1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The more advanced CGI becomes, the faker it looks.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Jan 18, 2021.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems that the more advanced it becomes, the easier it is to tell that it's fake. Now, I must add that I believe this may also be that the more it develops, the people employing it are getting more ridiculous with it. I started noticing this around Return of the Jedi. That was around the time that the Star Wars movies started to depict so many spaceships on the screen at once that it was simply not believable anymore.

A friend of mine, a musician half my age, is a Star Wars fan (I am not, by the way) and he said that George Lucas wanted his older films to look like the newer ones, but the technology didn't exist back then. This may be true, but the limitations back then forced directors to rely more on practical effects and they could not overuse CGI like they do now, because the capabilities were not there.

Case in point: Watch either of the two Skywalker/Vader lightsaber battles (Ep. V and VI), and they look as though they could realistically happen like that. The duel at the end of the "Sith" film was absurd - there is literally nothing in those scenes that was realistic. It was like watching two other people play a video game.

So, my rambling point is that just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

This is some really strong coffee.

Blue Bill, Brendan, emisilly and 15 others like this.
  2. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

There's actually research on similar things--Google "uncanny valley" when you get a little time and the caffeine buzz calms down a bit. Fundamentally, there's a sliding scale between something that's clearly fake, and something that's clearly real--think of a happy face emoji that transforms to a picture of a real face as displaying movement along that spectrum. Moving from "very fake" to "absolutely real" should, in theory, make something seem more realistic, and more accepted as realistic, in a linear fashion. However, that's not quite what happens. Psychologically, there's a point at which your brain flips from "fake, but looks realistic" to "real, but looks fake". At that point, something that was more acceptable to you as "more fake" becomes uncomfortable because you start comparing it to the real thing, and it seems "less real". Robotics engineers constantly fight this when they try to create human analogs. Not my line of work but interesting to think about.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

SbS, SPUDCASTER, Brendan and 14 others like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Special effect should have ended right here. They're all you need.

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Yup totally agree without reading the o.p

I don’t even bother watching movies when I know they are 90 percent cgi

6. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I like animatronics better than CGI. Add bad CGI to a movie and you wind up with something that looks like ir was made for SYFY

3-Chord-Genius and Oldsmobum like this.
  7. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

This is 1000x better than the recent “Hobbit” movies. They got Guillermo Del Toro involved and he completely jumped the gun with CG. They went from characters that were costumed in “The lord of the rings” to using CG for literally everything. They literally used CG to make a little bird in one of the movies... it was SO fake. Seriously, multi-million dollar budget film and you can’t get a $20 f***ing real live bird?

It kind of ruins the movies. Just draw a cartoon if that’s what you want, because it’s basically what they get.

drmordo, 57fenderstrat and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Does anyone think a 3-foot muppet could fly and flip and jump around like that? Yoda looked far more believable when he was an actual friggin' puppet.

9. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

The best use of CGI is for all those little background jobs, like taking out something that shouldn't be there, or whatever. The Mandalorian looks fantastic, and they did that by using giant LED screens for the backgrounds combined with physical props in the foreground.

drmordo likes this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, they really botched it when they made Zuckerberg.

11. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

The CGI in The Jungle Book (2016) was excellent. That movie couldn't be made without those effects.
    Plus, CGI like that eliminates animal cruelty.

The scenes with Christopher Walken's orangutan were my favorites.

electrichead likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

See what it is, back in the day, movies employed a similar tactic to what books did, they built a picture in people minds without actually showing it to them. People of today, who have to have a credit card that they can just wave at the check out counter to make their escape back to their car are incapable of imagining anything.

DougM and 1955 like this.
  13. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I agree with you about that being the practical impact in movies and the newer Star Wars films are good examples. But I don't think the general observation is correct. If the technology is used in a realistic manner it can be incredibly real. I saw a commercial on television the other day that demonstrated this. It was a child talking about about the difficulties of growing up with food insecurity. Then at the end of the commercial you're told that this child isn't a child at all. It's a CG composite of "X number of thousands of children who live with food insecurity." It's just a kid in a shirt talking. It's not showing or crazy like the silly battles in the Star Wars prequels. And it would completely fool the overwhelming majority of people who see it. It was very convincing. It made me think about the debate over deepfakes and how that tech could be used in the future. Nobody cares if you fool them to raise money for food banks, but presumably others aren't going to be so charitable.

So in a practical sense I think you're right, but in a technical sense I think you're wrong. The tech can be incredibly realistic. In a strange way it makes me glad that most people with access to the tech are using it for crazy monster battles in an alternate, fictional universe. At least I'll know a fake when I see one.

14. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

I rarely watch anything made after 1975 or so. CGI isn't the only thing phony and pointless about current films.

15. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

yes !! I hate it !! Compare the Lord of the Rings movies to the newer Hobbit films. CGI is a mood killer

Edit : just noticed this was already mentioned above

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Oldsmobum likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Most educational, TD.
    I've wondered why they've included women in some of the Space Lab missions.....now I know. According to this clip, it's to cook their meals.
    (and maybe, uh, you know, that "other thing")

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Tge one thing wrong with CGI and robots is that they never get a human walking to look right, ever!

18. Toto'sDad

Well yeah, you get dirty out there tramping around in space too, your clothes gonna need washing!

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In case you haven't noticed, every movie has its own video game now.
    Including Star Wars.
    No, I am not impressed.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The best of the Best!
    Loved every frame of those old Movies.
    Although the story line and Script were lacking, the absence of a Budget was what really made those movies stand out.
    YEP!!!

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.