1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Jam .... mmmm?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 41144, Oct 30, 2020.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

So, watching a prog. about The Jam on Sky Arts... 1st time around caught their energy and thought them underrated cf to The Police. Really appreciate Paul Weller as a 'soloist'...
    But... The Jam as a band in retrospect:

Small Faces mkII?
    The Who wannabe's?
    The Kinks tribute band?
    Brilliant in their in own right?

2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Excellent comparisons all.

Engine Swap likes this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Brilliant in their own right IMO, great songwriting and structure.

But also stylistically highly derivative.

Mod.

Deed, KW1977, SuprHtr and 2 others like this.
  4. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

Always felt sorry for Bruce Foxton.

Weller was very image conscious and insisted on the 2 Rics look :confused:

Bruce complied only so far, his early Ric was an Ibanez. For recording, it had a split-P fitted :cool:

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Brilliant in their own right.

I think the Jam transcends these other bands in various important ways. There's infusions, for example, of soul that just are lacking in the previous 3 great bands mentioned.

Perhaps Paul and Bruce had an advantage - they could pick and choose from so many previous artists, that didn't yet exist or are contemporaries of the Kinks, Who and Small Faces. There's Beatles in there, and Curtis Mayfield and so much more.

I think we could understand the true gravity of the Jam better if we look at it from a European or UK perspective. It just so happened that the USA market had gone weird, and lost track in many respects as to what great pop music was. We make the assumption that because Paul and Bruce did not bust the USA market wide open, that their music wasn't all that. But that's wrong. The problem was with the USA market. We, the USA collectively, were a bunch of fools. At that time.

Southpole, Deed, Chuck Stoat and 7 others like this.
  6. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Meister

In The City is as good as an album gets

7. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

The Jam is a GREAT band. Energy, sophistication, range. Oh, and check out lyrics on “Underground.” Townsend should be proud of his offspring! Honestly, the only tribute band I’d ever joining would a Jam (or perhaps Jam/Clash) combo. But alas...

Deed, kookaburra, cyclopean and 4 others like this.
  8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

a town called malice was my first introduction to the jam...im glad i met them

9. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Perhaps...but I saw The Jam live in 1981, and they were terrible. Really disappointing after hearing their first album.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  10. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

11. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I hooked onto The Jam in '80, and their performance on "Fridays" sealed it. It was the buzz with us freaks in music class on the following Monday. It was all Rics and Voxes for me after that.

I love the sound, the vibe, the Rics, the Mod image, all of it. I think Weller is a genius, but man, he seems like a really miserable dude. I think Foxton is brilliant.

I did finally see Weller play in Boston on the Sonic Kicks tour and he was tremendous.

Southpole, cyclopean and Teddyjack like this.
  12. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly Tele-Meister

Brilliant in their own right. Sound Affects was the album that hooked me. I never got to see them being from the Deep South (I did see the Clash twice, another great band). Weller has had an amazing career. I don't always like his stuff, but I admire the fact that he is always trying something different. I thought it was really cool how the Brit Pop bands were so into him (I liked some of them as well). While the Clash found some success here with Combat Rock, the Smiths sort of remained indie darlings. I'm not near as good a picker as most of you I'm sure but I think Johnny Marr was amazing.

13. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite bands at the time.

Deed, trancedental and Tommy Biggs like this.
  14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

One of the best bands ever.

Deed, trancedental, oldfish and 2 others like this.
  15. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

All three, they made no bones about who they wanted to be like. They were a good live band who as you rightly say were never to recieve the recognition they deserved

Tommy Biggs and Rick330man like this.
  16. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

All of the above.

One of my top 3 favorite bands ever...maybe even number one.

The Jam wore their loyalties on their sleeves. There is a photo of them in front of "Big Ben" in London which is basically them copying the cover photo on the Who's The Who Sings My Generation album. They performed KinKs covers and Paul in his solo years performed Small Faces tunes including All or Nothing and Here Comes the Nice. These are all bands that I love. The Jam took elements from the Who, the KinKs, the Small Faces and even the Beatles then brought some more talent to the party.

Unfortunately, they never took off in the U.S. Their performance of Private Hell on the U.S. television show Fridays on Friday, July 11, 1980 was riveting! It solidified their fan base in the U.S., but critics often blamed their being "too English" as the reason they did not reach star status here.

I spent the summer of 1981 in Madrid. Riding the subway (El Metro) one night, I came across a group of fellow university students who had adopted this nightly ritual of hopping on board the subway trains at midnight, heading to the rear car and singing Down In the Tube Station at Midnight in their best broken english. I came back for a few more rides on other nights to help them with the lyrics.

The Jam gave us an excellent run and left a top notch body of work to remember and appreciate them by.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Oxidao, Southpole, Deed and 6 others like this.
  17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I went to the big city* one day as a teenager, it might have been the first time I went alone, & bought my first two albums ever. One was Sandinista and the other was Sound Affects.

Back in the wee town, no one in high school had ever heard of either band. Fine - it was my sonic party and they weren’t invited. Works both ways...

Pax/
    Dean
    * referred to in those days as ‘going to town’

18. TheLondonRiots

TheLondonRiots TDPRI Member

First band I saw live, so obviously that left its mark.
    I really liked The Jam, I love The Clash more.
    What I find extraordinary about both is what they managed to do in the relatively short time they were around, and how much they developed their sound.
    The Clash went from White Riot to Death Is A Star in six years or so, quite remarkable.
    I've seen Weller quite a few times since, but I gave up on him years ago.
    I dont think he gives much to his audience, the final straw was seeing him at Glastonbury, Saturday sunset slot on the Pyramid, where the job is to roll out the hits... he was doing 15-minute versions of obscure album tracks, stood with his back to the crowd trading riffs with Steve Cradock.
    Very talented but notoriously awkward. Doesn't stop me getting stuck in to Setting Sons now and again though!

19. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Great band.

20. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My band The Cards supported the Jam on some UK dates, we were always very welcomed by the guys, although MR Weller was a little offish at times, he even told us to stay onstage longer at our home town Southend gig. We ended up playing on their final ever date back in 82 at the Brighton Conference Centre.
    Remember seeing Bruce in tears that night....end of an era, great band!
    We are also mentioned in Wellers biography, which was kinda cool. We split up shortly after that last gig as well, how could we top that....we couldn’t ha ha...

Oxidao, Southpole, Spox and 11 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.