The Moments On Which Life Hinges...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Aug 8, 2019.

1. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Some of this reminds me of the old saying
    'God laughs when man makes plans.'

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Well you can turn to the left, turn to the right. I don't care as long as I pivot tonight? It's a Wild West.

JL_LI, Straydogger and tery like this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm still trying to backtrack to the fork in the road from the horrible "2 sec" decision 17 yrs ago so that I may find out what the other has in store. The body is fighting me though.

Something I just realized having just returned from visiting the midwest last week was the decision to flee to CA 31yrs ago on a meager $300 tax return check. Seeing my hometown & what has become of the inhabitants proved to be the best 2 sec decision of my lifetime, & it was literally made in 2 sec.

teletimetx, Straydogger and Shuster like this.
  4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Finding myself in a room with a bunch of people who were getting ready to smoke a joint, my sister's included, and not wanting to be the only "uncool" person there, I joined in. Because of my addictive personality this was the beginning of a 7 year psychological dependency on pot. I smoked everyday, all day right up until it was time to go to sleep. If I ran out my entire focus was to score more pot. Nothing else mattered. The back of my phone book (remember those?) where you listed frequently called numbers were all people who could help me score. Dealers, of fellow pot heads. My mother looked at it once and was impressed with all the "friends" I had listed there.:rolleyes:

Straydogger, lowatter and Shuster like this.
  5. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

If I knew the meaning of life, would I post it on a guitar forum? o_O

PlainAllman and Straydogger like this.
  6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I came around a hair pin turn in the mountains of Tennessee. There was a Tractor Trailer cutting the curve.(I went back the next day, they all did, and had to, it was too sharp). I was literally run over by the rear wheels. As it happened, I ducked below the dash and the wheels hit the engine (glad they were still in the iron age) and bounced over the cab mostly, scraping/denting the top and cracking the windscreen. I was belted and knocked unconscious by the impact due to energy transfer thru the steering column.

At the time any trace of the "internal dialog" stopped and my mind became clear w-out any trace of fear. I had a profound realization everything was going to be fine and it was. I saw life and death as one, just different aspects of the same thing. I have never feared death since then, or anything else for that matter.
    If I could figure out how to repeat a similar but safe analogue situation, I'd be making millions selling the "FaceDeathExperience" in California.

7. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I got invited to a New Years eve party at a apartment complex that I worked as the maintenance supervisor in Tucson in 2000 by the most beautiful woman I ever saw in my life. I was 40 and she was 29. She was recently married but in a troubled marriage to guy that was one of the weirdest guys I've ever met. To this day I never understood why they hooked up. Anyways, she really seemed to be attracted to me and we ended up getting away from the party and talking/loving to the wee hours of the morning. She promptly annulled the marriage and I asked her to marry me the next month and to my surprise she said yes. We got married that June. This was the 2nd most pivotal day of my life.
    The 1st most pivotal was that night at the New Year's party when I couldn't help myself and looked her in the eyes and planted my 1st kiss on her. I've never tasted anything sweeter in my life and my life has been so blessed ever since. We've been married for over 18 years now and carved an incredible life together. I found my life mate that night and it changed my life forever. I only wish that this kind of thing can happen to everyone. I was lost and lonely at the time we met and she restored my faith in hope and humanity.
    Yes, I am a romantic kind of guy. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    KyAnne, mad dog, RoyBGood and 4 others like this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wonderful Red.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It seems like I've been here before;
    I can't remember when;
    But I have this funny feeling;
    That we'll all be together again.
    No straight lines make up my life;
    And all my roads have bends;
    There's no clear-cut beginnings;
    And so far no dead-ends.

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Life hinges on every moment ... So it's hard to pick just one ...

Fuelish, teletimetx and Straydogger like this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

It means you should be a writer...

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In January of 1973 I decided to go to one of the local apartment complex clubs that were popular in Houston. I wasn't going to go out but on a whim decided to go. My future wife had decided to go to her hometown of Wharton, Texas to see a girlfriend and the two of them decided to come back to Houston and go to the same club. She came into the club at the same time as I did and before she even sat down I asked her if she wanted to dance. She said yes; we had a great evening and started dating the next week. In June of 73 we took off to Carlsbad New Mexico and got married.

lowatter, teletimetx and Straydogger like this.
  13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Rt. 129? I'm from the area.

Bob

Fuelish and Teleterr like this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Physics, philosophy, metaphysics, I don’t know. Life consists of moments strung together until it ends. Are there pivotal moments? There’s no way to know which ones truly are because there’s no going back in time to see how a different choice may have played out. A probabilistic universe won’t allow it. So every choice fixes a new path through time. Was the moment pivotal when I proposed to my wife or was the pivotal moment the one when I chose to work where I met her? Or was the pivotal moment when I chose biology supported by the physical sciences over music. Was it pivotal when I decided to add engineering to the mix or was the pivotal moment when I first met the scientist who urged me in that direction. I think you could say I’ve never been a believer in pivotal moments. I’m convinced that each of life’s choices fixes a new path but we’ll never know which choice was truly pivotal until we find out how the story ends.

rangercaster and bender66 like this.
  15. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They already figured it out: it's called skydiving.
    The fear of falling is the only fear we are born with (so I've been told). All others are learnt.

Teleterr likes this.
  16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Sam's Gap was the place. Rt 129 rings a bell, but it was in the 70s. Fortunately I had the one cool cop around that gave me a ride to the station.He told me there was an upcoming Bob Seger concert. Everyone at the station was hostle, I had hair half way to my waist then.

17. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

I like this quote from the reading assignment better:

“A deus ex machina will never appear in real life so you best make other arrangements.”
    ― Marisha Pessl, Special Topics in Calamity Physics

mad dog and JL_LI like this.
  18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

The day I joined the TDPRI.
    yEP!!!

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

The birth of ny sons. I delivered the second one as the Doctor didn't get there in time.
    Ratfink charged me $600 for the delivery!:)

20. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.