The Mooer GS200 arrived today

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ping-ping-clicka, Jul 13, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

I ordered one on line, it arrive and the rest of the day and evening was spent noodling with it. I hooked it up to my trust ancient Boss BR 12 and recorded a lot the process.
    and yes the box has a nice deluxe and Twin sound, and a very charming Dimebag Darrell patch, Don Randall would be proud. nice efx, flexible design for ordering efx , the pedal order can be changed, the cab simulator has a nice menu of choices with mic, and mic distance from the speaker.For my hobbyist pursuits this little box seems to cover my modest desires , with 52 amp simulations. This company does Faux amps really well.

It does Faux gear nicely, soon I will pursue new patches for noise guitar, a little later. it is odd having all the stomp boxes with all the cables gone, out of sight,

StrangerNY likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you mean GE 200?
    [​IMG]

Or did you get the GE 300?
    [​IMG]

StrangerNY likes this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm probably the only guy on TDPRI who's got one of each. Whichever one you got, you've got a nice piece of gear.

- D

Shuster and blowtorch like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd like to hear about that 300. I looked at your old post on that earlier today and didn't see any updates from you , with reviews or first impressions or anything

Shuster likes this.
  5. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

If it’s the GE200, make sure you update the firmware to 2.0. I thought they made some nice improvements with it. Also, there are some additional amps you can download from Mooer’s website.

ping-ping-clicka and StrangerNY like this.
  6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oh, glad you asked! :) I'm digging it.

The last few weeks since I got it have been a little hectic, what with gigs and other summer stuff happening, so I've been programming it on a 'need to use' basis, I guess you'd say. I programmed the first bank of 4 patches for the Danocaster to use with the party band I play with. Nothing too heavy, just about everything is using the Deluxe model with various stages of gain, using either the Fender single 12" or Twin 2x 12" cab sims. The most gain I'm using for them is along the lines of the hotter side of Petty's material, and it sounds really good. Very responsive, plenty of growl without losing any punch.

I also set up a patch using one of the three acoustic simulators, and I'm really surprised at how close I can get to a good acoustic-electric sound with it. I've got a late 90s Martin DR that I use live, and the acoustic sim gets right in the neighborhood of that guitar's sound. I hadn't planned on using the acoustic sims because I've always pretty much hated them, but the new ones in this board don't make me want to smash something.

The sheer amount of choices - amp models, effects and drives - is a little mid-boggling at first. I generally gravitate to one type of boost and end up using it in all situations, but I'm using a few with this board - either the Tube Drive, Flex Boost or Pure Boost (this one comes in handy for country stuff - gives you a clean boost with just a touch of gain, great for Tele solos). The 300 had got roughly three times of everything the 200 had, and all of the choices are pretty good. I just try to keep my eye on the ball and program for what I need, and try to avoid getting too far out in the weeds.

I haven't done much with the synth engine yet, mostly because I don't really have much call to use it. But the basics are you've got three 'oscillators,' each with its own tuning (up or down two octaves), filters, wave forms and arpeggiation. Sorta reminds me of an old Mini-Moog, but with the ability to play chords. Cool, but like I said, I don't really play anything that calls for it.

The amp models, on the whole, are very good. The Fender stuff in particular sounds pretty awesome, and the standby Marshall models aren't too far behind - in fact, the Marshall stuff sounds a little better than the models in the 200. I've been playing around with the AC-30 model to get a little gain without sounding too metal, and that one sounds pretty good overall, too. As with the 200 they've included a ton of high-gain models (even more this time, adding Suhr, Soldano, Peavey and PRS models to what they already had), but my rock band hasn't been playing a lot of late so I haven't gotten too deep into those other than a quick check of what they sound like. And they all sound good to my ears.

Overall, the tone of the 300 is a little bit brighter than the 200, and in some cases the models edge into a bit of what the old Line 6 guys used to call 'fizziness' - a slightly annoying digital buzz on top of the tone. But they've added a Global EQ in addition to the usual amp EQs, so if you have some fizz you can edit it away pretty easily.

And the biggest improvement over the 200 is the expansion of signal routing capabilities. Now you've got more of what Helix and Headrush and everybody else provides - two switches to scroll between banks, a switch for each slot in a given bank, and four switches to control the effects within each model. Where the 200 had one slot for programming an effect, the 300 has 'FX A' and 'FX B' - each able to call any of the effects. Delay, reverb, wah, and compression are outside of the FX slots, so you can assign them to a switch without having to give up an FX slot, which is pretty cool. And if you're feeling ambitious, you can actually use all 8 of the footswitches to program 'scenes,' each with its own amp model and FX. You can get way deep with this thing.

And while it's got four different really good chorus models, I'm passing on using them in favor of their 'Detune' effect, which acts like a Harmonizer in fine-tune mode. It's not as thick as any of their regular chorus settings, but it also doesn't tend to 'disappear' like a chorus does after you've listened to it for a while.

Overall, I'm really happy with the 300. Money well spent for the different playing situations I'm in and what I need from a modeling board. The 200 has been moved to the studio rig for now, and that one still sounds good, too.

- D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    SweetClyde99, ecoast and codamedia like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I wonder if Mooer bothered to not silk screen "Boss" on the circuit boards?

8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Hold on, they "bothered" to "not" silk screen? Hmm, if they "didn't bother" would that mean the silk screening would get done?

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

SUn StOke. I just CaMe in from Mowing... o_O

Shuster and ASATKat like this.
  10. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Katana gets 100 points for not naming it with some digital code name like GT1000, or GS300. Those kind of names get old. Even Nextone sounds like a digital name. Nice and relaxed Katana, it rolls off your tongue.

Since the GS300 is the new Mooer beast
    why not call it the Mooer Milker, or the Heffer floorboard?

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

I feel like selling my main board off and getting one of these. Such a hassle to get rid of all of it though. Probably just keep it all lol.

Shuster and StrangerNY like this.
  12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

There are so many advantages with a premium floorboard over a pedalboard. One is no more pedal cable problems and maintenance. Another is better tone without all the cables. Quick setup and breakdown is nice,,, and on and on,

Shuster, BorderRadio and StrangerNY like this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

14. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

That GE 300 is next on my list of stuff I want but don't need,,, lol:)

15. ping-ping-clicka

I got 200 model. home studio at my interest level, only requires the 200 feature set.

16. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

What type of cab would you run this into?
    How do the amp and speaker cab sims work for home use?

I assume you can use the pedals in front of an amp, but what about the rest?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.