The love and adoration for the Fender Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by HaroldBKNY, Sep 28, 2021.

1. HaroldBKNY

HaroldBKNY Tele-Meister

Where does it come from? I feel like Fender SRs are held in much higher esteem than many other BF/SF amps, and as such they sell for much more $$$. Is this amp so desired mostly because of the Stevie Ray Vaughan hype?

Dr Improbable and nojazzhere like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The SRV adoration is for the Vibroverb more so. People equate a rare amp with his expertise! haha But he did use SR's and Twins some too.
    Nah, I think it's just that 4 x 10 is a special sound that people like. Almost like adding a dimension in sound. The amp is about the same as most all bigger BF Fenders inside.
    Last I heard Supers are not at a premium any more than Twins are because no one wants to cart one around. Although all this love could change that.... Wasn't very long ago you could get a SF Twin or Super for $500

3. HaroldBKNY

HaroldBKNY Tele-Meister

Sign me up!

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I don't have a Super Reverb, but a buddy of mine owns a '68 that I love to play.
    With me it's more ' the big boy Fender w/Reverb' gig amp- good for blues, R&R, R&B, Country, Derek Trucks...

The SRV attraction is not a thing with me ( sorry I loved the guy too, but just much more to blues/guitar playing in general, than SRV/guitar-slinger stuff).

I know Twins are more powerful, but the Super's height and BF/SF look just command attention onstage.

Can't afford one, can't carry one, no room in an apartment for one, don't play gigs that would need one, but I want a Super Reverb!
    640486-15f5f2ace5d3c888da697116e91711ce.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Typo, should have said $600. But realistically, those days are gone. I bought a SF Super Reverb at GC in California for $299 about 10 years ago. Why so low? It kept blowing fuses while I tried it out, so I offered "as is". Turns out.... they were putting 1 amp fuses in! Nothing wrong with it.

I sold my near perfect 66 BF to friend for $850 about 6-7 years ago and never should have done that. Clean as a pin with the CTS Alnicos in it. UGH.

Twins, Pro's and Super are definitely out there under $1000 though. Supers are up a bit higher, but I bet one can be had for $1k

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I've owned multiple vintage Fenders, and several modern ones and clones. IMO, the BFSR was Leo Fenders amp building high watermark. Best Fender amp ever from a tone standpoint. That said, it's day has past, as it's too big, too loud and has a volume sweet spot where it sounds so good that any less and it's just not the same. At vol 3 or less, I just couldn't get that "at vol 5" sound out of my head, and was never happy. And at vol 5, it's too loud to mic, unless you're playing stadiums.

LOVED it, had to sell it, don't regret it.

But a healthy BFSR at 5+, with alnico speakers, a good strat, and a good TS type OD=Best Fender tone ever.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

To oversimplify, they sound “big”.
    Supers are my favorite clean Fender amps.
    I do not like them when pushed.
    Twins are louder, more “directional”, and have less mids.
    Pros sound great too.
    “Tighter” sounding than a Super, less directional than a Twin.
    Clean Supers sound great with almost any guitar.
    Just my opinions, YRMV.

8. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Because they sound good, big-full sound, 6L6’s, Tube Rectified, 40 Watts, Reverb, 4-speakers, and it looks cool.
    I’m on my sixth vintage Super Reverb, three BF and three SF Supers. My current early 1968 black-line drip-edge Super Reverb.

03AD4611-F36B-402D-A0A5-6BEA7C87102E.jpeg

9. HaroldBKNY

HaroldBKNY Tele-Meister

I usually hear people say that Supers are more directional, because 10" speakers are more directional.
    Here, for example: http://fenderguru.com/amps/super-reverb/

mojo filters and brookdalebill like this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool.
    Good read!
    From my perspective, the Super fills the room better, when played at pre-distortion volumes.
    I own no Supers or Twins anymore, for old guy reasons, but I used em’ both for decades.
    Anyways, my opinions are just based on my memories of the amps.
    I haven’t had a Super in 30 years, a Twin In 12 years.
    I miss using them, but the bands I play in are quieter, and less guitar-centric, these days.
    When I stop gigging (hopefully not soon), I’d love to have a healthy BF Super for a home amp.

trouserpress likes this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

For a “smallish” (40 watt) 6L6 it’s a cool amp with the AB763 pre stages. What else is there? Bandmaster is “not right.” Weirdo AB165 config? Personally I think the vibroluxes are enough. And pros are cool too. But I understand the renaissance of the super. That single pair 6L6 with the AB763 pre could make a ton of people happy who are looking for more than a deluxe but not some behemoth like the twin.

12. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I gave up on them and 10" speakers 30 yrs ago but a friend has a cosmetically and functionally challenged late 67 very early SF (with that unusual grillcloth that is only found around that time) that I may pick up and renovate. My main problem was blowing speakers all the time (6 out of 8 at one gig in a big room where I used two) and there are many more choices these days as compared to the late 80s.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I gigged for many years with a Super Reverb. I could play ANYWHERE with it.....large venues, outdoors, wherever. It was occasionally "too much" amp, but we dealt with it. But I would disagree a little with your premise.....I think Twins, and more particularly Deluxe Reverbs are the most revered and sought after Black Face amps. Back in the "day" Deluxe Reverbs were viewed largely as "student amps", and not desired for gigging. Now, I think many agree that it is the single best gigging amp available. I LOVED my Super Reverb, but I doubt I will ever own one again.
    BTW....I'm not sure the Super Reverb is higher in price (compared to original list) than a Deluxe Reverb. (?) ;)

Antoon and telemnemonics like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve owned five of them and got into them before I heard of Stevie.
    My thing is they sound more Marshally than any other BF circuit amp. (Not JCM800 though for those who don’t have the Marshall encyclopedia, I mean the older cleaner Marshall’s)
    I was also a spring reverb addict and had to have the sproing morning moon and night.
    Switched to actual Marshall’s and am even happier. Took some rough withdrawal symptoms going without reverb but I sneak in a little AD to take the edge off my cravings.

15. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

• Muddy Waters
    • Magic Sam
    • Ronnie Earl
    • Derek Trucks
    • Anson Funderburgh
    • Philip Sayce
    • Wes Montgomery
    • Steve Cropper (blues bros)
    • And many others...............

Plug a Strat in a Super and you will immediately notice some magic. Not only a strat - any guitar - but especially a Strat

dang, jglenn, Glen W and 1 other person like this.
  16. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

17. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

This..

18. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Doctor of Teleocity

I owned a 1970 SR for a while about 8 years ago before I moved it on to a younger man.

My late wife, who rarely commented on my musical gear, said (on the first day I played through it) that it was the best sounding amp she had heard.

19. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Ronnie Earl has said that a Strat & a SR is a match made in heaven. Would have to agree. :cool:

black_doug likes this.
  20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Jimmie Vaughan, in the early days of the T-Birds, used two Super Reverbs, cranked wide open…! :eek::eek::eek:

Even though he used them, I don’t associate Super Reverbs with Stevie Ray Vaughan; yes, they were a part of his sound, but I associate him with ‘64 Vibroverbs, Marshall Town & Country and Dumbles more than Super Reverbs.

I love all things Fender + 4x10…Tweed Bassman, Super Reverb, Bassman Ten…spectacular!

nojazzhere and as5431 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.