The Looper Lounge

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Honga Man, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

We have had some good threads in the Stomp Box sub-forum here about loopers. These usually start as "which looper is best" or similar and often have some good looping info but then those threads sink into oblivion over time.

Let's discuss techniques, ideas, and setups here. Other ideas - what kind of music are you looping? What songs work particularly well with a looper? How are you using multi-loop pedals such as Boomerangs and RC-50s and the more powerful software loopers? How are you adding more instruments and sounds to your loops? What works and what doesn't? Got any recorded looping experiments or performances to share?

To get things started, here's my low-budget home looping/recording setup:

Electric guitars into Fender G-DEC amp, used as a preamp. The G-DEC has inputs for two guitars, so I can switch from Tele to electric 12-string, for example, "on the fly". I send the headphone output from the G-DEC to a small mixing board. A Line 6 POD or multi-effects floorboard would work just as well to provide different sounds with the touch of a button or press of a foot pedal.

Bass guitar into bass preamp into mixer.

Keyboard at stand-up height into mixer, so I can play guitar or bass and keyboard at the same time - well, not exactly the same time, but you know what I mean. Sometimes I'll swap leads between guitar and keys and the recordings sound like two players trading off - a mediocre guitarist vs. a really crummy keyboard player.

Drum machine into mixer.

A Peavey Microbass amp works pretty well as a preamp for my Ovation acoustic/electric. I don't use this often, but it works. The headphone jack from the Microbass goes to the mixer.

Microphone into mixer. This is for acoustic guitar, hand-held percussion, and strange vocal noises.

I have a Boss RC-2 Loop Station with the optional FS-5U pedal to stop the loop with one click instead of two in the effects loop of the mixing board.

The control room output of the mixing board sends the mono signal from the RC-2 to one channel of a Fostex 8-track digital recorder. This way I can record "live looping", which I do less and less of these days. Still, it's fun sometimes.

The main output of the mixer goes to the aux input of a Fender 25-watt SS 1x10 bass amp. This is my monitor.

Finally, when I want to listen to music through this setup, or occasionally loop something pre-recorded, I plug in my mp3 player or computer into the aux inputs of the looper.

All this was heavily influenced by Albert Lee Land on YouTube. Check out his videos for some excellent and amazing multi-instrument live looping.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm inspired by multi-instrument looping as well. I use the Digitech Stereo Looper. An awesome machine. I can take anything that can translate into iTunes and then translate into the Digitech software and then download directly into the looper. Any song, backing tracks and drum loops. I bought the FABE button on eBay that slips over the store button, so that on the fly you can store a loop into multiple locations and then with the regular 4 foot switches you can do a bunch of different things on the fly.
    I set up my pedal board with an A-B switcher and have a rhythm loop and a lead loop, so that I can, live, lay lead over the rhythm. Great for writing your own stuff. I use my wife's bass to lay basslines and then loop over with my guitar.
    It is the best for trying out original stuff!

3. mudbelly

mudbelly Tele-Meister

I am new to looping having just bought The Jam Man Stereo. I am pleased with the unit. It does what I intend. I am just getting used to the features but so far have done effective loops using an Eastwood baritone guitar for lead and bass lines, open tuned DeArmond x-145 for rhythm guitar or slide, lap steel and a bongo cajon for drums. The instruments go through a pedal board with wah, overdrive, phase shifter, delay, trem and a Digitech bass synth. So far I have been running it through my Champ II as I learn but I do own Bandmaster and Bassman amps when I am ready to get big.

Thanks to all good looping advice here. I'll check out the FABE button mentioned.

4. dngrsdave

dngrsdave Tele-Meister

I also have a Digitech Stereo Looper and really enjoy using as a "Band in a Box" . I just noodle around in my Jam room, I've never even played with another person and haven't played in front of an audience.

I run my guitar with a few pedal into an A/B splitter. Then 1 line goes right to my Guitars amp, a Mustang 1, while the second splits to a Digitech RP155 to the Looper and then into its own "clean" amp, kind of like a P.A..I also have a mic plugged into the back of the Stereo Looper for vocals or Tamborines or cowbells or....

This way I can 1st start a drum track loop with the RP155 Multi effect pedal, and add layers to my loop to fill out a backing track. This all goes out to my clean signal amp.

After I'm Happy with the "Band" loop, I'll A/B switch to the guitar's amp and play along to the Loop and practice playing leads . I've got a bunch of these backing loops saved and can play to them or make New ones. Using the Looper this way has Greatly Improved my Timing and Lead Playing as well

I'm starting to mess with downloading the loop track's to my home computer to mix them with Audacity.

5. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Jamman Stereo

Strat -> Effects -> A/B Box
    a) -> Super Champ XD
    b) -> Joyo American Sound -> Mackie mixer

Mixer also gets input from:
    - Keyboards
    - Mics (for all manner of acoustic instruments)
    - Drum Machine
    - Acoustic w/ PU

Effect Sends (1) and (2) feed the L and R inputs of the Jamman.
    Jamman feeds back into the Mackie.
    Mackie mains go to the studio monitors.

I usually start with a drum beat and a rhythm guitar part.
    Once the loop is recorded, I then stop the drum machine, and switch the A/B box back to the SCXD. I'm now playing along without sharing the amp.

Most difficult thing is recording keyboards! It is quite a challenge for me to use one foot on the damper pedal and the other controlling the looper.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Oooh, I like dngrsdave and Cooper Black's set ups with two amps. I already have the A/B box. Thanks for the ideas!

7. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

I have a few loopers. Boss RC-20, Line6 JM4, and Boss ME-70 (really a multi FX but with a long enough delay loop time to cover a 12-bar tune). Each has their pros and cons. I do have some recordings that I can share once I dig them up, post them, etc.

8. snakestrecher$

snakestrecher$ Tele-Meister

I love the dl4 for doing little loops that you reverse and use as a background ala frisell, not to play changes but just to fill te sound out.

The boss looper is what I use to record the changes to tunes to play over and practice soloing

Both are great for different purposes. You can get some crazy sounds with the dl4s half and double time functions

http://youtu.be/WQlG07bOQUE

9. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Anyone doin the ditto?

10. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i have a vox lil looper. nice little product. chris.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't use one because then I'd have to listen to myself play and it's not worth it. I suck. ;)

12. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I had the ditto. Great little pedal, very simple to use. Returned it because I am not a pedal guy. If I were to ever need one I would buy again.

13. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I have an RC-50.
    This is one of the few devices that I have that i do not feel I have mastered yet.
    I have to do like OP and plug the mixer into it.
    At the moment I have it going into the mixer and I can easily generate strange washes, and bits .
    And I can load in drum loops and build over them.
    But I need to get better at it.

14. forensicdoc

forensicdoc Tele-Meister

TC Electronic Ditto

Hello, I could use some advice. I recently bought a TC Electronic Ditto - a wee tiny looper pedal with a lone knob. I love it, or at least I think I'll love it once I figure it out. The problem I have is one of when to start/stop the loop so that the loop keeps a consistent rhythm and there is no delay or hiccup in between the last note of the loop and the return to the first note of the loop. I've been trying to click the pedal "on" as close to the first beat/note of the riff and click it "off" at the end of the last full beat of the riff, but I always end up with a slight hiccup in the timing of the transition from the end of the looped riff to the beginning of the next repeated loop. The other 2 guys in our 3 piece keep on rolling in proper time and the loop ends up out of time with the band.

Am I doing an adequate job explaining my dilemma? Tips, suggestions?

15. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

I know that seems correct, but try instead letting the looper do its thing.

Stomp ON the 1st beat of your riff. Stomp OFF on the 1st beat of your riff.

16. iguazux

iguazux Tele-Meister

Try with a metronome.

17. arnieus

arnieus TDPRI Member

Pedal Suggestions?

Hello all. New to this forum and hoping for some advice. Maybe a dumb question but here goes. I am fairly new to looping but have been using a RC-20 for a couple years, playing mostly acoustic. I like it fairly well, sound is OK but I am wanting to upgrade as the RC-20, bought used, has gotten noisy.

What I most want is no delay when starting a layered track over the initial loop. Example. I lay down a 12-bar blues track. With the RC20 it takes a few seconds to store the loop before I can tap the overdub pedal. So, I (and everybody else) have to wait for it to play through to the beginning again before I can add to it. With a slow blues that is quite a while. Hope that makes sense.

I don't need any effects or mega storage since I only want to use it live. Any suggestions?

18. Outspan79

Outspan79 Tele-Meister

Hey, it can be quite flustrating when you first start using a looper pedal but it is purely a matter of timing and soon becomes second nature. The best way to do it is to count the beats in your head, your drummer could easily give you a four count.

When you start looping, for some reason your brain always wants to stop the loop on the 4th beat of the bar. Unfortunately this is wrong. Think about it, if you stop on the 4th beat, in reality your bar will only have 3 beats in it.

A two bar loop would look like this - Start-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-Stop

Hope this helps, happy looping!

19. arnieus

arnieus TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. I have this timing down fairly well. I would like "Stop" to begin the loop, while simultaneously triggering an overdub.

This:
    Start-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-Stop-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-
    -------------------------Dub-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-

Not this:
    Not Start-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-Stop-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-Loop-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-
    -----------------------------------------------------Dub-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-

I don't to wait through the first loop before I can add to the loop. Any pedals do this?:confused:

20. CT SA

CT SA TDPRI Member

Most loop pedals can do this. The Ditto and the Digitech Jamman Express are 2 that can't. As far as I know the entire Boss looper range can. Also as Digitech's jamman solo, stereo and delay pedals can all go straight to overdub.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.