The Marshall SC20H/SV20H/2525H 20 watt owners club.

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by KelvinS1965, Feb 12, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I know there are already plenty of these out in the wild, judging by some other forums, but I didn't see an owners thread on here yet.

I've owned the 20 watt Mini Jubilee head and matching 2x12 cab for about 2 years now (which is also part of this new range, they've just changed the front panel labelling). I also have one of the 1 watt JMP1-H heads and matching custom made 1x12 cab. However, the 1 watt isn't loud enough to rehearse with or gig (obviously) so when I saw the new 20 watt SV20H (aka 'Plexi') I knew I'd want one to replace the 1 watter.

Mine arrived today; managed to find a B stock for sale at one of the few shops that had stock available. Supposed to be a mark on the front panel, but I'm blowed if I can see it. It wasn't a huge discount, but more that I could have it without waiting (most shops seem to show another month before deliveries are due). As a side advantage; last night I noticed that most UK dealers have put their prices up by about £26 as both the Classic and Vintage heads are now mostly advertised at £875 up from £849 at launch.

I'll take some photos later and post back on this thread...for now I'm off to try it out. Tomorrow night I'm at the rehearsal studio, so will get chance to crank it a bit more than I will at home; my neighbour plays guitar with me anyway and our house is detached anyway. :)

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

What if you don't like it? Will you quit the club? ;)

I'm sure you'll dig it. The reviews are mostly positive so far. Congrats!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Well I've got 2 out 3 of them, if you count my 2525H (that isn't labelled as a studio since it's 2 years old) so I reckon I'll be OK. :)

It's very loud even in 5 watt mode; I use my 2525H in the living room all the time in 5 watt mode, but it has a master volume of course. The 'Plexi' won't be loud enough to distort at home, so I'll have to wait until the studio tomorrow night to hear it distorting.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Took some photos:
    Plexi 1.jpg

This is where my 2525H usually lives, no problem with cooling as I always play with the door open, before anyone worries. ;)

Plexi 3.jpg

There is a 2x12 Greenback loaded cab behind the projector screen (approx behind where the photo is):
    Plexi 2.jpg

VWAmTele and tce63 like this.
  6. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I was thinking SV20 combo but ordered the SV20H today after watching this review. I have a 1x12 closed back cab that will suit perfectly & I know its not a bedroom amp which some refuse to acknowledge or understand.

tce63 likes this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Yes, definitely not a bedroom amp (unless you want to use it clean I guess). I found that even 5 watt mode was loud in the studio the other night and not much quieter than 20 watt subjectively. At least the tone seemed to stay the same between modes. I've ordered an attenuator as I want to be able to play it in the studio at slightly more managable levels, then turn it up more for gigs. If it works well enough I can play it at home, but I gather too much attenuation can kill the tone.

tce63 likes this.
  8. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Which attenuator did you order ?
    I need to get one also i think, But I haven´t got the amp yet

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've ordered the Palmer PD106 which is the 16 ohm version (since my cabs are 16ohms). I've got a 30 day return option if it really doesn't do what I expect, though having watched a few videos one thing they seem to say is how transparent it is. I'd just like to be able to shave a bit off the level when we're one of the smaller studios like Wednesday night and if I can play it at home too, then that is a bonus.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Palmer-PDI06L16-Power-Attenuator-16-Ohms/R1M

They do an 8 ohm model as well.

tce63 likes this.
  10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

It took me 3 attempts, but today I finally received a working/not thrown around by the delivery driver attenuator. This allows me to play in the 5 watt mode with it lowered down to 25% level and have the amp cranked to 7 or above.

It really does just seem to make it quieter: Obviously some of the sound is lost, but that is more due to the way our ears work with less bass heard at lower levels, but it's certainly usable and allows me to get used to the amp at home before the next rehearsal. I think I will still use it at the studio too, just to trim it back a bit to save our ears...I can crank it at gigs.

Attenuator.jpg

tce63 likes this.
  11. tce63

Finally, Congrats !

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Tried it with my 1x12 custom made cab today. It has a Celestion V30 in it and is a closed back cab. It seems a little quieter than my 2x12 and not as rich sounding, but a bit of eq sorts that. Setting the Palmer to 25% output and it's a nice level to play at home.

It looks the part too I reckon:
    Plexi Stack 1.jpg

Bluey and tce63 like this.
  13. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

Well, I seriously jammed with the SV20H and 212 cab yesterday. My thoughts...
    IT is really LOUD even on the 5W channel. I wish the Loudness knobs were a little bit more progressive, one tiny turn and it gets loud in a hurry. Used the volume control on the guitar to tame it to playable levels. Good thing I have no neighbors. Plugged in the old EHX East River Drive and it drove the amp nicely, I got much better tone than the old Marshall DSL that I sold for the SV20H; very satisfied with this. Pics coming soon.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I tried my Les Paul through it yesterday (it's an Epiphone, that I've fitted Bareknuckle Mules and re-wired with CTS pots). I know exactly what you mean about the volume knobs and 5 watt mode, the attenuator gets over that problem though: I can turn the knobs to 7 or so for a nice lead tone and then control the overall volume with the attenuator (25% seems about right at home through my 1x12 above).

I was getting all those classic rock tones out of it with the Les Paul...playing along with Free on Alright Now and the tone was pretty much a match for the record. Just what I've been after for songs of that ilk.

b2187101 likes this.
  15. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

Marshall Plexi.jpg

KelvinS1965 and tce63 like this.
  16. tce63

FINALLY at home :)

Going to be a long night....................

So far it sounds fantastic !

But loud, even with Palmer PDI-06 attenuator

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.