The Irishman

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Apr 2, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I enjoyed this film. I liked the pace a lot. the acting was believable, I never doubted any of the characters.
    I liked the depth of feeling that I had watching performances

the scene talking to the priest when Frank says "who could make a phone call like that?"
    was he remembering the phone call that he had made the wife of the man he had murdered , along time friend and he is trying to reassure her "be strong" acting like were his friend is, is a mystery, the weaking , collapsing detachment of the hit man suffering so much guilt. "who could make a phone call like that?"
    Frank being eaten by self loathing, feeling monstrous , acted out so painfully silent. my friend calls it e-brow acting

2. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

My wife, son and daughter thought it was a good film but slow moving. I thought it was a great film and Joe Pesci was outstanding without hardly saying a word the very epiphany of quiet menace.

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

8 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

What?

Ok it just seemed like 8 hours...

thunderbyrd and blowtorch like this.
  4. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

The scene where De Niro beats that dude is just awful. Awful. He looks so stiff and geriatric it was embarrassing. My gran is 92 and isn’t that stiff an awkward. Ruined the film. I think the film would have been greatly improved by using young actors to play their younger selves.

Said scene:

Lawdawg and BluesGuitarMart like this.
  5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I agree with the depiction of a man eaten by guilt. But it was too long. Self-indulgent. The daughter was the most interesting character, I thought. She almost never got to talk. Otherwise they were all pretty familiar mob-movie characters.

The de-aging I also found unconvincing. DeNiro looks younger but he moves like an old man

6. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I read the book after seeing the movie.
    The book was too long too!

I was telling the Mrs. it was like ‘Forest Gump joins the mob’, the man was in on everything!

7. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

Good movie.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I watched the first hour last night on Netflix and I loved it.

I'll probably break it into three parts.

I liked the story.

I like movies that take you back into recent history and do it well - the cars, clothing, manners, buildings - I like that stuff.

9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

My wife and I liked it, but we had to watch it in two sessions because we fell asleep right about half way into it.

10. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Holic

So, I bet I'm not the only one here on TDPRI whose tastes run to flannel shirts.

The Irishman had MANY gorgeous vintage examples, and then they doubled down with the shot that showed DeNiro packing a suitcase full of them. I was jealous.

Anyway, I liked the movie quite well. Saw it in a theater and the pacing was slow but worthwhile, I thought. Agreed on the importance of the daughter, both the younger actress and Anna Paquin for me, represented the moral center of the movie's viewpoint. Many have criticized the movie for having nearly zero speaking parts for women, and that's certainly true, but the silent women in the movie held a TON of the attention nevertheless.

I often hate Al Pacino's overacting but in this he was well matched to the role of larger-than-life Hoffa, and I liked him a lot.

11. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Meister

My brother liked it... I just can't get over Italians playing Irishmen.... I'm 80 percent Scot Irish descent... It just don't make any sense whatsoever. I think Scorcese appreciates Irish heritage, but not enough to hire em'.

My brother said it is amazing how much power the MOBs had over labor unions, especially in NYC.

12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I watched it once and wasn’t overly impressed.
    After all the buzz it got, I decided to try again and my wife and I watched it together.
    She thought it was ok.
    I understood the plot better and could really get more into the characters the second time around.

I liked it, but it isn’t going to stand out in my mind like Godfather ll.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  13. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I felt like it was slower and more painful than being pecked to death by a duck. It wasn’t my thing at all - but I am pleased that it works so well for so many -

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

We have planned on doing a local Irishman plot point tour but since my son and wife are so disinterested I might have to do it myself - which won’t be much fun...

Scorsese ?

The epic nepotistic miscasting in the Irishman (about as bad as it gets) and his embarrassing unrequited love for Robbie Robertson are small black marks on an otherwise legendary career.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Certainly not a perfect movie, and far from Scorsese's best, but I did really like it. While it was long and slow moving, I thought the length and pace -- especially in the last third of the movie -- were in service of Scorsese's broader point about the banality and meaningless of Sheehan's life of crime.

My biggest critique was the de-aging. It didn't look terrible per se, but there's just no mistaking the physical movement of a 75+ year old De Niro for a man 40 years younger. I really would have preferred if Scorsese had cast younger actors for those scenes.

985plowboy likes this.
  16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I enjoyed it very much, but mob/gangster/noir is my favorite movie genre.

My one buddy invited us over to watch it with him and his wife. They have a decent size TV (60” or so). Right before he started the movie he says, “I hope you don’t mind subtitles. Barb and I are both hard of hearing.” I should have just told him to turn it up louder, because the subtitles were distracting.

I might watch it again without the subtitles.:D

I don’t think that this was Scorsese’s magnum opus as some critics are saying, but it’s right up there.

17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Unintentionally hilarious was probably not Scorsese's goal with that scene!

ieatlions likes this.
  18. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Holic

I live a few blocks from the Union Street Bridge across Brooklyn's Gowanus Canal, where the gun-dumping montage was filmed. Come on down!

Jonathan Lethem called the Gowanus "the world's only body of water that is 90% guns."

19. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I started it and quickly gave up. Way too slow for me.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Being that his little girl was along side of him I took it as a hard ass who wanted to loose it completely but he had to hold back at the same time. I thought he looked like a man walking into battle. That's just me - I could be wrong.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.