The kid who keeps surprising you - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Sep 5, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I was blown away last night when one of my twins did his first real bike race. He was hesitant. Other sports, activities and groups haven't worked out but he's been with a NICA scholastic MTB league.

Did he do the beginner race first time? The intermediate race? No, he went for expert/adult. He hung with the experienced leaders and was sending it on the jump line. Visualize experienced racers in spandex kit with high end bikes going around the jump line while some were sending the jumps lap after lap.

I have a feeling the rest of the race series or season will be on our calendar.

[​IMG]

SparkleFart, stevemc, zammie and 17 others like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Around last Christmastime I stopped in to visit my oldest son at his apartment. I saw a brand new pair of work boots there. I said nice boots! When did you get em?

He'd bought them to donate to the empty stocking club at his church

3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

What a great photo! I also have a kid who doesn’t do great with most sports. I hope he can find his niche like your little dude has.

4. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    My son, who hadn't biked since a kid, took up MTBing last year, cool with me, I did it for decades......couple of months back he Supermanned it off a jump and broke his collarbone in two places.....he's recovering well....told him he should've relearned how to ride on pavement before riding like a big boy….LOL...he's 23, fwiw. He will be back on the bike, of course, but he needs a second surgery. Kudos to your kid, it's a great, fun sport.

stevemc, Greggorios and imwjl like this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Nice...

Welcome to your new career as travel agent, chauffeur, sponsor and chief cheerleader. :)

Bassman8, Greggorios and hemingway like this.
  6. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Cycling is a great sport! Very impressive that he hung in an expert class race on his first go! Experts are fit and fast!

Mike Eskimo and imwjl like this.
  7. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Yseterday my 12 yo girl said "Dad, look what I learned! I dunno how I could learn it but I did".

In the kitchen she starts leaning back in a Limbo position. She's good at that, she's won a number of Limbo competitions. Now she continues back down until her scapulas are on the floor, then she slowly slides back, lying on the floor, until her legs are straight again.

"Wow, that's cool!" I said.

Then she, with her feet, starts pulling herself towards the feet, bends her legs and pulls herself back up into standing. Without using her hands or arms... That's just crazy!

stevemc, Greggorios and imwjl like this.
  8. imwjl

It was a 30 minute short track race so he started losing that 4th - 5th in around 25 at 15 - 20 minutes but he didn't totally bonk. He can't just sit at a computer or hobbies all day long so it will be interesting to see if he swaps doing wheelies and jumps time with building fitness.

I'm glad he finished it figuring he'd be bummed if he totally bonked following riders we know spend a lot of time at being strong. With luck he'll figure out what he could do if he combines some obvious natural talent with fitness.

LKB3rd and Greggorios like this.
  9. imwjl

Look for a NICA team hear you.

I just found this and was surprised to see people I know. Two coaches here practice where I build and manage trails. The coach at 4:29 is the one who somehow connected with my kid when others have not. Racing has never been my thing but they are doing magic with kids. They've got the future pros, autistic, special education and gender issue kids all in respectful and loving group unlike the other team sports my kids have been in.

Two here also started an adventure track within the program. That's achieving a challenging ride vs conventional race. Our first just happened and I think it was part of kids sticking with it and trying a first race.

Two of the coaches here have also done adopt a trail to not just care for the infrastructure but have a great space for the kids who want to make stuff and who like tools and machines.

The family who owns and runs Trek have put personal $ millions into this for obvious not not so obvious reasons. They are great people outside of their modern American success story. They believe in better people and better places as much as being the best bike company.

That one of my 3 kids is into it is an unexpected surprise. Racing and crowds have never been my thing but as a digger, trail steward and ski area director I'm now blown away by seeing the families getting into it. We have a minor revolution around here of families and others getting into it. It has been good medicine and finding a place for people.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

That’s very cool.

He can’t go back now !

If he sticks with expert/adult, their pace will pull him forward . It’s like the electric rabbit at a dog track.

Your body says “I’m done” but your brain says “I’m gonna catch that guy”...

I’m not at all a fan of riding MTB myself but I love to watch skilled riders do it .

Congrats to your son. Cycling is badass and can change your life/your mind.

imwjl and Greggorios like this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great post. Nice to see a young person "finding their grove". BTW, VERY nice photo, compliments to the photographer. :)

imwjl likes this.
  12. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

There's no shame in going to Cat2 intermediate if the experts thrash him into discouragement :p I bet many if not all of them were cat3/beginner, then cat2 before hitting the experts.
    He might be young enough to just build fitness on his MTB, but I'd prepare for him to want a road bike (which is a great fun sport too) if he starts getting serious about fitness on the bike.
    I ride mostly on my road bike, and the fitness I have from that makes MTB a lot more fun, and I am a lot faster in the Cat2 MTB races I occasionally do, from it. My MTB riding mostly is just getting out in the woods and having fun... which in racing speak is "skills practice" :p

Mike Eskimo and imwjl like this.
  13. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

He was a walk-on entry. He was 8, first and second were 10 year olds in running clubs.

20161102_083145.jpg
    20161030_091659.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    SparkleFart, LKB3rd, stevemc and 2 others like this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife and I really wanted our kids to excel, so we taught them how to use the washer and dryer, and in the kitchen how to wash dishes and tidy the counters. They're also improving in their bathroom cleaning skills.

Priorities.

15. imwjl

That's us. We still have a lot of room for improvement but I have few complaints when I see what's out there. Some thought we were crazy for the way we encouraged making meals or allowed kitchen use at an early age.

Who knows where my kid will go with it. I was happy to see his idea didn't end up sad. This came out of our rule that you can't spend your days at a screen, in your bedroom, the basement or the garage. He's not going to get a machine shop in our basement, a real live Cessna or Piper aircraft nor build a large sailboat at age 15.

In reality we're sort of low expectations and toward the hands off spectrum in parenting. I don't mean irresponsible but we lay out basic choices and we try to be consistent.

My soft spot in working with kids has been putting my effort in the infrastructure part of it or supporting the kids who struggle. I'm not a coach or crowds type.

:)

stevemc likes this.
  16. Mikemarble

Mikemarble TDPRI Member

Pretty impressive

17. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I have a house with some cleared land - the immediate back yard nearly 1 acre. I have 3 boys that need an outlet.

I'm planning (this Christmas) to buy them some bikes and build a few packed dirt ramps around the yard. Maybe a few flags to mark out a course. There is a slight grade, but nothing serious. If they are anything like I was growing up, they will love it - and I'll be able to keep an eye on them from the house (elementary/middle school age). It should seriously help their fitness/boredom levels :)

If they really use it, I might expand the course to an adjacent wooded lot over the summer. They keep asking me to take them on a local bike trail - but our bikes aren't worthy - in part because I don't have good storage for them (no garage). An outside storage shed will be part of the project this Christmas.

LKB3rd, imwjl and stevemc like this.
  18. imwjl

Good luck. You don't need high end features but you should get the kids quality that will hold up. At this point the organization I'm in has started many hundreds of kids on bikes across a ride range of demographics. A decent quality bike, a lock, helmet and guiding them to care for it and be safe has been tremendous for them. Best wishes!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.