The Jam's ALL MOD CONS Released 40 Years Ago Today!

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Got in The Jam in 1980, saw them on the US TV show "Fridays" and was hooked for life. They played "Start" and "Private Hell"... a few years later I bought a Ric 360 and a '65 AC-30.

Never saw them live, but I did get to see Paul solo a few years back at The Royale in Boston on the Sonic Kicks tour. Bucket List show for sure.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Sorry guys... my internet freaked as I was posting... mod: please delete dupes.

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Am i allowed to say the 80's were not my favorite:)

Why, of course you are.

Am I allowed to say that Hamilton is not my favorite place in Ontario?

:^)

Some people went through the 80's, bedeviled by Michael Jackson and Helen Reddy and they never discovered all the cool stuff that was also happening. Could be there are fun places in Hamilton and I just overlooked them.

percy

Tele-Meister
Why, of course you are.

Am I allowed to say that Hamilton is not my favorite place in Ontario?

:^)

Some people went through the 80's, bedeviled by Michael Jackson and Helen Reddy and they never discovered all the cool stuff that was also happening. Could be there are fun places in Hamilton and I just overlooked them.

Imho the best thing about the 1980's were Dwight Yoakam and Steve Earle but i am a big fan of twang.

Rick330man

Tele-Afflicted
Got in The Jam in 1980, saw them on the US TV show "Fridays" and was hooked for life. They played "Start" and "Private Hell"... a few years later I bought a Ric 360 and a '65 AC-30.

Friday, July 11, 1980. That performance of "Private Hell" kicked some serious tail. My brothers and I just looked at each other kind of mesmerized. We had witnessed something not to be forgotten.

A year later I was living in Madrid. A group of college and high school age kids had this nightly summer ritual of hopping onto the Metro (subway) at around midnight, heading to the back of the train and singing "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" in their best broken English.

Paul Weller did play a telecaster on occasion back then, but he was a Rick330man for most of his performances with the Jam.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Helen Reddy? In the 80s?!?

I personally associate Reddy with the 1980s because there was a fun little venue in Kenner called "Ritchie's 3D" and they even booked a pre-bombast Simple Minds show into that place. Some decent shows there. Then, the venue owner booked Ms. Reddy in there, paid her a significant advance. Nobody showed up (and certainly not me) and the proprietor went belly up and the doors were locked. Yeah, I guess she was past her heyday, OK.

Rick330man

Tele-Afflicted
Joe Strummer of the Clash left us a few years back. Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks just passed away recently. We lost Joey Ramone a few years back.

Too much of the younger generation doesn't look into and get to appreciate the great bands of the past until they hear that some key member of one has died. There's the curiosity of checking out some tunes to see what the big deal is it is occasionally followed by an appreciation.

Enjoy the Jam while you can. Catch Weller or From the Jam. Teach your children well. Expose them to the Jam now!

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
Joe Strummer of the Clash left us a few years back. Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks just passed away recently. We lost Joey Ramone a few years back.

Too much of the younger generation doesn't look into and get to appreciate the great bands of the past until they hear that some key member of one has died. There's the curiosity of checking out some tunes to see what the big deal is it is occasionally followed by an appreciation.

Enjoy the Jam while you can. Catch Weller or From the Jam. Teach your children well. Expose them to the Jam now!

My son (17) wears my Jam T shirt from the '80s. I can't tell you how much I love it when he wears it. And I tell him, of course, that when he wears it it is automatically the coolest dude in any of his gatherings.

Rick330man

Tele-Afflicted
My son (17) wears my Jam T shirt from the '80s. I can't tell you how much I love it when he wears it. And I tell him, of course, that when he wears it it is automatically the coolest dude in any of his gatherings.

Cool Story.

When my oldest son was four (he's now 21) his pre-K teacher's assistant pulled me aside one afternoon for what appeared to be an urgent matter. She was Irish. She had overheard my four year old son singing "Girl on the Phone" by the Jam to himself. She was floored. "How does your son know the Jam! No one here in America knows the Jam." In this house, my kids heard lots of the Jam.

Good upbringing?

jadedsoul

Tele-Holic
This is a great and underappreciated band, especially in the U.S.
WELL IF you lot would not of thrown bottles and **** at them when they went over to usa getting them to walk of , supporting with the blue oyster cult. then maybe they would of carried on touring the US. And maybe would of gone back . but weller now only does quick flash shows in america now. Not the same as the jam though. lol Im messing. not your fault. but to all the long haired weed smokers that was at those gigs. you cants you ballsed it up for all the other people back in the day.. your loss i guess. The jam where the greatest band ever.

jadedsoul

Tele-Holic
Friday, July 11, 1980. That performance of "Private Hell" kicked some serious tail. My brothers and I just looked at each other kind of mesmerized. We had witnessed something not to be forgotten.

A year later I was living in Madrid. A group of college and high school age kids had this nightly summer ritual of hopping onto the Metro (subway) at around midnight, heading to the back of the train and singing "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" in their best broken English.

Paul Weller did play a telecaster on occasion back then, but he was a Rick330man for most of his performances with the Jam.

Attachments

• the-jam-ja002vt.jpg
    the-jam-ja002vt.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
weller never played a tele when in the jam. he had a personal made

Mr Weller never played a tele in the jam, he played a personal built kind of les paul special double cut . He did play a tele as a solo artist. The style council i could not say.

Sorry, I have to correct you.
Yes he did. Played a Tele with the Jam (e.g. at Bingley Hall '82) many times and after The Jam right up to now. He used one on Precious and on later recordings.
http://deepartnature.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-jam-live-at-bingley-hall-birmingham.html

The "les paul special" is in fact an Eccleshall TV made in England.
https://equipboard.com/pros/paul-weller/eccleshall-tv-model