The mini amp experience.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by karnac, Nov 19, 2013.

1. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

Do you have one or maybe more than one mini modeling amps? The Amps I am referring to are Mustang Mini, Peavey Nano, Vox mini 3, Marshall MG2CFX, Roland micro cube, and the micro Spider. Let's hear your personal experience playing these little SS modeling amps.

2. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

3. italo

italo Tele-Meister

My microcube keeps me smiling. very usable tones for a wide range of styles.

4. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

I guess I am looking for some actual experience people using the mustang mini, nano, and Marshall specifically. Also if someone actual compared these models. That thread didn't really didn't answer my questions. Yes, the Yamaha is a neat small piece of equipment but it priced itself out of the $120 range. $299, I would get a Blackstar tube amp in my opinion.

5. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

The microcube sounds like a great little amp. I am seeing if someone grabbed their cube and maybe compared it to there buddy's mustang mini for example. The reviews on certain brands online are lacking, like the peavey nano and Marshall mg2cfx. Sure ya get the vendors little review on YouTube but of course they sound good.

6. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I have the original Mini -3 I use it for small informal/busking gigs (has a mic input) and as a keyboard amp for working things out/composing etc. (line input). IMHO the Clean and Twin models sound fine, the other less so, the Bassman model is so odd as to be useless. I have a LTD, and the model sounds nothing like a Bassman, with a horrific cocked wah honk. The others sound OK but are obviously the product of a small SS amp.

7. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

Thank you, that is a valuable piece of operating experience. I would probably mainly use the clean and twin models also

8. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I agree the Bassman is my least favorite setting, the clean stays clean all the way up, the Twin is great too. I've been using the 80's Marshall setting a lot, crank the amp and it roars, tons of fun.

9. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I have a Mini 3, it was great for the first year, very versatile. Then the models slowly began dying. DEoxit in the selector didn't help. Checked online and found out this happens a lot, and the circuit board is too small to work on. Everything else still works, though.

A couple months back, I found a J-Station on c'list for $35.00. Now things are mostly fixed, although the J-Station isn't portable.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

You can go to MF, GC, AMS and any other retailer and read the reviews on any of those amps. Each person will have his or her own favorites just as I prefer Rolands over other models and very few would own more than one mini amp or have had an opportunity to play several.

Your best bet is to read as many reviews on those you have an interest in and use those and any threads you find here dealing with them as a source for info. In that product line if you're bypassing the Yamaha then the Roland and Fender are probably your safest bets.

I prefer Rolands COSM models and their dependability while other seem to prefer the Fenders. IMHO those are the acknowledged market leaders and I would avoid anything Line 6 produces like the plague.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got the Line 6 Micro Spider III, that I have played a ton with, over the last 6 or so years. I have taken it to a few jams with friends and relatives and it sounds better than my cousin's Fender Mustang when we jam together. It has AC and a mic input with separate control for a little group singing stuff. Great fun. The best part is the "acoustic" setting that can make electric guitars sound very acoustic. You can also save custom settings of yours so that you just hit a button for it. It takes most pedals well too. The distortion is kinda worthless though and I'd say the sound/tone is very generic in every way, so no way are you nailing some particular amp tone. I love jamming on the deck with it, but I think you had better compare it with others first. A buddy of mine loves his Roland Cube, but we have not compared them. It is my first and last modeling amp to be sure. FWIW.

12. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

I see a lot of reviews on the Roland, Vox, Mustang, and even the Line 6. These are the most popular and reviews from online retailers to forums are great source of information. But I haven't really found much on the Peavey or the Marshall. A few YouTube videos And that's about it. Seems like a lot of people dislike the MG series and Peavey seems for metal heads. Right now I would get the Fender because of the warranty and software following, and it's available at my local guitar shop. I guess it tells us something when all members on forum don't own a Marshall or peavey amp of this type.

13. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Put me down for a Vox Mini 3 v2. Some slight upgrades from the older one. Easy to use. Runs forever on batteries. Sounds great for a 5" speaker. I don't have an IPad or Pod, so the Roland Micro would have been wasted on me.

14. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

I have two of the little fella's as of today.

Roland MicroCube that I've owned for a year or so, and today my brand new Vox Mini5 Rhythm arrived.

The Roland is a sweet amp. Loud for its tiny size, and with great tone.

The Vox Mini 5 is a tad bigger all around, but the bigger speaker sounds great. The killer feature for me was the ability to run my guitar and blues harp mic into the same amp at the same time. Also the mic channel uses the guitar channel effects, but with independent level controls for volume (trim) and the effects level.

So far the Vox is knocking the Roland out of the water for my needs.

15. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Here's a shot of the two of them together

image-2921204078.jpg

image-24518076.jpg

16. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

This is a great comparison and information. What's the difference between the mini3 and mini, probably just speaker and output.

17. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Mini3 is smaller (dimensions) than the mini5. The new Mini5 adds 99 built-in rhythms for practice or self-accompaniment when used for busking.

I think that for busking or low volume band practice the larger and louder Mini5 would be way more useful than the tiny Mini3.

On the other hand, for home practice, especially if your other half won't let you keep your gear out, the mini3 would be perfect, unless you really felt the need for the built in beats.

18. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

I was just able to hear the Marshall MG2cFX from the Marshall demo on you tube and liked the clean sound. It doesn't model but does have some descend effects I thought. I haven't been able to try one out in person, guitar store didn't have any.

The mini5 sounds pretty sweet.

19. Roseweave

Roseweave TDPRI Member

Hi there - I'm looking to get a small amp for playing around and eventually busking. I have a Vox DA5 which to be honest I don't like a tall. There's a couple of good settings on it, but even after a speaker swap I can't really say I'm a fan. There's something sort of brittle about it.

For me it's kind of between the Vox Mini5 and the Marshall. The Marshall really impressed me from the clips but obviously it's less versatile. The Mini5 has the best functionality, probably the best low end but in the demos the amp models had that kind of unnatural sharpness I associate with older modelers(as opposed to the newer generation like Zoom G3, Pod HD, Fender Mustang etc.). The Marshall drive sounds were all amazing, though the cleans were lacking(usually I don't mind Marshall cleans, since they're similar to a Bassman EQ wise).

I'm not sure if the Mini5 is using a new generation of modelling technology over the DA5 but I hope it is. The mic functionality is really useful - but if it sounds crappy, I may as well just get the Marshall, which seems to be a neat little amp.

Ideally I would like the Fender Mustang the best as I have a Mustang II back at my parents and it's great, and it has some of the best low gain sounds I've heard from a modeller, the twin impression is great too. But the speaker in it seems to be just as crappy as the DA5. I'll never understand why the Microcube can put out a decent amount of bass with a 5" speaker, but even an 8" guitar speaker tends to sound boxy as hell.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried the Nano Vypyr?

20. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

I like my Vox Mini5 a lot. It's the first amp I power up when I practice. It's also my first choice any time I go to jam with friends because all you need to take is a guitar, a cable and the amp. It can all be carried with one hand 8) The tone is surprising full for a 6.5" speaker and even takes my ME-70 well on the clean models. It even does pretty good with vocals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.