the most outstanding acoustic guitar you have ever played?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by slinger, May 24, 2018.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A few have been in same top tier. My Santa Cruz 14 fret 000 here is now darker in color (looks) but still amazing tone and feel.

Imagine some growl more toward a dreadnought but not as boomy or bass heavy or put another way an OM that's got some extra warmth but more percussive or snappy than the OM/PW models.

It's a 2009 and Richard Hoover said it was not made from exotic woods but was made from a stash of old wood. Maybe that's true because it was always very responsive or didn't seem to open up the way other new guitars did.

It's outstanding to the extent that I want nuts in buying it, it initiated selling other guitars, and I'm GAS-free years later. It still completely satisfies whether that's tone or the way it plays.

In the context of other comments here it's not quite as brash as some Collings, nor is it nasal sounding as some Martins are.

[​IMG]

2. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

This one, Martin D18 Authentic. Unreal tone and super low action. Lucky to have this one. d18 authentic.JPG

3. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Greenfield G3

BB likes this.
  4. Flemtone

Flemtone Tele-Meister

My well-worn '67 D-18 is the guitar I say they'll bury me with. Too many dings and repairs to be considered collectible, but more Mojo than you can measure (if you happened to have a handy mojo-meter).

Though a buddy of mine has a Gurian from the '70's that's pretty much to die for. One of the most responsive guitars I've ever played.

Jimmy Owen and YeOldeTeleDuder like this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

#1 - A WWII-era Martin D-28, a friend in college had it on approval from a dealer, but ultimately decided he didn't want to spend the $2000 (in 1976/77) and sent it back. I wish I'd had the dosh to buy it out from under him.

#2 - A '60s Gibson J-50 w/adj bridge, David Rawlings and Gillian Welch had just bought it. It was the archetypal J-45/J-50 "cannon". Real comfy neck too.

6. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I own it, my 1931 Martin 00-45.....

00-45-29.jpg

RJ

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Easy. A HenWay.

picknfool and asatfan like this.
  8. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

A friend's '51 J-45. Easiest playing, best sounding acoustic I've ever played. Light as a feather, too!

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I played a bunch of expensive Gibsons and Martins one day at Mars Music then was blown away by a $600 Alvarez.
    I should have bought it, or at least paid attention to the model number.

Papa Joe and BB like this.
  10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Thanks, but it's all in the coffee.....and from savoring a gorgeous early Summer day after a brutal Winter.

11. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I played a $5,000.00+ Collings when my son was guitar shopping recently.

Outstanding.

12. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

1950s 000-18, and I got to play a really nice older Conde Hermanos for an entire week once.

Oh, I almost forgot, an old shortscale non-cutaway Gibson L5 archtop that had been restored, that was a sweet-sounding beauty.

Jimmy Owen and brookdalebill like this.
  13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

This one... 1949 J-45

1949 J-45.jpg

DaphneBlue, swany, vgallagher and 6 others like this.
  14. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

Having owned a couple of 1930s Martins, my hands-down fave is my own custom Clayton Pledger Slope-D. Super loud, focused single notes, huge jangly sound on rhythm.

It’s got a big 1.75” neck, 25.4” scale, African mahogany sides and back, Sitka top. Weighs nothing. Fingerpicks like a barroom piano, flatpicks like a J-45 on steroids.

It has had an OM style pick guard added after this pic.

IMG_0640.JPG

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My James Goodall RCJC.
    I lucked into it.
    There’s no way I could/would afford one, but I was able to get this one very reasonably.
    I also had magical (to me) 1963 wide headstock Epi Texan, natural, like Sir Paul’s.
    Both of those guitars just drew me in.
    I can’t stop playing them.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Jimmy Owen, BB and rjtwangs like this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, great guitars mentioned already. I've played two that stand out. I'd love to say some old beat to heck 1930s acoustic, but actually I pulled a brand spanky new 2013 Gibson 1928 Blues Tribute L-1 off a store wall for a spin. It is a dreadnought deep body, but somewhat parlor size 12 fretter. It could play by itself and made me sound way better than I am. The most beautiful finish I have ever seen too. Of course, too rich for my blood, but what an experience. I learned a big lesson from that event 4 years later, when entering a store, as usual I picked up a National resonator as a base comparison to the budget ones I was debating on buying. Well, I picked one up that was about 4x of my budget and the first strum was magic. Even my wife noticed immediately. Yup, still paying for it by selling off gear, but I have magic at the tips of my fingers now.:)

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Mid 90's larrivee maple jumbo at some guitar shop in Nashville.
    My '17 Gibson J-45 is a great guitar that I have really high hopes for.
    Overall winner is my '86 Gibson J-100 with sycamore, aka European maple, back and sides.
    It amazes me every time I pick it up and play it.

18. terrycolberg

terrycolberg TDPRI Member

OK, I'll bite. What's a HenWay?

Wildcard_35 and Harry Styron like this.
  19. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

My dad's D18 Martin, which I sold during my second divorce. :cry:

After that, believe it or not, a Takamine G series. I owned one for a while and traded it up for an Alvarez with onboard electronics. A friend has one with the preamp all built in, and his Takamine is the best acoustic I've ever had my hands on. Perfect weight, perfect action, sounds great unplugged and through amps or PA. For the money it can't be beat.

He also owns a Martin and a Taylor. I don't know how to explain it.

YeOldeTeleDuder and BB like this.
  20. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Picking one is too hard. My 1943 D-18 is a stellar guitar. I played a 1945 D-28 that was a cosmetic mess and also sounded amazing, and lastly a 1970s D-35. 1970s Martins (and D-35s) don't have a great reputation, but this one sounded amazing. I still regret not buying it. Every Collings (minus one) I have played has sounded great, and I also played a fantastic 1980s Gibson (don't remember the model - I am not a Gibson guy).

Acoustics are funny beasts. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, but it greatly improves the odds of having a great guitar.

BB likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.