The joys of reading and escape..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Jun 23, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I think it was @black_doug who posted a "what are you reading" thread a few days ago.
    I had two books I recently purchased just perched on the coffee table, waiting to be read. I was just being lazy.
    Now I'm almost finished the first and will begin the second tomorrow.
    TDPRI is the last of the social media sites that I still visit but lately I've been less interested. My list of "ignored members" has blossomed into a small army.
    Reading and playing guitar when I'm not entertaining my granddaughters takes precedent over discussions of saddle or pickup replacements; which guitarists you love or hate; whether a partscaster is better than a Custom Shop; why the Beatles rule/suck, etc. Then there are the couched comments revealing the subtle but unmistakable "shots".
    It's time to take a break. See you on the flip side.

black_doug, Stubee, Obsessed and 5 others like this.
  2. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Frodebro and Dan German like this.
  3. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

But what if I put Fender pickups in a Squier? How can it not sound the same as a Fender?

4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you’re burnt, Frijoles. Please ignore this if you have me on ignore;).

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Well, I can still read this thread, so I must be on your short list of good tdpri buddies.

Enjoy the break.

I know that I always benefit from a push-away from the table every now and then.

;)

Toadtele likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Reading a book is a good thing. Be sure to include some nonfiction on your reading list. No one ever did better knowing less. Enjoy your break. Enjoy the freedom.

RobRiggs likes this.
  7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

No idea if you'll see this (oh, the suspense of not knowing*).

I'm jealous you're getting time to read. I've been so busy lately that I have several books where I've been stuck about mid-way though for ages (I tend to read one novel and one or two nonfiction works at the same time, alternating between them).

Anyway, good luck with the reading, and everything else.

Pax/
    Dean
    * not to mention the worry now that I might be perceived as just having taken a shot - I wasn't

8. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

I recommend Albert Camus's "The Stranger".

No, seriously. Its good...really.

black_doug, Stubee and Archtops like this.
  9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I love reading.

i think i use reading as my form of escape from the real world. This is why i think I love reading Epic Fantasies. With new worlds, and characters and all sorts of different things. Fill my mind with all the imagination I need. Then come back to the real world and find it dull.

good thing is, i think my real world is better. I now have a bub, a loving wife, my beagle and my guitars, amps and pedals. But still, id like to be able to escape from time to time. Lol

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  10. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

The movie was good!

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

A break from almost anything is good for the soul. Enjoy life, but I’ll miss your posts while you are away.

12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Reading a good book is my favorite thing that doesn’t involve the outdoors; I’ve been hooked for more than 60 years. I don’t consider TDPRI to be “social media”, but I visit my few favorite sites as my interest waxes or wanes, so I encounter no need to block or ignore posts. I just zip past them.

Nevertheless I can understand a desire to turn off or turn on to something else, and grandkids are a luxury some never experience. Have fun!

Archtops likes this.
  13. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

I'd also recommend "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson. Its an absolutely crazy tale where page after page is pure fantasy...and then you stumble into a paragraph that so amazingly describes human nature that you find yourself stopping and asking "Wait, wait, WAIT...what was that I just read?".

And then you continue on for another dozen pages of absolute craziness before the author does it to you *again*.

A word of caution: The movie version SUCKS. I mean it seriously SUCKS. Do NOT watch this tripe and convince yourself you know anything about this book. Hunter's gift was the ability to appeal to your imagination. The moment some film company says they can convert your imagination to film is the moment you should simply cash their check and walk away, which is basically what he did.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Archtops likes this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Mark Twain fixes everything.

upload_2021-6-23_23-30-52.png

Blackmore Fan and dogmeat like this.
  15. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

anything.... everything Twain. none better

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.