The (Insert Dirt-Cheap Chinese Brand Here) Pedal Club!

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

I bought the Verb square from amazon last week but returned it after 2 days. I wanted something with more options than my biyang tri verb which is awesome in its own right. I was looking for a good plate reverb. On the verb square I found it tricky to dial out the metallic clank even with the tone backed off. Spring and plate seemed very harsh. I tried it with my vibrochamp and 5e3 using my gretsch 5420, les paul special and affinity tele but couldnt get to grips with it. It sounded least harsh with the p90s in my special.
    So i returned it and picked up a marshall rf1 reflector for a little bit more. Wow what a difference. Very usable and natural. I think its a keeper.

sliberty likes this.
  2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the detailed reply. That metallic sound seems to be the downfall of a lot of reverb pedals. The ones that get that part right (in my experience) are great all around, but cost plenty. Well, at least I'll know to skip this one. Thanks.

3. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Its a shame as I love my cheap chinese pedals and I wanted the verb square to work!
    I was lucky here in the uk as the verb square was £37 on amazon and the reflector was only £49 on offer so not too much more and worth a try. Are they very expensive in the US? I was going to try the valeton coral verb next but now im happy. Happy hunting!

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

In the US, on Amazon, the Donner is $45, and the Marshall is $184! Huge difference in price here.

5. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Wow! that is an eye wattering difference in price. Thats about £140 pounds here which could get you a catilanbread topanga, polara or tc hall of fame.

6. ES330

ES330 TDPRI Member

Gone thru all the brands mentioned...
    IMO, Caline is the best of them !!!!

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Dunno last time I posted here but a revelation!! Rowin Dumbler!! YES! Goldurn if this doesn’t sound amazing! Low gain, but wow! What flavor! Never had the pleasure of playing through a Dumble, but gosh this pedal sounds great. A bit pricey at $32 shipped but worth every penny.

8. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

The Rowin Dumbler sounds like a good one to try !!! I just got a Kokko Overdrive for US$17 delivered from Aliexpress. I am very impressed with it. It goes from just a hint of warmth/OD to quite a nice crunch. Certainly worth a punt at that price.

9. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

dswo likes this.
  10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Not too long ago, I bought a Monoprice Compressor. It runs $30, but I got $5 off that day for some reason. It is quiet, and sounds great. The tone control allow you to dial in a touch of sparkle if you like. If I have a complaint, it is that the squish is a bit subtle - I end up cranking it to about 3 o'clock, but thats not a big deal.

Supposedly it is a clone of the Mooer Yellow Comp, which is a clone of the Diamond Compressor. I was tempted to get a Yellow Comp after seeing Henning Pauly's demo and review on Youtube, but it was running $60+ at best, so I took a chance on the Monoprice. Its guts are not the same as the jacks aren't in the same spots, but it still might be the same circuit....who knows.

11. MyMelbourneDown

MyMelbourneDown NEW MEMBER!

People here have been asking about buying on AlixEpress. My answer is: ALWAYS!!!

The reason is that things on Amazon at twice the price, or Ebay at 1.5x the price, come from Aliexpress in the first place (or in some cases, clones like Taoabo).

Unless someone is buying more than 1000 units (or it is sometimes less) in which case they are buying from Alibaba (the manufacturer) and are saying "Call my range Prettycat Pedals paint them pink and put silver stars all over them use weaker springs for the switch and I will tell everyone they are ‘especially designed for female guitarists !" (suggestion: If you have $1000 to spend, do just this, but please send me a box of pedals, M’K?)

So the chain is: Alibaba - manufacturer); Aliexpress (Taobao, Wish, but Aliexpress is the biggest) wholesaler; Ebay/Amazon – retailer; Yourlocalmusicstore sub-retailer. The price goes up each step.

The key to this chain is trust at each point. Gold-certified manufacturers on Alibaba have had both their premises AND their accounts books inspected by Alibaba, and they have feedback scores as well. You're far less likely to find one of these mistreating its workers than somebody who supplies to Walmart, and any fraud and They Are OUT!!!

The Aliexpress supplier doesn't get paid until you have notified that you:

1) have received the goods and;
    2) Are happy with the goods
    3) Or after 28 days UNLESS you notify a dispute which may be resolved by Aliexpress and always favours the buyer, which can take 60 days. And, as with volume Ebay sellers, the Aliexpress sellers will jump into boiling lava to help you. The AliEx support staff themselves are available 24/7 on chat, though their English is a bit limited (they are Filipino).

Safest way of buying in the world.

Feedback is not as important on AEx. Too easy to fake, so there is no pressure to provide feedback, as with Ebay. But it is valuable. The main problem with AEx is that a search under 'price low-hi' will bring in a lot of junk, even more so than Ebay. Just keep hitting the Next Page button...

And I want to point out that this is not confined to huge companies, or Chinese companies. I'm ns if it is in the USA yet, but as of last week, if I am an Australian with a screwdriver in one hand, a soldering iron in the other and a bright gleam in my eye, I can set up as an Alibaba manufacturer, capacity to supply, one unit per week.

If i happen to be bilingual in English and French, Chinese, Tagalog or Bzranjyssk, I can set myself as a wholesaler on the Aliexpress Bzranjyssk-language website, buying pedals from BrightEyes Australia and selling them to the all the ppls in Bzranjysskka. Or if I, as a manufacturer, want to take the bother of supplying units to individual buyers, at manufacturing prices, I can do that, too.

And this is how Jack Ma got 43.5 billion $$$ and became the richest man in China.

I have used Aliexpress for years. It's the best, and I DO mean the best, unless you want to discuss your problems with someone personally or who speaks good English.

I haven't bought any pedals until last week. But I would make the following points:

1) Pedals aren’t necessarily clones. A pedal was difficult to design in 1960. Not now.

2) The Chinese - just like the Koreans before them and the Japanese before them, and the Thais and Indonesians who will come after them, only steal ideas at first. Then they improve them. And they add features that lazy folks still doing what they did half a century ago don't. This is why Toyotas made in America are the biggest-selling car in America. Would any of you guys like an Ibanez?

3) I refuse to believe that a pedal all of whose parts can be bought for less than $10 should retail at $250.

4) Pedals first. Analogue synths better than an Arturia Matrix Minibrute for $250 later.

5) Western manufacturers CAN and DO compete when new players come on the scene. Dinosaurs who are playing on reputations established fifty years ago and only enriching shareholders who are as likely to be in Moscow or Beijing as in Washington, don't survive.

6) I am an electronics musician, not a guitarist. But now I am studying music at Uni, I finally have the band I've wanted for fifty years. I dragged out my old box of 12 pedals for my violinist. They were ALL dead except for the cheapest - two Danelectros, a BBE Sonic Stomp and a Behringer Vintage Delay that HALF worked.

7) I was a buyer for the Australian Attorney-General, Sydney, which uses hundreds of dictaphones. We had a contract with Lanier for posh metal dictaphones and a very expensive maintenance contract. In case you don't know, Laniers (Swiss), historically, were the best - but these were more than 5 years old and failed constantly. The tech was old and had not been updated. I noticed we could buy 50 brand-new Olympuses for the yearly price of this contract.

i) I cancelled the contract and told Lanier to send in a tech for two hours a week and we would pay them ii) I bought the Olympuses at 1/8 of the cost of new Laniers iii) These plastic Olympuses were lighter, more modern and easier to use iv) Since Olympus is the world leader in voice tech, they were better v) and you know what…they lasted much longer and were harder to break! Oh, sure the steel OUTSIDES of the Laniers didn’t bust so easy…. vi) We saved $10,000 pa. The lawyers were happier and much more productive. I got promoted. As soon as minitapes were replaces by flash memory, Lanier folded.

7) I'm familiar with this too from paints. I dragged out a box of 4000 paints that originally cost me over $2000. Every single one in an expensive lead tube - dead. Ever one in a cheap-as-**** platic tube -live. Hmmm...maybe that is the reason Liquitex (who INVENTED acrylics) uses plastic tubes?

Guys, the information you provide on whether or not the squnglo pardufler is soldered or clipped to the Parenxy warbler and whether the Wertgleffer units are plastic or tin or germanium and what this means rocks! You rock! I love historically-informed performances of early music on replica instruments! I hope my info here repays some of your generosity.

Don't thank me, send me an Ammoon Blue Delay.

ndcaster, richiek65 and GrantR like this.
  12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Thats a lot to digest, especially on your first ever post on this forum. Watch ow I do it:

I sometimes buy from AliExpress. If their price is significantly cheaper than Amazon, I don't mind waiting 3-6 weeks to receive the item. But if the difference is small, I go with Amazon. Never had a problem with AliExpress - the service seems reputable.

Thats the way to convince people of your point. Short and to the point. Otherwise it looks like you are trying to sell us a bill of goods (no offense meant).

Welcome to the forum.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I walked into GC yesterday, and they had a Mooer Yellow COMp for $49 used. I had the opportunity to try it out, which wouldn't have been the case if I ordered online. I liked it, and since I have two pedalboards, I bought it. The Mooer is now on my main board, and the Monoprice is on my smaller board.

Help me...I am totally out of control with these cheap pedals...

At least I didn't also buy the used Epiphone SG. I was considering it for a dedicated slide guitar, but came to my senses. I already have too many guitars.

14. MyMelbourneDown

MyMelbourneDown NEW MEMBER!

15. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

. . . . . . . . . . .

Long story short . . . I am a guitar player (and have been for the best part of a long time !!!) and have bought and used (and eventually sold) many pedals over the years. I now only buy from Aliexpress, as they are very reliable to deal with. The name brand pedals I used to buy cost a lot more. I would buy them new usually, then eventually on sell them, as I have done with many guitars and amps, and loose a fair bit of money in the process. I've always accepted losses, as it is just part of the price i pay for my hobby/passion.

However, this way I get to try different pedals - without costing me anywhere near what I used to pay. You can usually get an idea of the sounds on youtube or other demo's, so you do get a pretty good idea of what you're going to get.
    At the end of the day, if it's not to your liking, simply sell it. No drama.

I have yet to have a bad experience, buying lots of different things from Aliexpress, not just musical gear. Good prices. Good products in my experience, and reliable shipping - which usually takes three weeks to arrive, and sometimes earlier.

Give them a go I reckon. I'm certainly very happy with my last purchase from them: Kokko Overdrive mini pedal - US$17 delivered. and no - I don't work for them :)

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have this also. I paid $20 shipped cool TS-style, I think it sounds great.

17. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Like @sliberty , I was going way overboard purchasing these cheap pedals because it was much more financially palatable to try one or two $25 pedals a month, versus having that same urge and buying something used for $100 or new for $200. I've rolled it back and am try to unload 2 or 3 of the less desirable ones at Guitar Center whenever I am buying a new piece of gear (which often is not a new pedal). It's strange, I watch those "Hoarders" shows on TV and that applies to me, but only with effects pedals. I really either don't have or don't act on that compulsion with basically anything else I'm interested in.

Anyway, I'll make an exception for that now only when I come across something that clones something I haven't already tried. In this case, that means the Mosky Green Drive Overdrive and Spring Reverb, which seem to be based on the Mad Professor Little Green Wonder and Malekko Omicron Spring Reverb. Found them AliExpress, then realized later they had both become available on Amazon Prime for roughly the same price. D'oh! Should arrive in the next week, hopefully.

Not sure what to think of the overdrive pedal - the Mad Professor stuff is always kind of foreign in concept to me. They rarely include traditional tone controls and the demos I heard of the original version didn't exactly line up with "Tubescreamer", "OCD", or any of the usual comparisons. The Body knob sort of shifts the point of emphasis like a parametric EQ: counter-clockwise is a low mids boost; clockwise is a treble boost.

I was advised against the Spring Reverb, so I consider myself warned. But I kind of look at reverbs the way some people think about fuzz - whether or not it's "good" is sort of beside the point. If it does something artificial or strange for $25, that could be interesting in and of itself. You're also seeing a recent trend towards "reverb as instrument", with the shimmer modes, etc. Still, a lot of the Chinese reverbs tend to just sound like a swampy hall reverb, no matter what they say they are. I admit that I wanted this just to see if sounded even remotely like the drip of a "spring reverb" at $25. Some of the videos seemed promising.

Felino likes this.
  18. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I haven't yet learned my lesson :)

I just ordered a TomsLine Dumbler. I don't really expect it to sound like a $100k amplifier, but I liked some of the videos I watched, and for $29 shipped, what the heck. So in about 3-4 weeks, I'll have a new toy.

Felino likes this.
  19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Anyone have experience with the Tone City Kaffir Lime? Supposedly a BB Preamp, which apparently I really like (I have the Caline Orange Burst). The Tone City KL is a mini, which would be cool, if it sounds as good as the Orange Burst does.

20. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty happy with these two! Nothing elite, but for $25-ish effects, these Mosky minis cover a lot of territory not explored by the usual Eastern clones. The bypass switch is comparable to a Donner, I/O jacks are fine, and the little mini knobs actually have a good amount of resistance to them. I really like the half-size knobs on the 1590A enclosure, as opposed to those little black plastic shaft things - these are much easier to turn and see where they are set.

The Green Drive is interesting - it has some similarities with a Tubescreamer, but less compressed, which means it is more expressive/dynamic and cuts through better. Depending on where the Body knob is set, it can be a somewhat "bright" overdrive. Not necessarily harsh or ice-picky, but strong in the upper mids. A lot of lower gain OD's love Strats and single coils, but the Mosky notes indicate this pedal works well with humbuckers, and I can really see that. Also, TONS of output. It can do a sort of clean boost thing, but turn up the gain and there's a good amount of sustain there. Probably not for everyone, but it's a cool $25 alternative to a Tubescreamer for a lead sound.

The Spring Reverb is pretty much what I expected from the videos. It's maybe not as authentic as a $100+ reverb, but as the cheap ones go, this is probably the best I've heard at emulating the drip and clang of a spring tank. Still kind of figuring out how to set Mix and Dwell. Both of them seem to impact decay time, but differently. The Dwell indicates it does something like bitrate reduction as you turn it up.

Felino and dswo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.