The incredible $1,500.00 Squier Affinity Stratocaster. lol

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ITSGOTQUACK, May 22, 2011.

1. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

You guys are forgetting one of the pillars of this type of salemanship,
    There's a sucker born every minute . . .

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

Only way he gets $1500 is if he puts a Custom Shop decal on it. I'm still floored that somebody bit $1K on it.

3. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

This is so Guitarded. lol Shill bid for sure. He has had to have received an amazing amount of flack over this ad and wanted to silence us. Have we shut up? lol This is great. I'm going to see if he relists it after it ends due to a "Non paying bidder". Great stuff.

4. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

+1

This is getting fun now...it would have been just plain boring without a bid!

5. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I have a pencil for sale. It's been reliced and is an exact replica of a 2002 Staedtler 'Crafstman'. as used by Tom Wolfe. Genuine ash body with two-tone poly finish. Features natural graphite 2mm core for easy sharpening and smooth writing. An exceptional bargain at $500. Shipping free. Be quick!

[​IMG]

6. Lester Z

Lester Z TDPRI Member

That pencil is missing the eraser and gold ferrule. I couldn't give you more than $450.

7. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

the guy's an idiot.

8. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

First you said you couldn't believe people were trying to defend him. You even (partially) quoted me to prove your point.

Then you said that yes, in fact there is another possibility, he may not be dishonest. So which is it, you can't believe I would say it, or you agree?

FWIW I wasn't trying to defend the sale. I was trying to point out to the witch hunters that not everyone is out to rip them off, and in fact if he WAS trying to rip people off, he's not doing a good job of it by accurately describing the guitar.

Think about it. He tells you exactly what it's made of, then puts a high price on it. What makes more sense?

1) He's thinking there is someone out there looking for a guitar who won't notice every other Squier they see for sale anywhere is 1/10 the cost of this one. He's going to trick that sucker by giving him all the info he needs to raise flags about why it's so much more expensive than the one at Best Buy.

2) He thinks the time/parts he put into it makes it worth ten times what other Squiers are worth

I'm a relative newcomer to the guitar world and I've already seen numerous instances of newbies posting on guitar forums, asking/talking about buying parts and building guitars, then selling them for a profit. They aren't doing it to rip anyone off, they honestly think they are capable of building/selling "custom" guitars for a profit. I'm too lazy to do the search but I'll bet dollars to donuts if you search here you could find multiple posts where someone wants to know what a "custom" partscaster could be sold for because they think it would be a great money making hobby, if not a full blown business.

This guy felt the same way, he just never posted it anywhere or didn't believe what anyone told him. He'll find out. The guitar will never sell for what he's asking.

IMHO it comes down to how the posters here look at the world. If you think everyone out there is trying to rip you off, you're going to see evidence of it everywhere you look. If you think most people are decent than you're going to see a naive seller who thinks he can get paid a lot of money for his time.

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Nothing but the question is will a buyer?

10. spruce

spruce Banned

Now if that was a nitro finish I'd have had that

11. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Nitro's too susceptible to tooth marks!

12. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Now I have a nice looking Stratoclone alder/rw in sb ~£100 Aria STG3 retro-fitted with genuine Fender Telecaster neck and bridge pickups with a Kent-Armstrong middle alnico Vintage-Stagger (modified) Stratocaster pickup, aged white (cream) pickguard, knobs and switch tip, and a Wilkinson "Vintage" big-block bridge unit with shortened custom-angle arm, full size Alpha and/or CTS pots (can't remember), genuine top-quality audio-grade 47nF polyester capacitor worth 30p, and loaded with Rotosound Pure Nickel PN10 strings, and fully set up (well over £200 in extra parts).
    So which mug would bid me £1500 for it?
    Is my work worth the extra £1000 over the parts?

Now hang on, this customised or tarted-up Squire in the OP is in an auction and apparently someone has bid $999.99 - can we smell fish?
    Where did $1500 come from? - I can see no reserve or "buy now" price.

13. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The auction started with a 999.99 minimum bid, and a 1500.00$ BIN price. When someone places a bid, BIN goes away.

14. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, but don't forget the pillow where this salesman is dreaming of selling it at that price.

someone bid $999 on it? c'mon, I'm not buying that!

salesmanship, ha I like that word.
    I picture a ship of fools at sea sleeping on deck on their pillows and dreamin' of the ultimate sale in the bay. think pirates of the caribbean.
    Arrrr, now where's the rum? :D

15. Johnny V

Johnny V TDPRI Member

As a citizen of the great nation of Indonesia I am offended you do not think this guitar is worth $1500. :mad:

:rolleyes:

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

So nobody's gonna post the actual replies they got from the seller? :mad:

18. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

If I only could contact the buyer...
    Have some really nice stuff in my basement. And cheap too if he understands that "I love what I do and it shows in my work"

19. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Well, you all may think I'm a fool for buying this guitar, but it totally blows away my Cort 20th anniversary and my Hello Kitty! In fact it's also better than my CV50 in LPB! Laugh all you want, for this boy a dream has come true, and for under a grand, I call that a bargain, it's a keeper!

....Or, scenario two, Boy/girl has many guitars. Boy/girl's significant other and or parents thinks they have way too many and is tired of seeing brown boxes arrive. Boy/girl hatches plan, claiming to restore and or buy undervalued guitars and resell in a better market climate. Boy/girl lists and buys own cheap Craigslist acquisition for a small monetary loss in hopes that significant other and or parents see the reinvestment of that cash in new guitars as a good investment. Boy/girl no longer needs to pretend to be ordering products for friends and trying to hide the fact that there are over thirty guitars crammed about the residence.

OK, I'm sure this isn't the fact, but I'm sure at least one person on TDPRI has tried or will now try the above! :lol:

20. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

Remember the good old days of Ebay when you could actually contact bidders on items BEFORE they ended and warn them of what they were getting into? My how things have changed. Can't even warn people when they are bidding on those fake Gibsons, Fenders and Ibanez axes on iOffer.com or on Ebay. You have to just sit back and watch them get taken for a ride. Even if you turn the item in as a fake, it never gets pulled these days. So, I'll keep this axe on my watch list, even though it has ended, and it will let me know when he relists it again. You know it will happen. lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.