The Moments On Which Life Hinges...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

This quote got me thinking " I bet a lot of people at the TDPRI have some interesting stories about pivotal moments in their lives "....

“It's kind of funny...the moments on which life hinges. I think growing up you always imagine your life--your success--depends on your family and how much money they have, where you go to college, what sort of job you can pin down, starting salary...But it doesn't, you know. You wouldn't believe this, but life hinges on a couple of seconds you never see coming. And what you decide in those few seconds determines everything from then on... And you have no idea what you'll do until you're there...”

― Marisha Pessl, Special Topics in Calamity Physics

.....so does anyone have anything that they would like to share with the rest of the class?

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Still waitin

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

:D:lol:

Greggorios and Shuster like this.
  4. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

That's one of the main reasons I follow the two second rule. Your life in a car depends on it.

Greggorios and KyAnne like this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Perspective over a long period changes - sometimes and sometimes not. When I think of what 2 seconds might have meant to my father, as a 17-year old, somewhere in the South Pacific, during WWII, I tend to think his version would be different from mine.

going down in flames.jpg

And yet he survived (he wasn't in that plane!) and as some sort of consequence, I'm here as well.

Paths cross, sometimes randomly, and a few "what ifs" do happen. Here's one of mine, more or less a repeat on this forum, somewhere else. Names and timing changed, but once in awhile, I do wonder if her memory of one moment is the same as mine. We accidentally kissed. Electricity.

and then she left.jpg

She got on her old clunker bike and just pedaled away, heading west on the cobbled sidewalks of Mechanic Street, not a breeze to be had then, neither Gulf nor bay, like four years meant nothing; she never even bothered to wave goodbye.

That was 18 years ago, and I can still smell the Gulf along the Strand and hear the wind knocking the backstays against the mizzen mast of the Elissa. But I can't remember why I thought to take that picture.

But I do remember the look on her face, our favorite float in the Mardi Gras parade, rekindled in Galveston: a tricked out purple El Camino, with a lone dude lounging on a lawn chair in back, tiger-striped parachute pants, holding a hand-painted sign that said “Panther of Love”.

It's not even Friday. What does it all mean? You're on your own.

Antonio-Medina_Ashamed_00001647_jpg_optimal.jpg

6. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was Great!! Sounds like you have a song in there somewhere:)

And after that,,,,, I got nuttino_O;)

Straydogger and Greggorios like this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

When a particular young woman said, “I love you,” and I believed it.

When that same (slightly older) woman said, “We’re having a baby...” and I rejoiced.

When we finally figured out why that same woman was getting sicker and skinnier, down to less than 80 pounds...and I thanked God we had a way to get her healthy.

When that same woman told me yesterday, “I love you,”...and I still believe it.

8. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I did have a couple of seconds a few weeks ago, and lifted my legs just in time to avoid getting them crushed. Really never thought to do that, just a reflex action, when you see a car about to make your truck a drive thru!

9. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I have failed. My life's hinges have been unfailingly defined by my family's money, where I went to college and the job I was able to get; not by any recognizably pivotal moments. My road to Damascus has been a roundabout with no exits.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And in that instant ... I realized that "life hinges" rhymes with "oranges" :)

telleutelleme, Deeve, stevemc and 5 others like this.
  11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I have a friend who tells a story about a pivotal night that we both experienced in about 1996. I won't go into detail here, because forum rules prohibit most of the subject matter. But I chose to leave a party and just hang out with a couple of friends by the lake. This one particular friend chose to stay at the party. I tried to get him to come with us, but he declined because of a girl.

What I didn't know until about 15 years later... that was one off these "life hinges" for him. It doesn't seem like it was for me... but he says that staying at that party changed his life for the worse, and he wishes that he would have come with us.

Of course, you can't double think decisions like that... because at the present, he's happily married (not to the girl at the party) with two children whom he adores. But any single decision in life, including a decision on his part to leave that party... would have put him on a different trajectory which would have led to different consequences... including that likelihood that he would not have met his wife or fathered his children.

El Tele Lobo and Toadtele like this.
  12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

2 events,
    I was about 2 pass a minivan because you can’t see duck all behind them but he was going at a reasonable speed so I decided not to speed and stayed behind, within a 1/4 mile a drunk F150 swerved and collided head on with the van, killing the driver.
    I was pitching at softball, someone hit a liner right at my head, somehow my mitted hand was up just in time to prevent decapitation . You have to have pithed to realize how fast the ball comes at you, got hit on the knee once.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sure there are many... but I'll share the first one that popped into my mind. I was kind of floundering after college, I'd started and quit two different careers and was working 3 jobs (and one in a band) and helping take care of my grandma, but broke and bummed, my friends were either still in college or off to grad school or working their 'career' jobs in exotic places... It was terrible. One of my jobs included being a handyman for a bunch of Stuart Andersen's Black Angus Restaurants... At one of the restaurants, I'd remodeled the bar area for them and done some cabinet work etc... It came out really nice and they got a nice fix on the cheap. At another of my jobs working as a night and sunday manager at a department store, I'd convinced the store manager and regional manager that I could reorder and rework the back stock and improve our effficiency. They allowed it and I got to work.

Well, it just so happened that a construction company had won the bid to remodel the entire chain or department stores (mervyn's) and to celebrate and plan how they were going to do the project, they went to lunch at... yep. The Black Angus where they went a couple times a month. The owner and VP noticed the remodel and asked the bartender 'hey who did the nice work?' and he told that I had and they had heard my name at the store where I'd remodeled the shipping and receiving... they got my phone number and when I got home from one of my jobs my grandma gave me the message... I called them and then met them for a 5:30 am interview (my request as I was busy working).. They hired me and I traveled throughout the west and northwest for the next 18 months remodeling stores... at the end of the job, they asked if I'd sign up for 5 years doing Sears stores, I declined... I'd saved 60K and paid off my grandma's house, and with the rest, I headed to graduate school. It completely changed the arc of my life.

About 3 weeks ago, a guy I hired in 1994 in Colorado called me and said that he was leaving work for the last time and that he was retiring early and that he'd called his wife and then me. He just thanked me for 'changing his life for the better and creating a career for him and showing him how to succeed.' It was one of the nicest things that has ever happened to me...

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I pivoted away from all the pivotal moments ...:(

stevemc, Shuster and Skydog1010 like this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

There is no spoon..

String Tree and Toast like this.
  16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In life one often imagines that if only we had turned left instead of right , or if only we had married our High School sweetheart , or if only we had chosen a different career that we would have been happier and that our lives would have been so much better . . . when in fact it might have been much , much worse .

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Roll with it, enjoy it.

Thinking about it won't really change a thing. You can’t plan for it.

There are dark holes to fall into if you think you can.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

This is why, when in some circumstances I seriously wonder "what if?" over some questionable decision I made years ago, I have to remind myself the old, "Be careful what you wish for". Yes, the worst decision I ever made was marrying (in high school) a beautiful girl (who was pregnant) who turned out to be an unbelievable nightmare. I should never have done that, right? Except, if I hadn't, I probably would never have experienced my grandson, who is the greatest joy I've ever known.

19. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I got dumped by a live-in girlfriend when we lived in the midwest. I decided that the only way to recover was to move to NYC. I crashed on a cousin's couch for a week and got out the yellow pages to find a job. Within 10 days, or so, I had a job and a place to live. A short time after that I met another girl and we fell in love. That lasted a couple more years.

getbent likes this.
  20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

It was the day my doctor called to explain to me about the kind of leukemia I had. Nothing has been the same since that day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.