1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The king of the low hill

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by KnopflerStyle, Dec 31, 2013.

1. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Hi guys!!! I have moved to a new appartment so i cant keep my old big boy with me. I will move it to my dad house, so i will use it only for big gigs...

Actually i am needing a small amp to play at home, nothing too big or too loud.

I have searched in youtube and forums but i cant decide where i could find the king of the king.

Vox AC4TV , Fender Champion 600, Fender Super Champ, Vox AC4 blue, Fender Mustang I

I only play country, so i need a good clean tone, something that works fine with my compressor.

So i am thinking... who is the king of the low volume world?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

SF champ is might nice..

3. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

The Vox AC4TV has my attention for a small practice amp. The YouTube videos sound pretty good. FYI, I have no personal experience with any of these amps listed above.

4. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

What make and model is your big amp? If you're a gigging player I always find it best to find a small amp that approximates the tone and style of your bigger amp. It lets you keep pedal and guitar settings the same and anything you work out during home practice is going to translate pretty easily to the stage.

In my case, my big amp is a Fender Super Reverb SF 70watt head. Smaller one is a Blues Junior that can run on its internal speaker (at home) or through the same 2X10 extension cab as the SR (during band rehearsal). I only bring out the SR head for gigs. I also have a Fender/ "Super Reverb" patch set up on AmpliTube for quick demos and nighttime practising in headphones.

With Vox for example, you could alternate a small AC4TV/ big AC30. Marshall Class 5 instead of a JCM, etc...

Fender Mustangs have the advantage of emulating a lot of bigger Fender amp sounds and has a convenient headphone jack/ USB option. Mine broke down after just a year but others seem to really like them.

Good luck in your search.

5. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Roland Cube.

6. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

Vht special 6 combo has got great and sparkling clean tone and it' so cheap.
    Put good tubes in it and you will just love it.
    The vox is really beautifull (I just love the small head), but it seems to me that it is made for getting crunch and dirty sound at low volume (the opposite of what you need).

7. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Love my AC4 TV but I don't think you'd be happy with it for clean country as it comes out of the box. I kind of use mine as my overdrive pedal and run two amps.

8. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

if you get a modeling amp, give consideration to the mustang 3. its big sure.. 100 watt, 1x12", but the sound is consistent at all volumes. its so much nicer to work with than the m1 or 2.. or any other modeling amp i've tinkered with. this thing converted me over from old tech amps.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

get the mustang II, it was good enough for jaclyn smith and farrah fawcett!

[​IMG]

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Getbent man you always crack me up !

I was going to say even small tube amps like a Champ or Princeton get loud. Other night I had a Princeton Reverb at about 1.75 in the basement when I got done and came upstairs my girlfriend said I was playing "kind'a loud".

So I went back down and cranked a 1987 Marshall to ten and yelled. "HOW DO LIKE THIS ***** ! "

(No I didn't do that she's a great gal and not a ***** otherwise I'd be long gone)

11. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

yes it was !
    [​IMG]

12. KnopflerStyle

Yeah... i am agree with the VOX AC4, what a pity. Beautifull amp, 4 watts is enough for my house... Maybe the Champion 600 or the vibrochamp xd?

13. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Yamaha THR10

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Pick you up a old Champ 12 for <$300.
    [​IMG]
    Clean chan is great, drop a CRex speaker in it, takes pedals great and sounds good even at low volume. Single 6L6 power section. Totally capable doing small gigs with the speaker upgrade, those CRex are loud and a country players delight.

15. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Mustang I will give you a variety of Fender amp models that are incredibly good. Fender does Fender the best....make sense, right? Country music is synonymous with Fender and always has been and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Since we're talking apartment, the Mustang would be my choice.

16. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got an Ampeg GVT5-110 for Christmas, and I love it. It's 5 Watts, and in half power mode you can dime the volume and it's not too loud. What I like about it is that it's clean, really clean. Definitely worth considering.

17. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

+1

18. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If clean tones are all you're after, even a Twin Reverb will work at apartment volume levels. Just turn the volume knob down! If you want to add a little bit of "oomph" to it, an overdrive pedal with the gain turned down will work wonders.

19. KnopflerStyle

The twin is bigger than a Ford Fairline...

20. KnopflerStyle

Well i think i have founded the perfect amp to me...

Small
    Valve tone
    +/- in price

And the winner seems to be the Blackstar HT1R.... any feedback? I think it do the job...

check this review... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enaYgJesWeM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.