The (Insert Dirt-Cheap Chinese Brand Here) Pedal Club!

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Oct 28, 2016.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I have not, but you're staring down the same rabbit hole I have to work to avoid! My working theory is that a lot of these clones of the same effect pedal often share the same or very similar circuitry, even if the pedals looks significantly different on the outside. That may not be true a lot of the time, but it's probably a good idea to try and avoid buying 2 or 3 versions of the same clone anyway (at that point, there's no actual savings on the real thing, also). I've been guilty of this in the past - I mentioned I had the Mooer Rumble Drive and then the Tomsline Dumbler (same exact sound). I've also owned multiples of pedals cloning the Suhr Riot, MI Audio Crunch Box, and Carl Martin Plexitone - they aren't all identical, but close enough that going to the well twice really didn't do much for me.

Mosky has a new Silver MM that is a Timmy clone, but so is the Caline Pure Sky (I believe), so that would probably be a bad investment. The Orange Burst is a pretty good BB Pre-like boost/overdrive. I really like how the Tone City pedals are built, but I own a few of their minis, and sound-wise, I do not think they are significantly better than other Chinese clones.

2. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Joyo acoustic simulator. Mine hums louder'n a strumpet doin' overtime! Worthless!

3. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

What is that, the "Wooden Sound"? Haven't tried that, but I'm not much of a fan of acoustic sim pedals, generally. Sorry to hear!

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I play a little bit of acoustic with my band. I don't have an acoustic guitar amp, nor have I built an acoustic guitar pedalboard (yet). I was looking for a decent, not too expensive acoustic processor, but haven't found what I want yet. I'd like reverb, eq, feedback suppression, and whatever other goodies might come along for the ride, but for cheap. The only thing that I've seen so far is an ancient used Zoom A2 pedal, but I'm not sure I want to pay the asking prices for it since they are so old. Any thoughts?

5. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

For Christmas I got a Rowin Dumbler pedal (under $30 at Amazon). I have no idea what a Zen drive, much less a real Dumble amp, sounds like -- I was just interested in something different. And this is! I've been playing it with my Telecaster through a Monoprice 15W with reverb, delay, and tremolo from a Zoom G3. It's great for blues soloing on the neck pickup, and Link Wray-style tones on the bridge. My one criticism of the pedal after a day of playing: the gain knob is a little loose on the post. (The post itself is tight.) I don't know what the voice knob is really doing, except that higher settings seem more "open." Does that mean more sustained? more treble? I don't know; there's also a tone knob.

Maybe one reason I like this pedal is that I didn't have an expectation of how it would sound. Now that I have it, it's what I wanted the Joyo Sweet Baby to sound like.

Here's a review. It's not how I play it, but pictures are always fun.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  6. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

I'm in: Caline Hot Mushroom compressor for rehearsals. It does its job well enough to me - no hum or noises at all.

Best regards.

51nXxdYtFVL._SL1000_.jpg

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a Joyo dude at the moment.

8. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

A few months later...

I've grown to love the Sweet Baby...it gets more playtime than my Soul Food or the onboard Tube Screamer on my TSA-5 amp. The Sweet Baby adds just a little edge and warmth to the signal. I enjoy it when I'm fumbling around country, southern rock, rockabilly, and surf licks.

That's not saying that I don't love the SF or TS, but those are (to mine ears) better suited for slightly heavier stuff...they really come alive when I'm fumbling through Hendrix, the Ramones, and a couple odd 90's alt-rock songs.

9. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Ok, I need to experiment more. How clean is the amp you're running it into?

10. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

My one amp is a Peavey Rage 158, which is super sanitized clean, and the other amp (that TSA-5 I mentioned above) is apparently based on a Fender Champ. So, both are pretty darn clean.

dswo likes this.
  11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried almost all of the Chinese brands, overdrives only. Liked all of them, some better than others, but that just based on subjective tone preferences, not quality of build or components. Of the dozens I've tried, only one or two had any problems.
    Have tried-
    Joyo
    Caline
    Tomsline/Aroma
    Donner
    Nux
    Kokko
    Eno
    Rowin/Amoon
    Tone Bakery
    Tone City
    Chinese Centaur Klones
    E-Wave
    Elac
    Xin Sound
    Haven't tried Mosky, but some are on the way
    My favorites right now are- Caline Pure Sky, Tone City Bad Horse, and Tone Bakery Cream Brulee, but that's subject to change at any moment.

12. luckett

luckett Banned

On the real Zendrive, the voice knob cuts bass and increases gain at the same time. The tone knob cuts highs.

dswo likes this.
  13. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Does anyone own an aroma/tomsline black teeth/vintage distortion? Been wanting to try a rat/clone and ordered one. Demo's sound decent.

14. Staypuft1652

Got the Aroma abt-5 rat clone. It works. Happy. Ordered a wah from sweetwater a week ago, its been travelling the country for some reason. Will hopefully receive it at some point.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

So I have two pedalboards, and on both, I have identical delay pedals - the Donner Yellow Fall. Nice delay pedal, but if I had to complain about anything, its the mix / level control. It has to be set VERY low and the exact setting occupies a very narrow range on the dial, making it a little difficult to dial in.

Today, I ordered a Mosky Blue Delay, which supposedly is a clone of the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay. I've watched a bunch of videos on the real deal, and seen Matt Scofield live, who uses two of the Mad Professor delays. I like what I've heard, and in the videos, the Mosky appears a little easier to dial in. I got it from a US seller for $22.50 shipped from CA. It will take until mid next week to reach NJ I suspect. Stay tuned.

Steve

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Well, I've had my first disappointment with these cheap Chinese pedals. I received my Mosky Blue Delay today (mini sized clone of the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay), and it was DOA. No LED, no sound when engaged (bypassed works as expected). My track record had been very good until now - 100%. But my batting average just went down :)

I ordered from a US eBay seller, so hopefully the refund or return/replacement will go smoothly. I guess I will be using my previous Delay for at least a few more weeks while I wait for this to be resolved.

17. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Update on the Mosky Blue Delay— I got notification that my money has been refunded, and they do not expect a return (cause they don’t want to pay the shipping). Now I’ll just wait to see it hit my credit card as a refund. Then I will take this pedal apart and see if I can fix what ever is causing it to act dead. Maybe it’s grounding out somewhere inside, or maybe a solder joint or a wire is broken. If I can’t fix it, I’ll try buying once more and use this enclosure and the jacks for some hobby pedal build.

nsmith01tx likes this.
  18. Staypuft1652

Having alot of fun with the faux rat. I can see why rat's are so recommended around here.

I don't suppose anyone knows of cheaper clones/rebrands of the mooer blues mood/crab? Also looking to get a decent mini reverb and/or tremolo.

19. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I fixed a mini pedal with similar problems as there was a solder whisker shorting out two of the on/off switch terminals.

20. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I got my refund, and spent a little time trying to find an issue with the pedal that I could repair. No luck yet. But I’ll spend some more time on it. In the mean time I ordered a new one. Hope that one works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.