The Letter- The Box Tops and Peter Tosh

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boxla, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

I absolutely love this song. Love the original but I think I like Peter Tosh's version even better

2. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

For me, you can't beat Joe Cocker's version.

Wally, Greggorios, schmee and 5 others like this.
  3. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

This is better:

McGlamRock, Greggorios and Boxla like this.
  4. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Joe Cocker version, with the horns is awesome.

5. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

I find Peter Tosh's version so full of Reggae clichés I couldn't finish listening to it.
    I like some of Tosh's stuff, don't get me wrong. But not this. It's obvious someone was just looking to make some fast money off of a song that had already been a hit. Probably his producer or manager.
    The original by The Box Tops was great for 2 reasons, it was a good song and it was original sounding for the time. People liked the words and the music. Too bad they didn't keep going.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Cocker!

Wally, Greggorios and Boxla like this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They tried.

I really think Alex's Box Top buddies were just no match at all, for his talent. Eventually their limitations became evident. I can't tell you how massive my expectations for this band were, when this hit was released. There were more hits - I bought everything - but The Show was not ready for The Road if you know what I mean.

The crying shame about Big Star was, those four really could deliver the mail. But by then, the marketplace had moved on. Once again, no thanks to people like Don Kirschner.

8. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Love the original version. Check out the live version performed by the Boxtops at The Bitter End.

I remember listening to the Cars Candy-O album, figuring out "The Dangerous Type" and realizing that I was basically playing "The Letter."

Greggorios likes this.
  9. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I saw the Box Tops in 68-69 and they were flat out excellent.

boris bubbanov and Greggorios like this.
  10. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

+1, particularly the Mad Dogs And Englishman version with Chris Stainton and Co. These guys ain't too shabby either !

schmee and Boxla like this.
  11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Joe Cocker..Mad Dogs and Englishmen.....what a group and an album. Leon Russell put that group together. The album was recorded two weeks later in a high school auditorium in Phoenix, AZ..iirc. It is one of those ‘must have’ rock albums, imho.

12. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

every one of these is fantastic-still love my Tosh version. Probably because I love the original so much and sticks very close to it. And yes, it would have been a producer just throwing that song at him to try and makes some money which they rarely did. I love Tedeschi and Derek and that version rocks. But it brings up an age old question for me. So often, the original artist nailed the melody and it can't get any better. They are taking the melody and putting it through a meat grinder. It's not bad by any means in fact it's great but I don't think they do the song any favors by messing with the melody that much. I hear so many people doing that to Bob Marley songs and their "version" of the melody never matches the original. Sometimes just stick with the original melody and make it your own in other ways. But at the same time, it's music, it's good music and my thoughts and points are meaningless.

13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Reggae-ing some stuff is fun for sure. When we used to do Brown Eyed Girl years ago and it was requested all the time, I finally got so tired of it I started doing it reggae style. It worked very well with that song.

Boxla likes this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

funny how perception works. From what I hear, I'd say the Tosh version strays farthest from the original - in melody and certainly in structure, etc. It's the kind of thing I might have to hear more than few times to pick up on what's going on. At times, the background harmonies are sort of like 40's radio pop; that's not a vibe you hear in the original. I also think some of the underlying chord arrangement sticks more with minor tones and pulls back from using the major V resolution as much as the original; take a listen at 0:44 in your Peter Tosh vid.

The Joe Cocker version does add to the arrangement with the horns and that's pretty much the platform that Tedeschi/Trucks works from, but neither Mr. Cocker nor Ms. Tedeschi stray that far from that actually melody - it seems to me they're both just throwing in some runs and color notes, but you can still hear the melody from the original.

but my 2 cents will buy more or less the same stuff as your 2 cents, no? Interesting comparisons, either way.

Boxla likes this.
  15. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister

Love this song and think the Box Tops version is still the best. Perfect AM single. Not a Joe Cocker fan but I do like the brief horn solo section on his version.

Boxla likes this.
  16. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

I've been an Al Green fan since he started recording in the late 1960s. If you like the way Al grooves, you'll like this.
    He is The Soul Man:

I recently found out about Eva Cassidy and have been checking out her work, which is outstanding. She died in her early 30s due to melanoma.
    What a loss to the music world:

pixeljammer and Boxla like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.