The most important lesson you or your children can learn.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Reminds me of a bum that was holding a cardboard sign in front of a shopping center .
I pointed out that the stores all seem to be hiring. He complained that that won’t hire him. So I pointed out the obvious, “well you look like a circus clown what do expect”. The stream of profanity he answered with would get me banned. I really don’t think it helped his fund raising either.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I've never met a Tele player who used such long words or depth of reasoning. Not a yep or heck in the whole kit and caboodle. I had to read it three times to granny before she caught what you was sayin'. She says "yep" so I guess you're onto something.

maybe you prefer my mom's words - "at some point in my adult life i realized i was just another schmuck."

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Our family's version of this is "Being kind, responsible, and loved includes not inflicting your problems on innocent others."

("If she's really good-looking, putting up with her craziness might be worth it" is the very corrupt one that I try to keep to and fix within myself.)

Mileage varies.

"Professor, I don't, like, need to learn any actual skills or, like, whatF'inever if I'm, like, uh, just, uh, using my own, like voice, or, uh, because, I'm, like, special, or whatever" is the one awaiting me in, like, the upcoming smesste R ,

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
In all seriousness, the most important thing anyone can teach anyone they care about is HOW to learn. Schools almost universally fail in that one, but all important task.
Agreed. Critical thinking, based on a solid foundation of learned, relevant facts and sturdy logical skepticism, fueled by a principled curiosity, matters most. In any field, and almost any person. Hell, even being kind can be fatal if it's not guided by reason.

However, that's each individual's and family's responsibility more than any school's, yes? Even if I'm attending a crappy school, I'm responsible for my own potential, opportunities, community, civilization.

With the internet, libraries, etc., self-teaching opportunities are vast these days. In our excuse-addicted culture, we have to be very sure that we don't shift duties of self onto systems and others. No one has any excuse to be or remain ignorant, or even toxically bored. If I let my skills be starved and my self crater, that's on me. And that hurts not only me, but many others whose lives I would otherwise benefit. Or at least not hurt.

Last edited:

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
most people see themselves as the protagonist in the movie of their life.

their cognitive biases tell them they are "(slightly) above average" at anything and that things "will happen to someone else but won't happen to me."

the reality couldn't be further from the truth. you're no less subject to normal distribution than anyone else.

great point!

When I became aware of this reality, I started to realize that I always like sidekicks better than the heroes and I just started being the sidekick.

It is a wonderful world as a sidekick. You get to be loyal to a fault, kinda quirky, friends with everyone except your enemies and you get to support people who are super damn sure of what they are doing.

The only downside is that it increases your odds of getting killed early and in dramatic fashion.

wilson_smyth

Tele-Meister
Never be too proud to change your opinion.

I've been confident to the point of arrogant at times and life has suckerpunched me to show that it can all go away and what is god today can turn to a dumpster fire tomorrow.

Be happy now they not to look into that future too much and roll with that punches.

Be kind always, that jerk riding you at work could be going through a horror show at home, assume everyone who wrongs you is decent but having a bad day.