The Jensen "F" series, short review.

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
Got a pair of these a few weeks back in the 10 inch variety plus bells to get a more blues box feel out of an amp I have.

They sound damn good, no excessive bite/cut while having a lot of that chime and feel of a proper old set yet not scared to push them a bit, even fairly warm when getting some grind out of the amp. Goes without saying but the trick new or old with these for me has always been to run the amp half way up yet never hit full volume on the guitar knob. Whereas, unlike what I'd do with a Twin, running the amp low with guitar volume on full can get a bit thin sounding with any light magnet alnicos like you find in 50s amps or their clones.

In terms of newer builds similar to these speakers (Jensen & not) I've had a few different experiences, mostly they're either very bright with an unpleasant cut (so are some old ones) or others trending a bit too warm/dark. These are right where they belong in the tone-o-sphere if you're looking for that 50s thing.

Would purchase again, 10/10.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
There's a story behind the F speakers and I disremember it. What's the deal with these? What's different? Who requested or ordered them to start with?

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
There's a story behind the F speakers and I disremember it. What's the deal with these? What's different? Who requested or ordered them to start with?

I read a blurb before I bought them about being a request from Fender for more updated reissue amps and some reviews about them being a bit warmer out of the box but beyond that I have no clue of their origin.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I read a blurb before I bought them about being a request from Fender for more updated reissue amps and some reviews about them being a bit warmer out of the box but beyond that I have no clue of their origin.

That sounds like what I read somewhere. Thanks.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
I can't find any evidence of an "F-series" on Jensen's site. Just for clarification and accuracy, are we talking about the P10R-F?
It´s here - but they seem to call it P10R-Fen instead of P10R-F...

cheers - 68.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
P10R-F has the cone made of pulp and not pressed as tight as the seamed paper on P10R and many other seamed cone speakers have. Dust dome is larger and non treated cloth against small felt on P10R. This make Mowing mass is 18% higher.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My understanding is the F series have the paper voice coil former like the original P10R's did. Like the popular Emi GA SC 64 types that have that also. As such, they are a bit more fragile but got "da tonz". ?

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
My understanding is the F series have the paper voice coil former like the original P10R's did. Like the popular Emi GA SC 64 types that have that also. As such, they are a bit more fragile but got "da tonz". ?
Jensentone-pages publish most data of instrument loudspeakers and there reads it is Kapton former.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
I read some information stating it had a specific cone modelled on old ones.