The Kingma Del Rey Project

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've used a couple male and female crimp terminals from the auto parts store on my wiring on the last couple guitars. It works nicely for swapping and removal.

Jake D

Tele-Holic
I put some GFS lipstick tubes in a sea foam green Jimmie Vaughan strat once. Can somebody remind me why the hell I sold that guitar?

jkingma

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool beans John! Looking forward to seeing how you do the 'German carve' edge treatment.

Well this is what I've got... not exact, but looks pretty good to me.

delrey071_zpsbff690fe.jpg~original

delrey075_zps9a00ef29.jpg~original

delrey074_zpsfd29f37d.jpg~original

On the back I just did a big radius round-over.

delrey072_zps9801b4b0.jpg~original

jkingma

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are a couple loaded pickguards. The protective plastic is still on so they look a little rough at this point.

The first one has 4 lipstick tube pickups, an on/off rocker switch for each pickup, a master volume and a master tone.

delrey080_zps596e5cd0.jpg~original

This one has 3 mini humbuckers with a 6 way toggle switch, a master volume and a master tone.

delrey079_zpsffbfa364.jpg~original

R. Stratenstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Nice. I like how the edge carve feathers into the forearm relief. Nice touch. I wonder how many more really cool loaded pick guard combos can be realized. It also occurs to me that some kind of lift mechanism--kinda Bigsby-like, maybe, to lift up the strings--fully tuned--so you can slip different pick guards in and out would be cool. Or not . . .

Barncaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Nice. I like how the edge carve feathers into the forearm relief. Nice touch. I wonder how many more really cool loaded pick guard combos can be realized. It also occurs to me that some kind of lift mechanism--kinda Bigsby-like, maybe, to lift up the strings--fully tuned--so you can slip different pick guards in and out would be cool. Or not . . .

Hey Rick,

Gibson style stop bars make pup changes easy. But then again so does slackening the strings and popping the neck off. I'm totally digging the rocker switches! Way cool. With a little work John, you could invert the magnetic polarity on half the pups and wire the sets in series for a HUGE humbucker sound. That would be cool. Rob

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I really like the way that the two PG/harnesses totally transform the character of the guitar, beyond simply changing the pickups. :D It would be a lot of fun to see what all different transformations you could come up with. Maybe you could get a Mosrite/Johnny Ramone thing going, too!

03725-07965.jpg

R. Stratenstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hey Rick,

Gibson style stop bars make pup changes easy. But then again so does slackening the strings and popping the neck off. I'm totally digging the rocker switches! Way cool. With a little work John, you could invert the magnetic polarity on half the pups and wire the sets in series for a HUGE humbucker sound. That would be cool. Rob

Work with me here, Rob. I'm talkin' 15-second soul change. Yank one lever, push a latch button, unplug a harness (or maybe not even that), pop the old pickguard configuration out, slide the new one in, flip the lever, and start playing. Do it mid-song. Still in tune. Have you ever looked at the gadgetry that makes a pedal steel guitar work? If they can do that, and stay in tune, what I'm talking about should be small potato(e) s.

BTW, what would stop you from putting pivot pins on the ends of lippers, and mounting them so they could be rolled over, thusly inverting the magnetic polarity at will on which ever pickups you want to. Series/parallel switches so you could choose.

tubeswell

Friend of Leo's
I've seen a few nice Teisco Del Ray restorations from Jeff Senn. He does this thing where he wax pots the old Teisco p'ups and they come out sounding sweet