The 'joys' of dumb neighbors...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, Jun 12, 2021.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We've lived in our house for 18 years, and the neighbors we had when we bought the house have moved on. While we live in a quiet neighborhood, the neighbors we have now have been known to do some kinda dumb things. A little history...

Our newest neighbors move in next door about a year and a half ago. The former owner listed the house and moved to somewhere in the Carolinas, and the house fell into disrepair. The house had an above ground pool that the neighbor dug about a foot into the ground, and when she moved she didn't even bother to drain it. Needless to say, it became a breeding spot for mosquitoes. When the new buyer moved in, one of the first things they did was take the pool down. We thought it was a good move.

They have a lot of trees in their yard, and a couple of them were growing over the fence and over our roof. Earlier this spring they had a guy come in and cut the trees back. Good move, we thought, although we never actually saw anyone taking away the branches...

Flash forward to about two hours ago...

My wife and I were downstairs in the den watching TV when we heard a loud 'whoomp' sound, like you hear when someone sets off large fireworks. I went out the front door and looked around but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. We went back to watching TV.

About an hour later, my wife went upstairs and yelled down the stairs for me to come up. I looked out the front window and there were 3 fire trucks, cops, chief's cars. We went outside and asked the chief what had happened.

It turns out the new neighbor had taken all those tree limbs that they cut down and threw them into the pit where the pool used to be and then doused them with gasoline and set them on fire. That's where the 'whoomp' came from. They nearly set their house and the remaining trees in their yard on fire. And about 5 feet of the plastic privacy slats in our cyclone fence were melted.

And now they're in trouble with the town because there's an ordinance against open burns.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

- D

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

Stubee, Obsessed, Fendereedo and 4 others like this.
  3. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    My brother used to have bonfires (he lives in the country) made from various woods (pallets, branches and twigs...yeah, "oh my"...). Since the nearest neighbor is closer than the one 1/4 mile away, previously, the ordinances are followed more closely...as he found out a few years ago after a closer neighbor had called the fire department and said fire truck came out with the fire marshal...he's curtailed his yearly festivities...

Fendereedo and crazydave911 like this.
  4. wangdaning

wangdaning Tele-Meister

Well, at least no one got hurt I guess. It would have probably been fine if they had burned it in batches and not used gasoline.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Was he/she drunken or ...

Fendereedo and crazydave911 like this.
  6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Diesel is a much better fire starter. Safer, no whoomp.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe they were getting rid of the body...:eek::D

Dan German, crazydave911 and teleman1 like this.
  8. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

Dumb is good. You need only watch from a safe distance. It's the ones who get smart you should worry about.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Man people don't understand gasoline. Movies don't help. I explain to my wife, that must be kerosene cause gas don't light up like that. IT EXPLODES!. People don't get it. I freak when I see imbeciles at the gas pump smoking. My lesson was taught to me by my older cousin. For entertainment, we put gas into a soda bottle cap from glass bottle days. That lil experiment gave you an accurate picture. Just the bottle cap explosion was volatile beyond your conception. In fact, we were camping when we did this we used gas to start the fire, just a few drops. It just explodes, that's all it knows.

StrangerNY and crazydave911 like this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, it goes Whoooomppp!!!,,, :lol:

StrangerNY and crazydave911 like this.
  11. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

The neighbors kids were scary dumb. They're grown now somehow, like most of us made it to adulthood. The family must be major stockholders in ammunition and fireworks companies.

We are pretty rural and they are up beyond and old logging road. Had to yell at the kids when they were 10-12 yrs old.
    They were running through the woods with 22s shooting squirrels; I could hear bullets zinging through leaves where I was working on the caro_O

Bet we had they fire dept out here 1/2 doz times. One of the craziest times was when their burn barrel caught a shed on fire, paint cans, gas cans it was pretty wild. Canopy of a tree above the shed caught:eek:
    Lesson, don't sent 15 yr old pyro out to burn the trash~

StrangerNY likes this.
  12. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

StrangerNY and That Cal Webway like this.
  13. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

#Iam!DumbNeighbor!

getbent likes this.
  14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My neighbor(s) live in an apartment building next door. When lockdown hit, they decided to party outside until 1 AM six nights per week, disregarding that their neighbor may be classified as a first responder (I am) and still has to go to a job. It's been about 15 months of this now, and I am wishing for the eviction moratorium to expire, as I know their landlord, who is waiting for the same.

lammie200, LocoTex and Telekarster like this.
  15. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Whoomp!! There it is!!

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There it WAS.

17. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Its the fumes that get ya!

My former room mate built a tight pile of branches that was about a cubic yard.

He poured about a quart of gasoline on top and went inside for a light.

He came out a few minutes later and laid a burning paper towel on top and turned to walk away.

He got about 3 steps when the pile exploded!

It knocked him down and blew out the windows in about 6 houses that were in the reverse cul-de-sac where we lived.

Another friend did the same thing, and when he got back with some fire, the fumes had spread out in a 50' diameter circle.

It went up with him right in the middle of it!

He was badly burned and took over a year to recover.

You don't even want to know what happens at a junk yard when a gas tank with a teaspoon of gas left in it gets touched off!

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's the problem with a neighborhood, all those neighbors! Around here, all summer long, you can't open a window any time if the day without hearing at least one lawn mower droning on and on and on. And what's up with people and their leaf blowers? Could they get any louder? Jeez, a rake does the same thing and is just about silent.

There, I feel better, thanks.

dougstrum, SRHmusic and P Thought like this.
  19. StrangerNY

I can see their back yard from our back window. What a mess, half burned logs scattered all over the place.

The fire department pulled the pile of branches apart, and it's everywhere over there.

- D

20. StrangerNY

I don't mind their lawn mower or much else.

A gasoline fire? Yeah, I got a problem with that. You'd have to be an idiot to not have a problem with it if you ask me.

- D

Blue Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.