the most outstanding acoustic guitar you have ever played?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by slinger, May 24, 2018.

1. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

The few I remember being absolutely amazing were:

At old vintage guitar shop - Gibson J-50, Guild (unknown Model)

New at guitar shops - Gibson J-45, Gibson Hummingbird

I settled on a Historic J-185 Reissue in vintage Sunburst

oatsoda and BB like this.
  2. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

nice to see you back Mr. getbent...yes I also owned a HenWay..awesome guitar great for chicken picken

3. YeOldeTeleDuder

YeOldeTeleDuder Tele-Afflicted

In front is the 1977 Martin D28, and behind is the 1967 Martin D12-35, both have stood the test of time and been all over the world with me and have aged better than I have :D
    The Ovation behind them is about as good as one could expect an Ovation to be, but not anywhere near the same class as the Martins.

The Martins.jpg

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

a santa cruz....

5. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

While stationed in Osnabruk Germany in the early 60's I bought a Hoyer Jumbo guitar. At that time I was playing rhythm guitar in a little Shadows type band so I stopped taking my little 10 watt Broadway amp and just played acoustic and I could still be heard over the drums and bass. Later when I returned to the UK a friend kept on to me to sell him my Hoyer so eventually I did. I went back to the UK in 2007 and he still has this beautiful guitar, but wouldn't sell it back to me.. S:(:cry:

6. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

A Rainsong dread that a very nice salesman at an independent store in Phoenix handed me while we were looking for an acoustic for my son. Alan walked away with an Ovation (he was a beginner at the time) and unfortunately I didn't walk away with the Rainsong but I'll never forget how jaw-droppingly awesome it was--it was like thinking the note and there it was. If I ever get out of electric and back into acoustic that'll be the one you'll be hearing me with...….

Harry Styron likes this.
  7. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The best sounding, best playing acoustic that I ever laid hands on was a mid-1960s Martin 000-28. It played and sounded like a dream. A friend bought it for another friend. It was "Wow!" at first play.

My 1985 Martin OM-28LE sounds great, but that one, well, I hope she still has it...

8. sirnoel

sirnoel Tele-Meister

The Martin Authentic series is amazing. I have a 1933 OM-18 that plays like a piano. Every note has the same sound everywhere on the neck. Can't wait until it opens up a little more. Amazing.

vgallagher likes this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think if folks just tried a Henway, they'd be blown away at not just the value... but the tone! TONE! just amazing!

drf64 likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

about 2 lbs! ha ha!

telestratosonic and Jimmy Owen like this.
  11. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Guessing at the year, but I think a 1967 Martin D-28 that is (was) owned by Blackbird Studios. Incredible dreadnought. They also had a REALLY nice 68ish Gibson that I got to play. But that Martin, though...wow.

12. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Mossman, no model markings but lots of signatures, it needed a lot of work (literally held together by brads & screws) that I couldn't afford to do, and I needed a car so I sold it to a guy who had several others and "knew a guy".

The other was a old metal bodied National which had been pained blue w/ a brush, the whole thing, frets, board, neck body..every thing but the strings, sounded like every reso you hear in your head, pretty sure a steam loco chuffed by as you played. The kind of thing you always hope to find at a rummage sale, for $20, alias this one was in a shop for about 100x that.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

My 5-year old Martin OM-28 Vintage would be that!

I had a D-35, back in the seventies, that was pretty awesome, but the slightly smaller size of the OM-28 checks ALL the acoustic guitar boxes for me... except being impervious to changes in humidity and temperature. For that, I need a second option!

And for THAT, my Rainsong CH-OM1100NS both sounds awesome and I never give a thought, nor effort, with regard to how ambient conditions here in the Sonoran desert might impact the guitar. (My beautiful Martin does need to be humidity controlled.)

Rainsong has many years of development, learning how to dial-in great tone with carbon fiber. And, they're absolutely killing it for tone among CF guitars! Some players even prefer CF tone to wood. I wouldn't say that I prefer the tone of CF to wood, but I can confidently say that the tone quality of my Rainsong is exceptionally pleasing. It sounds great.

[​IMG]

So, those TWO guitars are the most outstanding acoustic guitars in my experience.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    P Thought and Otis Fine like this.
  14. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I owned a Merrell OM-18k for awhile, Jim Merrill is the guy. Best vintage Martin sounding guitar I've played. Huge neck, light as a feather.

I have a Martin 00-15m that's pretty wonderful for an all mahogany.

15. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

My buddy has a 59 D 28 that he bought used in the early 60s. It is the best-sounding guitar I’ve played quite a bit.

My J 50 sounds great to me. But my friend’s old Martin is stellar.

I’ve heard a pre-War D 28 close up. That was magic.

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Forget the Henway. How's your Aspen?

P Thought likes this.
  17. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

That might have been a Yairi..That was the price on Alvarez Yairi's lowest priced model in the 70s..

RodeoTex likes this.
  18. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Lowden O-32. 2005, sounds like a piano. Really dynamic. But large.

[​IMG]

orangeblossom and asatfan like this.
  19. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tossup between a new $3,800 Martin Vintage Series HD-28V and a new $200 Yamaha FG800.
    Guess which one I bought.
    9BB916A2-161B-48B5-A744-9ACD43E70726.jpeg

telestratosonic likes this.
  20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

That was a great time for Alvarez Yari guitars!!! Even Mr. Cash played them back then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.