The JagMaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jfellows, Dec 31, 2015.

1. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for those photos Jonathan. No trouble seeing them this time! And for showing the results. I have always wondered if the paint is anywhere near as good as foil, now I know.

2. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Is continuity enough to prove it's as good as foil? (Assuming foil is 'good'). I'm not being sarcastic. I genuinely don't know!

I do love the look of copper foil, but the ease of slapping some paint in there is quite appealing, too.

3. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think continuity is enough to prove the paint as good as foil. I used resistance to check conductivity. After 6 coats of the stewmac shielding paint, I had conductivity, but still rather high resistance (70+ ohms).

Is the paint a conductor? Yes. Is it as good a conductor as copper? Nope.

But then there is the practical side of the question. At what point is the paint good enough? Are you getting no benefit with shielding paint until you get to 5 ohms resistance? Or is 100 ohms the threshold?

I used the paint 'cause I had it. Because of the uncertainty of whether or not its truly effective tho, is why I will use copper foil on the next build.

Edit: How many coats did you apply to get to 0.2??? I would say that is pretty equivalent to copper foil!

I've been away from this thread too long. Coming along very nicely! Love the gloss!

HockeyPop98 likes this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I've used some other shielding paint that had copper in it; it was brown instead of black. It was called Noise Hell (kind of a Japanese joke). I think it had considerably higher conductivity than the carbon-based stuff.

5. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Thanks!

Actually, that's just with 2 coats of the Stewmac. It says to use a minimum of 3, but 24 hours apart, so I've been painting the last two evenings. I was surprised how efficient it was as well. It actually measures lower if I'm measuring in the same cavity. There's not quite as good of a connection yet through the small holes I drilled and then painted inside of, but it's gone down from the first coat to the second, so we'll see what kind of a reading we get tomorrow after the 3rd coat is dry. It's pretty easy to work with, but it is a little bit of a PITA that you have to wait 24 hours between coats x 3 - that's 3 days of nothing else going on.

6. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Ok, first - full disclosure on the shielding paint - I went back out and messed around with it again, and realized I had the multi-meter set to the wrong range. So the paint is actually measuring about 20 ohms, not 0.2. So it's definitely not as conductive as tape, but I still believe it will accomplish the task well enough.

I started today by cleaning up the neck. Had to scrape finish at the edge of the binding, and clean gunk out from around the fret ends etc. Then I ran it over the buffer to clean up a little bit more and polish, and then I oiled it for the first time. I'll let the oil sit for a while and soak in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Then it was time to make the nut.

I started by filing the basic shape. Using bone. Slots started for point of reference.

I had extended the binding up over the nut slot, and so there were "ears" that I had left on the binding so that it would cover the sides of the nut. First step was simply to get the basic nut shape to fit in the slot, and between the "ears".

[​IMG]

Then I began to refine the binding to flush up to the nut using assorted files, razor blades and sand paper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll clean it up a little bit more once the set up is about done and the slots are perfect. I'll polish up the nut and the binding edge at that point.

Now, time to marry this thing to the body.

Captain Nutslot and Beatbx like this.
  8. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Got a bit more done today.

Installed tuners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted the bridge and vibrato

[​IMG]

and got the neck lined up and the pickguard in place. Pickguard isn't mounted yet, I want to check the placement with the control plates before drilling.

[​IMG]

Getting close now...

LeftFinger and Captain Nutslot like this.
  9. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Nice catch on the buffing wheel Jonathan. The guitar is a stunner!!!:p

Jfellows likes this.
  10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It sure is! Love the mock-up.

Jfellows likes this.
  11. nickhofen

Rick....buahahahaha where the heck did you find that....ahahahaha "we drive on the left", man you are bad!
    Buahahahhaaa.
    I am crying!!!!

12. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

It's the black eye that sets it off:rolleyes:

13. nickhofen

It is the whole picture, it seems like someone arrested the Queen after a fight and what it writes on the label she holds,at the photo taken at the police (maybe)station !!!!

14. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Re the " conductive paint," unless you have zero ohms continuity, any areas with a few ohms resistance between a "true earth" and your painted cavities can, in extreme circumstances actually act as an antennae and introduce low frequency interference ( mains hum ) into the system rather than shield it. It could possibly even result in your guitar "picking up " 2-way radios and radio broadcasts...............if you are playing very close to a ham radio transmitter or broadcast tower. I used to have a Burns Orbit 3 amplifier when I was very young which used to pick up the police base to car transmissions from the "cop shop" across the street. One night we heard base telling a car to come and quiet us down.......the movie theatre around the corner were complaining!

Killer guitar by the way, superb work!!!!!

DC

submarineforest likes this.
  15. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

That's a beauty. You've certainly done yourself proud.

16. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

video video

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

PMSent.

Out with the old in with the new (and better).

Sorry, Jonathan, for the derail. It was suggested that we get new avatars for the new Software.

I agree with da capptin-video, please.

18. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

There were a few final steps to wrap this one up.

First, had to drill pilot holes for the neck screws. Under that T-shirt on my drill press table is the radius sanding block inverted. This keeps the neck level when drilling the pilot holes.

[​IMG]

Then I covered the back of the pickguard with aluminum. This is the stuff from Stewmac, heavy gauge, adhesive on one side. This will shield the cavities, and also by making contact with the shielding paint that I lapped up on the top rim of each cavity, complete the shield and extend the ground throughout the guitar.

[​IMG]

Then align the neck properly.

[​IMG]

and make sure that all of the hardware components will fit.

[​IMG]

My friend did all of his own wiring on this, and he did a great job. He made a plastic template so that everything would fit properly. Cloth insulated wires, pin connectors to hook it all together through the openings between the cavities.

[​IMG]

19. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Then it was just a mad rush of assembly craziness with all the usual drilling, turning screws and final set up adjustments.

Here's the end result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in the sunlight to see the wood figure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

Looks as stunning as
    I expected it would, now to hear some audio clips!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.