The Man Who Sold The World

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by simonsp, Jul 20, 2015.

1. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I'm sure this is a Visconti/Ronson/Woodmansey LP as much as a Bowie.
    Monster playing all round.

2. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

Love that record!

3. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

It's a proper old-school heavy album from Bowie.

You can tell he'd been listening to Cream and Sabbath.

I especially like 'Saviour Machine', the song about the artificial God: "Please don't believe in me..."

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

It's a fantastic album. I love Ronno's playing on it, as well as his guitar sound generally. We do the title track in my band, the thinking being it'll go down well with fans of Bowie, Nirvana and...Lulu.

5. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

1970 I was in gr 10.... just getting into these new British sounds.... after the beatle/B&W decade...

we sort of grew up with each new Bowie LP.. each new Sabbath/Zep.. each new...... yadda yadda... we absorbed them all....

glorious times for NOW music..... no one I knew listened to anything more than a year old.... the next LP old...... there was so much going on.....

7. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Love it, love it, love it! That record was Earth shattering. In that period, Bowie had a string of masterworks. David had top notch players, and it really paid off.

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I'd be facinated to learn how that record was made. Large parts of it seem to be jams between Ronson and Visconti but then there are very defined structures to the songs as well. From stuff I've read it sounds as though the band was jamming in the studio while Bowie hung out with his latest flame (Angie?) but he must have been soaking it all up as the songs are brilliant. It's a strange interlude between Space Oddity and Hunky Dory.

Wiki is my knowledgeable friend -

The album was written and rehearsed at David Bowie's home in Haddon Hall, Beckenham, an Edwardian mansion converted to a block of flats that was described by one visitor as having an ambience "like Dracula's living room".[8] As Bowie was preoccupied with his new wife Angie at the time, the music was largely arranged by guitarist Mick Ronson and bassist/producer Tony Visconti.[9] Although Bowie is officially credited as the composer of all music on the album, biographers such as Peter Doggett have marshaled evidence to the contrary, quoting Visconti saying "the songs were written by all four of us. We'd jam in a basement, and Bowie would just say whether he liked them or not." In Doggett's narrative, "The band (sometimes with Bowie contributing guitar, sometimes not) would record an instrumental track, which might or might not be based upon an original Bowie idea. Then, at the last possible moment, Bowie would reluctantly uncurl himself from the sofa on which he was lounging with his wife, and dash off a set of lyrics."

9. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Space Oddity and The Man Who Sold The World were something that an old girlfriend of mine played constantly, until she discovered The Smiths. Then that was all she played for the remainder of our relationship. All these recordings influenced me as much as my preferred Black Flag, Butthole Surfers, and Black Sabbath by sheer osmosis. Brilliant stuff Bowie did. Really orchestral in his arrangement and production. Although I like vinyl recordings for the cohesive nature of sonic output, it's really fun to appreciate the production aforded through recent digital remastering technology.

10. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

First two Bowie records I owned at 15 or 16 yrs of age :

1.) Man Who...

2.) Pinups

3rd was Ziggy.

Mick F****** Ronson :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(He was sooooo good it's funny...)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.