfan like this.
  11. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

My Collings OM2H

Beautiful

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Takamine Legacy Series Acoustic/Electric.

Not as bright sounding as a Taylor and not as dark sounding as a Martin.

13. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

There are a couple that stand out for me:

A '70s Martin 000-45 Deluxe (that was what was on the tag) that I played in Toronto in the early '80s (Millwheel? Ring Music? Wasn't the 12th Fret). It was $4500, and I was debating selling my car and thumbing home with the guitar. I've no idea, now, what made the guitar so great then.

An early '80s Marc Beneteau spruce and rosewood standard. I was chatting with Marc, who lived in Ottawa at the time, and he idly asked if I knew anyone looking for a deal. It was a pretty new guitar that somebody had allowed to dry out, and the top seam had opened. He took the neck off, splinted the top, refinished it, reassembled it, and I sold my custom Strat (with a Shark Guitars neck!) to buy it. Fine sounding guitar. Time passed, it needed a neck reset, Marc did the work. I got the guitar back, and there wasn't much there any more. But it was my acoustic, so I played it.

Turns out that the guitar had to be broken in again after the reset. I played it a lot, and I play kinda hard, and the guitar responded to it. It got louder, richer, more complex sounding, just generally better. It's a keeper, especially since Linda Manzer (to unabashedly name-drop) told me that it sounded beautiful.

BB likes this.
  14. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

A Martin Authentic D-28. I thought mine was great sounding. WHY DID I PICK UP THAT GUITAR AND PLAY IT??? Idiot.

15. swany

swany Tele-Meister

The D-18 Martin that my neighbor and friend left for me while I was recovering at Craig Hospital, (in Colorado), I wasn't aware that he even left it until he was gone. The sound and even the smell of that guitar truly helped me get through a tough moment in my life. But even with that part of the story aside, it was the best sounding acoustic guitar I have ever heard, wasn't as loud as the HD-28 that I currently own, but it had that familiar comforting Martin dreadnought sound, my favorite.

asatfan and Henfield Tele like this.
  16. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I once got to play the Gallagher that Doc Watson used for several years. (Ol' Hoss...I think he called it)...It brought joy to me. A fine guitar.

P Thought likes this.
  17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Hmm…hard to say. It’s hard not to pick one of my own; I’ve got some really good quality, great playing guitars. (Not necessarily vintage or expensive, but good quality, good playing.) My best of my acoustics is my 1983 Japanese vintage Hohner G-940. I don’t think I could tell the difference between it and a Martin dread in a blindfold test.

But the most outstanding acoustic I’ve played that I don’t own? Maybe a Bourgeois. Some years ago now, in my travels I was in a guitar store that that specializes in vintage/high end guitars. They had a Collings, a couple of older Martins and a Bourgeois hanging on the wall that day.

The Collings sounded good, but I didn’t like the feel of it in my hands. (I’m a Texan, so I hope that was just a fluke; I want to like guitars made in Texas. ;))

The Martins they had were very good, as I expected. One that stands out in my now fading memory was a 1960s vintage Martin dread that was great.

But when I picked up the Bourgeois, it won the day. Not that I had the coin to walk out with it, but it played the best of any of the guitars I played that day, and sounded every bit as sweet.

Overall, though, I’d say Martins have been consistently the best guitars that I’ve gotten my hands on. Two stand out in memory. About 8 years ago now fellow TDPRI member PopsCC came to my house with his FMIC Deluxe Blackout Tele, his Egnater Tweaker and his 1966 Martin D-21. He played my Logan Custom teles, I played his Blackout. He played my Hohner, I played his Martin, a great guitar.

One more Martin story, and I’m done. In January of this year, I got to play a 1944 0-17 all mahogany Martin. Since this is already a long thread, and since I posted a thread about the experience elsewhere in Acoustic Heaven, I won’t rehash the details here. I’ll just include the link to thread in case anyone’s interested.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/good-deeds-are-not-always-punished-martin-content.794894/

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I played a 1930's Martin OM at Nazfest last year. It sounded like bells chiming in huge round tones. I played Any Major Dude/Steely Dan.....it was a real thrill.

asatfan and brookdalebill like this.
  19. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

1983 Lowden L34. It was love at first listen and I still own it.

BB likes this.
  20. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

a Cole Clark Angel i found at a pawn shop. wish i bought it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.