The Mighty Mizzou is flooding once again

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Sep 18, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

The road I take to Nebraska at Decatur, Ne. was getting close to being flooded on the Iowa side of the bridge. They had stashed some signs next to the road that probably said road closed in case it did flood. I should have known something was up.

I was going over to the reservation to do some rifle shooting at their range. I noticed that there was water alongside the range but it didn't look like the range itself was wet. I looked closely at the puddle and noticed it was starting to trickle in like a tiny creek. I thought I'd still be able to shoot but as I got close to where we put the targets up I noticed it was already getting covered in water.

By now it's probably underwater. The river has to get really high for the range to be flooded.

I they said on the news it's going to crest tomorrow morning. It's also supposed to start raining again tonight and the rest of the week.

Ruh roh...

uriah1 likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I guess the only thing to do is try to find higher ground, and don’t try to make it through water that’s too high
    Around here every ones billy badass with big 250/350 pickup trucks and try to make it over all the bridges and roads when it floods
    Water is a powerful force when it’s running and takes very little depth to take your car out of control before you can do anything about it
    So staying put is good unless you absolutely have to go around a flood area

Does it flood a lot in Nebraska/Iowa ?

3. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

It has a few times but not like this.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

I remember flying over the Mississippi/Missouri confluence with my wife's uncle's antique Piper cub. That was the once in every 500 year flood in 1993. Looked like half the country was underwater. Considering the land mass coverage of both of those rivers and everything else feeding into it, it takes a long time for waters to recede. Like what happens most years when the spring thaw came to the mid-west, or at least before the days of global warming... ;^(

5. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

It's raining pretty hard right now. They have buffalo penned up near the shooting range. Part of the area where they usually browse is underwater right now. Hope they don't drown.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not in the past. Now it's all the time. It's a crap shoot if you can drive from Kansas City to Omaha on Interstate Highway I-29. The most painless route from KC to Lincoln Nebraska has been open very little over the past couple years because of flooding. Then there's a stretch of I-29 from Omaha to Sioux City that goes under water pretty often. My hometown in NE Nebraska has a tame little river that I grew up on and it rages and ravishes thousands of acres that never saw water in the past.

The short answer is "yes". It floods a lot these days.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Rain? What is that?

We had a crapload of rain this spring, then come mid June, everything dried out and we have not gotten much since.

Our grass is rusting now - we need some rain to kill that fungus.

Keep the flooding on your side of the Mississippi though.

8. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I went to see what happened at the shooting range and it's under water now. Looks like a little pond. A small community that's close to the river on the Iowa side is flooded over like I've never seen it. The buildings there are like the FEMA houses they have for people in disasters. I think the residents use them like vacation houses.

9. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

New normal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.