The Late, great Ginger Baker once said that the most important thing a musician should have is TIME.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    He also said that that was the reason why he and Jack Bruce were such a powerful rhythm section even though they never got along as people. Their sense of time was so perfectly synced. Heck, it was also the reason why he approached Eric Clapton to form Cream with in the first place because Clapton had time in his way of playing.

So I figure it to be fun to post clips of musicians who have that sense of time.

Here's Joe Pass and Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, note how airtight the groove is between them, when Pedersen does a solo, Pass keeps the groove going by adding chord jabs. There's way more going on than just shredding for putting in as much notes as possible.

Now a band like The Foo Fighters aren't really the first that come to mind when you think of a band with technically proficient players, there are no songs of theirs which make people go "WHOA!" But make no mistake Dave Grohl DOES have time in his playing, he still is a drummer. But it was when they brought in Joe Walsh to guest on their song "Outside" that they got a lesson into what Time really is.

Note Taylor Hawkins just freaking out as Joe puts down the solo.

Squittolo, stinkey, jonnyfez and 7 others like this.
  2. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Time and patience. The song rolls on in its own time. Don't be too quick to get there before you're supposed to.

Rocky058 and telestratosonic like this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

So deep in the pocket, they probably didn't come out for days.

stantheman, Nahtabot and Cali Dude like this.
  4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure Ginger baker's life indicates that you need more than good time.

5. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jack DeJohnette and Dave Holland.

6. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

Ginger Baker said a lot of things, usually inflammatory and prone to hyperbole, and that he wasn't a rock drummer, but a jazz drummer, as if the music that made him wealthy was illegitimate.

His pocket was adequate, certainly nowhere near approaching Bonham's, Mitch Mitchell's or even Bill Ward's.

That said, what he laid down down on the Blind Faith record was light years ahead of anything he did with Cream. His tone is better, his playing has more musicality, and his pocket is deeper.

7. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

When someone say I rushed something I dont even question it anymore. Time is still something I fight with even though its so much better. We recently started performing the who real me. That song has a built in pocket that as snuggly and comfortable as being a baby kangaroo in their mothers pouch. It is just pure groove. We recently recorded it and the most amazing thing was the bass players entwistle fake was just incredible. He wants it for his personal best of demo tape. Now we need to learn the actual song structure and all.

8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I did a couple of sessions at Atlantic Studios, NY with Corky Laing on drums, Felix Pappalardi on bass and producing. Felix told me I had perfect time which was the biggest compliment of my musical career.

Felix also produced the YoungBloods huge hit way back as well as the first two Cream albums plus he wrote "Strange Brew" with his wife, created Mountain with Leslie West and produced other bands.

Corky was my drummer (or maybe I was his guitar player) for approx 6 years in Montreal before Mountain. He was asked to join Felix & Leslie a couple of years after I broke-up our sock-hop, party band.

Time was job #1 with Felix...there was no jamming, everything was well arranged and planned, ready to cut in 3 or 4 takes, all parts worked-out in advance. Fortunately we had a groove at a young age.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Oh yeah... it's like they shared one mind when they played.

10. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I got mine! ;)

11. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

stinkey likes this.
  12. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

The musicians with the best time I’m aware of

in no order

Sam Bush

mike stern

ringo Starr

Leo nonecetti

Prince

J D Crowe.

victor wooten.

there are others.

FenderBenderNY likes this.
  13. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I did the sessions for my metal band Slavantas only release "Stand your ground" our producer at the time made me play along with a click track but was blown away by how rock solid and yet grooving my rhythm playing was. He told me "Man your time is just impeccable, you rival Randy Rhoads, seriously."

I saw Slavantas last year in their new line up (I was asked to rejoin that band but after being reminded on why that band folded: the Leadsinger's BS, I decided not to.) And the tightness of the band simply wasn't there, I looked at what my replacement was doing and actually wanted to snatch that guitar from him.

Cringe worthy to hear those songs of which I had been such a big part of in their creation and resulting sound, not being done justice.

Not as cool as your story but at least we both were told that we have perfect time.

archetype and Bartholomew3 like this.
  14. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

100% agree. The difference between good and really good is almost always timing.

archetype, kLyon and drmordo like this.
  15. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

To me, the difference between a good player and a great player is their time.

Guys like Dexter Gordon and Charlie Parker have such a powerful sense of time it's amazing to me.

That said, the "pocket" is a different thing. "Time" is how consistently a player feels the pulse of the beat, whereas the "pocket" is where they play on the beat.

Ginger's playing is pretty outstanding on these lesser known tracks IMO:

kLyon likes this.
  16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Time is the most important thing for every musician.

Lawdawg and 41144 like this.
  17. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Whatsthesecretofagoodjoketiming

teletimetx, kLyon and FenderBenderNY like this.
  18. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

This is one of my 'go to' examples for groove and time....everytime I watch this clip I can't help but wonder if Stevie was wishing this was his band....they are absolute mofos...

19. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I have never seen that clip, but I have a whole new regard for Omar Hakim. Amazing stuff.

If that had been SRV's band, I'd still be listening to him today!

boneyguy likes this.
  20. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, no matter how good your time is ...

It eventually ends...

boneyguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.