The Last Movie Star. I, too, miss Burt Reynolds

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
First, this is not a review. I've been watching a bunch of movies lately while it's too hot to do much else.

I had wanted to see The Last Movie Star for a long time, and I recently rented it.

I thought it was very well done, classic Burt Reynolds (who learned early on not to take himself too seriously, and thus found his niche) and the supporting cast was great too. Ariel Winter (Alex from Modern Family) was perfectly cast in her role, and she gushed in interviews about getting to work with Burt in his last role..... As well she should have.

Anybody seen this, and care to join in?

And again, RIP Bandit. 😞

Last edited:

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Gator
1657740146185.jpeg

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have Prime and have watched Hustle and Starting Over this year so far. And I can watch Smokey and the Bandit anytime.

Funny you should post this today. Just last night I was reading about Myrna Loy on IMDB.com. She had this to say about Burt:
“It's the man's tremendous wit that just keeps coming across. Listen, there is no acting style. Most people just play themselves. Spencer Tracy used to say to me after a scene, "Did I ham that one up?" If I said yes, he'd say, "Okay, let's do it again". There's that same honesty in Burt Reynolds. He's a throwback to the old school.”

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
I have Prime and have watched Hustle and Starting Over this year so far. And I can watch Smokey and the Bandit anytime.

Funny you should post this today. Just last night I was reading about Myrna Loy on IMDB.com. She had this to say about Burt:
“It's the man's tremendous wit that just keeps coming across. Listen, there is no acting style. Most people just play themselves. Spencer Tracy used to say to me after a scene, "Did I ham that one up?" If I said yes, he'd say, "Okay, let's do it again". There's that same honesty in Burt Reynolds. He's a throwback to the old school.”
Interesting that Myrna brought up Spencer Tracy. Burt was a contract player at Universal in the late 1950s, when Spencer Tracy was filming Inherit the Wind. Burt idolized Tracy and took every advantage to be on the set to watch him at work. Tracy noticed him, and one day between takes, he walked up to Burt and said, "Young man, they tell me you want to be an actor."

Burt said, "Yes sir, more than anything."

Tracy nodded and said, "Well, don't ever let them catch you at it", and walked away.

Burt said it was the best advice he ever got.

Burt was eventually fired by Universal, along with another young actor named Clint Eastwood. They were called into an executive's office. He told them they were being let go. Pointing at Burt, he said, "You can't act." Pointing at Clint, he said, "Your adam's apple is too big."

As they were leaving the lot, Burt said to Clint, "Well, too bad for you."

Clint said, "What are you talking about? We both got fired."

Burt said, "I can learn to act...what the hell are you going to do about your adam's apple?"