1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Jam .... mmmm?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 41144, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Brilliant band. I think I had every album. I agree with the previous posts. Elements of Clash, Who, Kinks, and others. While the Clash infused their punk with Reggae, the Jam infused theirs with soul. Someone else said they were derivative, but I think no more so than any other band. They were unique, and very very British. But one of those bands that just never caught on the US. I guess they never broke through with a "hit". Sort of similar in a way to Graham Parker, though a different genre is also a brilliant songwriter who just never broke through.

Too many great Jam songs to list. So I will just mention one of the all-time best cover versions of any song by anybody:

Deed and Teddyjack like this.
  2. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

The Jam are great in their own right.
    Yes they are absolutely heavily influenced by the mod scene of the 60s, but as the famous quote says, good artists copy, great artists steal. Paul Weller stole elements from all those bands but added his own vim to the mix.

Deed, Tommy Biggs and Teddyjack like this.
  3. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

4. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Quite brilliant in their own right. And while Weller rightly overshadowed everything the bass and drum attack was ferocious. Those guys were amazing. And as for Weller’s “solos”, they were extensions of the anger and passion of the song, rather than “Solo goes here”. What he does in the middle of “Going Underground” is one of my all time favorites. Because it’s absolutely perfect for that moment in the song. Yeah, I think The Jam were incredible.

Deed, trancedental and Tommy Biggs like this.
  5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Great in their own right, able to blend many influences into something new and great. Holds up today. Love their cover of "David Watts".

In college, I lived with a bunch of guys from the south side of Chicago. It was the early 80s, but they were all entrenched in 60s/70s rock. One of my room mates was freaked out by the cover of "In the City". If it was on the front of our stack of records, he would cover it up with an Allman Brothers or Traffic LP.

[​IMG]

SuprHtr, Tommy Biggs and Chuckster like this.
  6. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tip:
    If you love The Jam but don't follow Weller's solo stuff, check out "Fast Car, Slow Traffic" from Weller's Wake Up The Nation album... it's the first song to feature Foxton on bass since the breakup. Very Jam-esque!

boris bubbanov and Tommy Biggs like this.
  7. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Afflicted

The Jam are still one of my favorite bands. As a teenager my first band wore suits and I played a Rickebacker 330. I was never able to see the Jam here in the states but I did see the Style Council in London in the mid-80's and later saw Weller in San Francisco about 10 years after that. Both shows were phenomenal.

boris bubbanov and Chuckster like this.
  8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

It was this live on TV performance of All Around The World on the first Marc Bolan show that changed my life. It got me off the drums into guitar, changed my look and started a band. Slashing Rickenbackers were what I was looking for!

The Jam were always my favourite band this period and saw them a few times live. I especially remember them being sensational on the All Mod Cons tour.

Amazingly, I got to spend some time with Paul Weller when one of my friends played with joined the Style Council touring band 1983-1985. I even had one of Paul's Teles on loan for a few weeks while they were away on tour. It was built for him by his tech.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  9. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

So... based on a sample size of one, you are projecting a result to the universe of Jam live shows?

10. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Dug 'em way back in the old days, and I still think PW does interesting things.

11. fasthand

fasthand TDPRI Member

Great in their own right
    Still a huge fan and listen on a regular basis

12. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I never really rated them. They weren't "too British", tons of British bands make it in the US, they were just one of those bands that never makes it as big in the US as the UK, like Oasis. Oasis in the US were popular for a bit but in the UK people still act like they were one of the greatest bands ever. Oasis to me always seemed like overproduced Beatles clones.

I didn't even hear of The Jam until the mid 90s but The Jam to me were almost a retro act and I just didn't like their music. Town Called Malice (which and Tubestation at Midnight are good songs, but most of their stuff is pretty meh IMO. Their name didn't help. "The Jam" isn't exactly inspired.

13. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I think The Jam were one of the most inspired bands of their time. To say they were derivative or retro misses the point... they took their influences and used them as a starting point to create something new that related to a contemporary audience.

For me, they were too British. The things they sung about were often so specifically British that I had no idea what a lot of the lyrics meant when i was a teenager (and a lot I couldn't make out due to the accent). You could pick up the basic idea though and imagine life there. They were kind of a window to that world for me, so it was fascinating in a way. I never really connected with it completely, but I did listen to them non-stop for about two weeks prior to my first trip to London!

14. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

The Jam were a fantastic band, a huge part of my childhood. This is one of my favourites:

Southpole likes this.
  15. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

They had that effect on people. In high school in the late '70s, I played in a band. We liked other British bands like the Sex Pistols and the Clash, but our guitar player HATED the Jam passionately. He never could quite say what it was about them that he hated, but I think he just found it cold and foreign and kind of unsettling.

41144 likes this.
  16. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Marquee Moon and Oxidao like this.
  17. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

as mentioned my band was chosen as support act on a few dates inc their final ever gig, our lead guitarist was mates with Weller right from their early days and was even on camera on Top of the Pops when they did Elton Rifles, he was one of the three in army tunics. Like your mate he bought one of Wellers guitars, one of his Rickenbackers, in fact the one on the back of the All Mod Cons record sleeve.......I am credited on that sleeve as well, it says ‘thanks to Southend kids’, that was us !

stressdoubt, Oxidao, Spox and 2 others like this.
  18. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

That's brilliant. I'm sure Weller would think so too "cold .... foreign... unsettling".... aka.... threatening / on the edge? :cool:

19. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

No. I was responding to Boris' post that the fact The Jam didn't connect in the U.S. was a failing on the part of American fans. I pointed out that the live show I saw did not live up to their recorded output, and perhaps they didn't make the greatest first impression while touring the U.S. And of course, they broke up shortly afterward, and didn't have a chance to improve on that.

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

This is essentially the way I feel about some Alt country (for want of a better description) that there’s an essence of real life documentary and observation. You may not experience that same situation precisely, but the experiences and emotions resonate.

Grateful Ape and 41144 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.