The long (?) wait, or How long should I wait to take out a new guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by nicknklv, Jan 7, 2021.

1. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Heya, hope you're all having a fine day!

I am waiting on a new Ibanez Artist AR720 (which I did a thread about not long ago). I ordered it about 15 days ago and it is almost here, awaiting delivery today or tomorrow. I am based in Sweden and it's coming from Italy, and clearly spent a lot of time in distribution centers due to the holidays. It is being shipped in a hard-shell case, and a carton box around that I assume.

How long should I wait to open up the case and take out the guitar?

The finish is poly, so no real concern for cracks, but I don't want to shock it and have the neck go wonky on me. Here it's currently snowing and around 0 Celsius.

What say ye, fellow TDPRI'ers?

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

I don't think a 20° difference will do much. I would unwrap it, open the case and let it acclimate for a short period, just so you don't freeze your hands. The wood on the guitar is encased in plastic. The shock is minimal, it's not like you'd get it from the freezer and dip it in a hot 40° bath.

I don't think the shipping company blinked twice when they put it from the warehouse to the cold delivery truck.

gimmeatele and nicknklv like this.
  3. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

About 2 nanoseconds.

thunderbyrd and gimmeatele like this.
  4. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

If that

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

When Sweetwater ships a guitar in the cold climates, they put a huge sign on the case, "Do not open for 24 hours," or some words to that effect.

I obey that warning, but that's just me.

I open up the top flap of the exterior shipping box so that I can see the interior box or guitar case, set it just like that in a little-used room some where in the comfortably-heated house, and I wait.

Give it time for temperatures to slowly equalize.
    It's worth the wait.

PS - I have never experienced a warped neck, cracked finish, or even a broken string.
    For whatever that's worth.

;)

DuckDodgers likes this.
  6. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I've waited a full 24 hours in the past when the temperature differential was large - 0F outside, 68F inside.

I figure I already waited to in the lead-up to receiving it saving the money for the purchase, researching the purchase, finding THE ONE that is just right, and then waiting for the shipping, why not wait a bit longer?

I open one end of the outer box and lay it down horizontally and then ignore it until "tomorrow". It's fun to temporarily "forget" about it and then excitedly remember it again during the waiting period.

I don't know if it actually helped, but I felt better and never experienced any damage to the finish.

nicknklv likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

NOTICE: if your wife doesn't know about the new guitar, you have to wait until she discovers it under a bed or in the back of a closet. You: "Oh, I've had that guitar for years."

The main reason is opening an ice-cold guitar in a warm house can cause moisture to condense on metal parts on/in the guitar and create corrosion problems.

Damage to finishes and pickups is not a problem, although you hear stories about the finish cracking, etc. Finishes crack and pickups fail only when rapidly cooled, not heated.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Depends on last leg of journey... if a small van it may be warm already when it arrives.

9. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Poly is not going to check like nitro.
    Extreme rapid changes in environment can exhibit "blush" under a porous finish.
    I would be more concerned about humidity than temperature.

nicknklv likes this.
  10. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

This right here is GENIUS :D

Peegoo likes this.
  11. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

I don't understand the wait time. Guitars aren't shipped in temperature contolled packaging. The inside temp of the packaging will be the same as the outside temp in less than an hour.

12. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

How honest shall I be? I think it's probably a bad idea to just open 'er up and take it out right away. Typically, I just open 'er up and take it out right away. So...you know.

Bean1871 likes this.
  13. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Ooooo. Exactly. It helps to have enough guitars that it's hard for 'em to keep track: another rock solid reason to maximize the guitar density around the home.

Wallaby likes this.
  14. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

It's a solid body electric with a poly finish, there is no reason to wait.

nicknklv likes this.
  15. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Its not your first born , or a puppy
    Its a tool meant to be used

16. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

You all think he'll wait ? :lol:

nicknklv likes this.
  17. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Well, I gave it an hour and a half at home, and opened it up. One big bummer is the 3-way pickup selector is broken. First I thought that the knob was not attached but then I saw that it was shattered (see pic).

It's an LP-style toggle switch. Now I've got to figure out if I can find parts/ want to fix a brand new guitar or send it back. Not at all what I had hoped for. :(

What bothers me is that it's this tiny slot in the back, and I've really got work clean with my soldering if I don't want to ruin it.

Attached Files:

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How well do you know her? maybe take her for a cup of coffee first?

WTF? Play your guitar. I hope you don't have any winter gigs, you'll be waiting a couple hours for your guitar to warm up while the band plays the first two sets....:eek:

19. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

The exact reason why you wait...if it's a guitar of value. Most times you do not need to, but there was this one time at band camp...

20. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Sorry to hear that...if sending it back is not an option perhaps some serious epoxy or good crazy glue meticulously applied would fix it. Do some research for the best way. That would normally be a deal breaker.

nicknklv likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.