The lone letter "D" that appears on those early telecaster style Fender guitars.

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by tonyj, Jul 13, 2018.

1. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

It's pretty close to seventy years since this iconic series of guitars was first produced.

Surely then there were inquisitive owners or enthusiasts at that time who bought the guitars new or even used and at some later date, who might have asked this same question regarding their guitar at some point. A question that is still puzzling current day owners.

Some of those people are likely still with us. People are actually still buying or trading for them - at least the very lucky ones are.

I can't believe that taking into account how many questions are actually asked on this forum alone, and which are usually answered in double quick time by our own experts, and usually in regards to the most cherished of our guitars, the Telecaster ....... that the one guitar that spawned this whole website, is still harbouring it's own secrets.

Ask what Thadeo's mother-in-law's maiden name was, and someone will give us the answer.

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

It really looks like no one can answer this. I have seen it come up rather often over the years
    When someone contacted Tadeos Family years ago , they knew about his time at Fender , but had no Idea about the initials , or the importance they mean to the owners

3. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

My suggestion, based on credentials which have been widely discredited, is that D was the universal shorthand for a 'pass'.

slinger likes this.
  4. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Not knowing shorthand, is the "letter" D universally accepted as indicating a pass for something? ..... as in 'this item has met all the required criteria'.

If that is the case, and this is not a fictitious theory, then perhaps we are close to solving this puzzle.

Shorthand experts please chime in.

5. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

I received a "D" grade in many classes in high school. Had it not indicated a passing grade I might still be there (25 years later).

Smiff likes this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Too many years to know now....

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

There are no marks on my '53 neck other than the 12-53 in pencil.

Neck Date.jpg

Also, the neck pocket in the '65 body has this strange black ink stamp.

body3.jpg

2blue2 and DaphneBlue like this.
  8. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

D looks hammer stamped..why stamp? because.. it doesn't come off..must be a major reason we don't want it to come off...and take the extra time to stamp....the D sits proud and is boss over the penciled dates and initials...my guess...it is a PASS..[​IMG]

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Smilie? like : D

10. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Always an interesting discussion and it's fascinating that there is no clear answer. In this early process of the production of an item that was in constant adjustment, the code in the modification process guessing is tempting, when checking to indicate a deflect or after correction to indicate it's done. But that might concern the whole guitar each time, because if it were about checking either a body or a neck, we would have some instruments with both parts stamped D and as far as I remember, every instrument that has a D, has no more than one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

11. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

See LostVenture post #6. This indicates nut width.

12. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In my career field, we have quality control stamp items as they are received, or built, when ready to accept/use. This D may have been the stamp of a QC inspector that the item had been inspected and found satisfactory for use. If found on a guitars made within a given time frame, and not on earlier/later models, that also points to the possibility that it is a personal stamp of approval/acceptance.

13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Inspected by Xochitl ?

14. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

No. Different marking altogether from the rubber stamp marks on neck heels which indicated nut widths and were introduced years later. See post #9.

The impressed mark is recorded on guitars from 1951 to 1954 and is found on bodies as well as neck heels. Why record a nut width spec on a body?

A "D" represents a 1 7/8 " nut on that scale and I have never heard of an early Broadcaster, Esquire or Telecaster with such a neck width.

Twisted Kerle likes this.
  15. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Ranchers used them to combat widespread guitar rustling in the wild west. Those particular doggies were clearly from the Tele D Ranch.

Skamania likes this.
  16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure it's a clue to where Leo hid the buried treasure.

dotpc, Skamania and Smiff like this.
  17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Deep state.

E5RSY likes this.
  18. telecasterbill

telecasterbill TDPRI Member

Interesting, my '54 telecaster has that little pencilled "Z" as well! Whatever that means...

19. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One popular theory discussed, and I recall offered by 0l’ Fuzzy was D was stamped to demote ‘dry’, i.e. the lacquer being ‘dry enough’ to handle without leaving fingerprints.

I’ve flicked through the posts and there’s talk of ‘quality control marks’ but if you read Forrest White’s book about the early years at Fender, very few concepts of quality control were evident in those early years.

Sadly the D will go down in history as one of those great unsolved mysteries.

:) Peter

tonyj likes this.
  20. Tele-Dave

Tele-Dave Tele-Holic

I stamped them with my first name initial so they can be identified if stolen.
    Please return them immediately to me to avoid prosecution.
    Shipping address to follow...….

El Tele Lobo and 2blue2 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.