The lone wolf

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoarDog, Dec 8, 2019.

1. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

I'm assuming there's at least a few of us on here, most every facet of my life is driven by my need for solitude. Don't get me wrong I'm married we have kids, jobs, friends etc. But I choose to live in a remote area (I can't see any neighbors houses from ours). Only public utility is electricity although we also have solar and generators. I work unsupervised and don't have to deal with the general public. A 30 sec walk from my back porch and I'm in the sticks. It's not for everyone. I'm not endorsing it, but it works for me.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    BB, ukepicker, Shuster and 13 others like this.
  2. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I envy you! My wife and I are working toward that lifestyle!

3. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

Shuster, omahaaudio, Torren61 and 6 others like this.
  4. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Keep paddling!

Dan German, MarkieMark and esetter like this.
  5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like being by myself and I often gravitate towards that. But it can become detrimental and I have to intentionally keep an eye on that.

We all have to find our mix, I suppose.

BB, RodeoTex, JimInMO and 1 other person like this.
  6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

10 years in bush Alaska 700 miles from the nearest road. Then 25 years at 5 miles from town out in the woods. Retired and the last 5 years in a quiet suburb. Still only 25 minutes from a mountaintop to ski on....I don't mind living on town. Love having restaurants and such close by, and flat winter roads.

KyAnne, Shuster, Flaneur and 4 others like this.
  7. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

From 26 to 29 I was unmarried, alone and living completely off-grid on 20 acres that bordered a wildlife preserve... I got cabin fever for sure. Happy medium for sure.

Obsessed and getbent like this.
  8. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I don't thing humans are meant to be "alone". I do think too much interaction is too much. However, all over the internet almost "justifying" this need for being alone/being an introvert/not needing people around. Seems to be exclusively one sided, people that get together with people don't post things like this.

stevemc and RoarDog like this.
  9. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Agreed, It's not for everyone and definitely not the only way to go.

10. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Wish I could do the same - good for you. This world is a little too "busy" for me. I have a few lifelong friends and enjoy peace and quiet.

Obsessed and RoarDog like this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Great scene from a Top 10 movie for me.

12. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

That sounds like bliss! I'm a big fan of solitude and although I work in an office,I do my best to go the whole day without talking to anyone.

Obsessed, Si G X and RoarDog like this.
  13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’m right on the border between being a loner and a crowd lover. I need a mix. I’ve spent long periods alone and with crowds and neither is “me”. I’ll be the life of the party then go home when I’ve had enough and not even want to answer the phone. I seek both people interaction, however brief, and solitude pretty much daily.

I’ve spent lengthy periods of time in NW Ontario hunting and working alone and with no TV, limited phone service and one radio station that can get to be a bit much. I’m fine working or hunting all day but in the cabin the solitude is not always so delightful. I’ve found that brief interaction with a human, like something as simple as chatting briefly with a store clerk or a passing hunter can rejuvenate me. I’m the same with crowds, where a few hours alone has me ready for the masses again.

I do know people who lean much more sharply to the loner or crowd lover side.

Shuster, Skub and RoarDog like this.
  14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

How do you do that? Living 700 miles from the nearest road?

ukepicker and ce24 like this.
  15. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

I can be alone in a crowded room. I believe the solitary preference can be used on all such occasions,the real art comes in causing folk to imagine you are connected and not standoffish.

I need those skills at this time of the year!

16. Bark

Bark TDPRI Member

I used love seclusion and still do , but now I want to live 30 minutes or less from an hospital emergency room. I have had to be rushed to the hospital about once a year for the last 5 years. Mostly heart issues, but the last one was to get my appendix pulled out.

telestratosonic and RoarDog like this.
  17. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, I can't do one or the other for too long, I'm about 20 mins from town and that's plenty far away for me. I have friends that are a good hour from town and that's too far other's that live on the main drag and it's fun for awhile but living in close proximity to bars and nightlife is too much.

Stubee likes this.
  18. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I was raised by wolves

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

if we celebrate when we found the right balance for us.... I think that is fantastic and inspiring. If we make it a prescription or a way that others would do well to mimic, it starts to be problematic. If we take to social media (like a discussion board) to celebrate our lack of need for interaction, while interacting with hundreds or thousands of people at once... it is kind of a confused message.

I dig that you have found a good balance and I think that is what you are saying. That happiness is infectious, so thanks for sharing!

20. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

That was definitely on my mind when I was looking for property, we found a gorgeous and well maintained property that would have been perfect had it not been so far away.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.