The Moments On Which Life Hinges...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Aug 8, 2019.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

A mate and I were sitting in a small flat near the beach on a wet, blown out day, reading surf mags....mid 70's

I turn a page see a nice shot of a surf break in a rustic location with big capital letters FRANCE....o_O

Hey look, there's waves in France I say and toss the mag over to him....

Lets go over and surf them, he says.....

There was that moment where I thought.. yeah, there's nothing really stopping us from going to France to surf.. just some cash and a passport..... mere details...

OK lets go.....

the following year we were in Europe.. going surfing for the rest of that year....:cool:

Worked a winter in London, flew to Athens, then I backpacked with a few guys from Greece to Bali across southern Asia....to get home....2 1/2 years after I left with a one way ticket to London and @ 3 grand in my pocket...

yeah, that flippant decision on a rainy surfless day turned me into a world traveler at 21.... no regrets about that....:)

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A pivotal moment was in the late 90s when I was the technical manager for the e-commerce sites of Macmillan USA, publishers. A new colleague flew in from NYC to supervise a development team for a week, every three weeks. Coming from a life in NYC, she found Indianapolis, IN to be like another planet. I helped her acclimate, or at least accept, and we bonded immediately as real friends.

We kept in touch as platonic friends over the years through 3 of her partners who wouldn't commit and my wife who died.

We're sitting on our upper patio overlooking our property and working on our laptops, having a glass of wine. A Great Blue Heron just gave it's usual prehistoric squawk and took off from the creek. We're married and the best friends we could ever hope to have.

3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

My pivotal moments are swinging on a swivel with several bad bearings and attached to a perpetual motion machine.

It's been a heck of a party.

teletimetx likes this.
  4. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

Isn’t this really just the fate vs chaos theory?

5. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hmmmm. The dark story is too depressing, sounds like bad fiction...but it ain't. Suffice to say, it was indeed a turning point for me and my family. Nobody was the same after that.

The light story is silly...but equally as life changing.

I'm still standin'!

Fiesta Red and Straydogger like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The one that comes to mind might not apply here, but I'll share anyway.

I was a new first time home owner when I heard screams down the street in a typical postwar subdivision. I looked out to see a house on fire about eight houses down. I ran down there and saw everyone standing around waiting for the fire trucks when I noticed the house next door shake shingles were catching on fire. I made sure everyone was accounted for in the two houses, but everyone was just still just watching. At that moment, not knowing that this was part of my character, I decided to climb the outside chimney of the second house and with my bare hands started ripping shingles that were on fire and threw them down on a lawn. The fire department arrived and started attacking the first house which was really burning at this point. Finally as more fire crews showed up, a ladder went up onto the house that I was on having pulled perhaps fifty shingles now using my tee shirt to protect my hands. They brought up a hose and started watering down the roof while the other house took on significant damage. I got down and the owners were in tears thanking me.

It was this defining moment that determined my future volunteerism on many fronts and with much training in professional groups. I have responded to more emergencies than I can count ever since, without hesitation.

7. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Bravo.

Great story.

Cheers,
    Geoff

El Tele Lobo, Greggorios and Obsessed like this.
  8. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You're a total Bada$$ OB, I would have mowed your grass for the next 2 years!!

9. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

1970:
    Went to college right out of high school with a guitar and no particular direction; met a guy the first week who had an incredible selection of blues records, which he gleefully shared with me. We listened to all the old great ones, all the new great ones (I site Taj Mahal), you name it, he had it.
    He was a good drummer, so we rounded up a few jam sessions, formed a band, etc., for a year or so, during which time I met several other musicians who blew me away. I'm still in touch with most of them, but the upshot is: if not for that meeting, I am certain that I would have lived a much more ordinary life. When he left music for a professional career, he encouraged me to stay with it, which I have, not to any great success, I admit, but it has been eventful and I wouldn't trade it for anything else I can think of.
    Thank you, Dale. R.I.P. and may God bless. (Edited for completion)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  10. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Right off the bat I thought of the night my wife got rear ended by a drunk driver. My son was a Cub Scout at the time and his den had a camp out that was breaking down that night. My wife and I both got off work about the same time and we just decided we would both go to the camp after work and whomever got there first would load his gear and himself.

As luck would have it, we both got there at the same time. We loaded up his gear in my trunk and my wife asked him if he wanted to ride her or dad. He chose dad. It was a fortuitous decision. He got in the car with me and wife followed in our old Mercedes 300 TE wagon. That car had just shy of 300,000 miles on it. A milestone it would fail to achieve.

We lived only about 15 minutes from the camp so it was an uneventful ride at night in the country. Then when my son and I got home, we started to wonder what happened to mom. Wonder turned to worry after about a half hour. I was just about to go backtrack to see if maybe she broke down when there was a knock on the door. It was a state trooper. He said my wife was in a serious accident. Her car was rear ended at a stop sign. She went to the hospital in an ambulance, but she was conscious and expected to be okay. As we later found out, the drunk slammed into the back of her while she stopped at a stop sign at about 40 mph without even tapping the brakes.

Sorry I posted before I was done. Anyway, the next day we went to the salvage yard where the wagon was taken. The rear was crumpled all the way to the B pillar like an accordion. My son always liked to sit in the rear facing third seat. He always sat back there. If he had chosen to go with mom, his life would have ended that night.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks, but I was just in a spot in time and place with circumstances that just called on me to respond. I may have never learned this about myself. It is nice too know that I have "it" whatever it is.

12. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Well, you know the famous quote :)

"Luck favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur

Greggorios, Shuster and getbent like this.
  13. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I was drunk on a beach and handed her 5 Milwaukee’s Best beer tabs and said “Marry me?”

I was drunk so it shouldn’t have counted right ?

She is flying back out to see me tomorrow :)

She seems to be stopping in every few weeks to spend the weekend and I’m glad she does !

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When you reach an advanced age, and look back, we come to realize there hasn't been one pivotal moment in our lives but many. I was there in the room when my oldest son was born, I held my mother in my arms as she took her last breath. I saw a stranger die when I was eight years old, there have been many pivotal moments in my life. Once I was sitting at a fork in the road, undecided on which way to go, I chose the wrong fork to take. It would be years before I recovered from the consequences of that act, if I have yet. Those moments we feel have changed our lives, but have they? Perhaps we were meant to choose as we did.

15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

My Dad was planned to be on one of the first landing craft to hit the beaches of Japan. We dropped a couple big bombs and Japan surrendered. My Dad was on that landing craft but no one was shooting. Probably defines why I am here.

16. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I've lengthened that to 4, especially in the rain!

Piggy Stu, El Tele Lobo and Toast like this.
  17. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah.
    Doing a masters. Had played in the band in related degree for charity shows before that. No guitarist the year after, they asked if I would do it. Sure, was just writing my thesis so timing was flexible.

Gal in the show asked me out. We have a teenager. That never would have happened, but. If I knew then what I know now?

Cheers,
    Geoff

Straydogger, El Tele Lobo and Shuster like this.
  18. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Yeah, but if I said 4 seconds it would probably go in one ear and out the other :).

KyAnne likes this.
  19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Ah, the "postern of fate..." Or providence.

At the beginning of my senior year in college I was dropped by a girl. While standing in the lobby of the main dorm I thought to myself, "You've been taking this dating thing too seriously. You need to find someone with whom you have no future whatsoever and take her out once, just to lighten up." I looked around the huge lobby and my eyes fell on a pretty coed whom I'd met before (in the fire department) who was clearly "in" with the social bunch. I was clearly not. No future there. I walked over and said, "I know a little restaurant where they make the most sinfully delicious chocolate fudge cake. Would you like to go down there, get dessert, and study?" I was from Tennessee and studying philosophy and theology. As a socialite from New Jersey and science major, she wasn’t particularly interested in a Southern boy like me.

She looked up at me rather doubtfully for a second, twirling her options, and said, "OK." As we came around the corner of the student parking lot into sight of my mashed-up Volkswagen Beetle, for the first time it occurred to me that I was asking her drive down a steep mountain in what looked like a rolling paper wad. Being from a proper background, she had wondered who on earth drove the most beat-up car at the school. Now she found out. She admirably hid her recoiling feelings, gulped, and and got in.

Now, it must be understood that this chocolate fudge cake was the best I have had before or since. That evening, she and I talked more freely than I ever had with any girl. I found her straightforwardness totally refreshing. We talked at length of our mutual love for Christmas and old houses. We got no studying done. As we walked back to the dorm I invited her out again and she told me flat out we couldn't date because she was “everything but engaged.”

I took that as a challenge. I arranged to cross her path as often as possible. I offered to take her out "to study" (fudge cake) again. Though I made only a tiny salary through work-study, I made excuses to take her for dinner or dessert. Because the meals at the school were deplorable, a decent meal or dessert was a strong incentive. I could get her away from the stress of school. She became addicted to the fudge cake. I showed her the local hiking trails and historical attractions. Those hikes have turned out to be her strongest memories of our dating days. I soon came to the conclusion that she was a particularly special lady and worth every effort I could invest so I decided to win her over with respect. Soon we were eating our meals together and getting together every evening. We became best friends. I tried to find excuses to fill all of her spare time, figuring the easiest way to be her only dance partner was to put my name in every space on her dance card, so to speak. We shared my laundry money. Eventually she even relented and let me take her on a date.

On Fall break she filled in her mother on her life. Her mom said that to be fair she had to make a decision between her almost-fiance' and me. She chose me, and we began dating for real. I asked her to marry me the next year. She agreed, with the condition that I fix the car. That was forty-one years ago and we've been married thirty-nine years. I still maintain that she fell in love with the fudge cake.

Bob

Toast, KyAnne, mad dog and 9 others like this.
  20. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    My "hinge moment" was diluted over an 8 day vaca, but....it was when I met my wife (it's her BDay today, happy bday, Renee!!!) My brother and I used to go whitewater rafting on occasion decades ago, and we determined that "one of these days" we'll go raft the Grand Canyon. My wife had been separated from her first husband for 1 1/2 years and was taking an assertiveness training class....when her divorce went through and her class completed, she was supposed to go do something by yourself you would never have thought of doing alone. Lo and behold, she (with no rafting experience) booked on the same trip we booked, the lower half of the Canyon starting at Bright Angel Trail. We met her on the trail, and she was wearing a freaking huge knee brace on one leg (prophylactically, as the knee was fully repaired, she was just being cautious)….. we walked along BSing about this and that, she was from suburban Detroit, me from suburban Phila, she seemed to take whatever true nonsense I spewed in stride (me "Hey look, there's a fossil!!!" her "You're so full of ****..." I still hear the FOS a lot, as I'll say anything to anyone just to get a rise or see if they're paying attention. But anyway, we hit it off, hanging out together over the 8 days/7 nights, a lot of folks thought we were a couple.....LOL....when I met her, she thought my brother and I were a couple... :) When the week came to an end, we had fallen in "like," and I was kinda bummed that she lived like 600 miles away...I guess the moment was when she said "Come visit me" and it was like a lightbulb going off in my head....yeah, I could do that....could get a roundtrip flight from Phlly to Detroit for like $100, so, I spent several months visiting every or every other weekend, ended up moving out there, and the rest is history. Here we are now, 30 years since that week, happily married for 28 years, 2 great responsible kids grown and flown the coop, life with her has been the best. Funny sidenote, when she got back home, she told her friends "I think I met the man of my dreams, but he's nothing like I dreamed of"......LOL …… sorry for all the words. Here we were, at the raft takeout on May 18 1989, she rockin' the kind of Brian May 'do, and me just being my usual mess.... 52929815_2630019260347746_853846078334697472_n.jpg

Toast, KyAnne, mad dog and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.