1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The metric system question....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Togman, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Mais bien sûr, mon ami.

SRHmusic likes this.
  2. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Here in Blighty you might be 'meeting the Boys for a pint'
    (In this pub context 'pint' serves as both singular and plural- like sheep or deer, which may cause some spousal confusion)

Steerforth likes this.
  3. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

10^-3 is milli
    upload_2021-1-25_9-19-50.png

stompk and AAT65 like this.
  4. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Apologies. You're absolutely right. My face is doused in runny egg.

ale.istotle likes this.
  5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

It's a screw thread standard devised by Joseph Whitworth. The first standardised screw thread in the world.

He also designed guns.

You could see his house, well the grounds of his house, from where I used to live :)

6. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Remember time is based on sexagesimal, base 60 system!

We have no problem figuring time with it! Divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, and 60. Base 10 is 1, 2, 5, 10. Base 12 a sub set of base 60

Geographic data mixes it up degrees, base 10, and minutes, seconds base 60.......

ale.istotle likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Is the 24-hour clock really considered "metric"? I just thought it was its own thing.

The Wiki entry don't mention the metric system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock

The 24-hour clock, popularly referred to in the United States and some other countries as military time,[1][2] is the convention of timekeeping in which the day runs from midnight to midnight and is divided into 24 hours. This is indicated by the hours passed since midnight, from 0 to 23. This system is the most commonly used time notation in the world today,[1] and is used by the international standard ISO 8601.[3]

A number of countries, particularly English-speaking, use the 12-hour clock, or a mixture of the 24- and 12-hour time systems. In countries where the 12-hour clock is dominant, some professions prefer to use the 24-hour clock. For example, in the practice of medicine, the 24-hour clock is generally used in documentation of care as it prevents any ambiguity as to when events occurred in a patient's medical history.[4]

Jim_in_PA and Steerforth like this.
  8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Random Metric Colors
    Red - Millamauve
    Blue - Hectogreen
    Yellow - Picablue
    Green - Decabrown

9. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Runny egg seems a bit harsh. Also, at the mention of eggs, now I'm hungry.

10. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Actually, 21:34 is the ratio of the Golden Section. I just threw that in for no good reason other than to see if anyone would try to fit it into the metric or imperial systems.

I posted that at around 0645, after feeding the animals, but before having coffee. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Strange ideas crop up before coffee. The world isn’t real yet, and the Sidhe are still about.

11. BigDaddyLH

113:355

nearly pi!

Steerforth likes this.
  12. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Micro is 10^-6, and milli is 10^-3.
    Edit, sorry missed the other answers.:rolleyes:

13. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Yup, meme stolen.......

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Although the historical definition of the unit was based on this division of the Earth's rotation cycle, the formal definition in the International System of Units (SI) is a much steadier timekeeper: it is defined by taking the fixed numerical value of the caesium frequency ∆νCs, the unperturbed ground-state hyperfine transition frequency of the caesium-133 atom, to be 9192631770 when expressed in the unit Hz, which is equal to s−1.[1][2] Because the Earth's rotation varies and is also slowing ever so slightly, a leap second is periodically added to clock time[nb 1] to keep clocks in sync with Earth's rotation.

Clock-pendulum.gif

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    We use metric at the hospital....meds are in grams/milligrams, patient's weighed in kilos (but heights still listed as feet and inches, for whatever reason), and we use military time, which is irrelevant to this discussion, but I have the clock set in my car to display military time, and it pisses my wife off....perhaps because she works for a surgical group and they're only there 08:00 to 17:00 they feel no need to chart in 24 hr time, dunno.....but after noon, she just doesn't get it.....and it ain't rocket science, and all. Actually working the floor in a hospital, 24 hr/military time makes sense....at least to me.....or I've been browbeaten into accepting it ;)

goonie likes this.
  16. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

The U.K. is a bit of a mess in this regard, the worst is when I go to France most years ( not 2020 for obvious reasons) and have to work out the speed limits in kilometres back to miles as I go along. I have a lot of French speeding tickets.

And yes the weight of people in US tv and film is so confusing - ‘ he weighed 200lbs’ let’s see divide that by 14 and oh I’ve missed the entire next scene...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

Doesn't your speedometer show kph?

I'm thinking now... ny car's digital display is in kph, but when it's displaying as a dial it's also in kph but mph may be also there, in tiny numbers, I'll have to check.

And aren't the speed limit signs in the UK also in kph?

EDIT: my car's display is like this:

[​IMG]

The fact that it also displays mph didn't register in my brain :confused:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  18. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

No.

19. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Not just them. The metric system would singlehandedly have killed rock and roll. For examples:

(1) "I Can See For 1.61 Kilometers" would have been the premature death of the Who.

(2) "Lord I'm one, lord I'm two ...lord I'm 500 miles away from home..." would have had to have been converted to metric units.

(3) "And I would walk 500 miles (804.672 kilometers) and I would walk 500 (804.672 kilometers) more..." would not have worked had the lads (Charlie & Craig, better known as "the Proclaimers") been forced to sing about kilometers.

The 8th amendment prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.

20. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.