The importance of your guitar strap

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by verb boten, Aug 17, 2019.

what is your strap situation?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2019.
  1. i have one or two cheap OTC straps, all i need.

30 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. .I have a large collection, but mostly generic straps that are seen everywhere.

39 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. I have one or two special custom straps that cost me plenty.

16 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. I am a strap connoisseur and have enough custom leather beauties that equal a Les Paul purchase.

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. I have a mix, cheaper than dirt to custom leather and use them all.

36 vote(s)
    27.9%
  6. I have one fantastic leather strap worth 100s that I use for everything.

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

I own a nice older leather strap that’s well used, but as of late I am really into the fender tweed weightless straps. Currently placing one in each of my guitars cases.(very comfortable to me):cool:

verb boten likes this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Like Steve 78 I like DSL straps. But I've got very fond of Mother Mary's range.

20180918_143844.jpg 20180821_100339.jpg

And those little rubber washers on everything. Should be Grolsch I know.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    verb boten, P Thought and Steve 78 like this.
  3. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

It's a local, artisanal production, premium quality leather :

http://www.patrick-bleses.com/

Patrick Blésès was the foreman at Chaussures Charles Jourdan (the luxury glamour French shoe-maker) for nearly 40 years, and he his a guitarist too. Retired, he decided to transfer his knowledge of leather to guitar straps. It's now a little family business driven by his daughter. Of course, they can made fancy and custom orders... ;)

This is my collection - resulting from a deal (guitar amp retoration :D) :

[​IMG]

-tbln

4. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I have about 8 straps, all are leather, two are 2" wide, the other six are 3" wide. 2 of the 3" suede straps have a sheepskin pad stitched on the underside of the strap, for use with my 2 neck-heavy guitars. (a Tele, and an SG). My Strat, Les Paul Standard, Guild Thunderbird, and Taylor 210E have their own straps, and I have 2 spares, I'm thinking about 1 more sheepskin padded to have as a spare for the neck heavy guitars.

I'm not really picky about my strap as long as it is comfortable. (and they all are) I do have a preference for leather though...I don't use strap locks, as I don't sling my guitar around a lot. I put Gibson oversized aluminum strap buttons on all my guitars however, except the Taylor, and after many years, I've never once had a strap slip off of those Gibson buttons!

verb boten and tvvoodoo like this.
  5. dsouza

dsouza TDPRI Member

I’ve got neck problems so I use light fender guitars with fender straps. A thinner but strong strap puts less strain on my trapezius and neck muscles than a thick strap made for say a Gibson guitar.

www.youtube.com/u2adrian1000

Les H and verb boten like this.
  6. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Levy's cotton 2" black long strap on every guitar.

Cheap AND good.

verb boten likes this.
  7. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

Each guitar has it's own leather strap, most are Levy's, one was bought online from a one-man-band leathersmith and one was made to order in Canada from best unicorn hide with conchos made from mithril.
    My old Fender Precision still has the same leather strap I bought for it in 1971.

verb boten, pelle31 and tvvoodoo like this.
  8. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

:lol::lol:
    Canadian unicorn hide is just the BEST

verb boten and pelle31 like this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a plain black Franklin on my 12-string

F400-S camping.jpg

And a fancier strap from Jodi Head on the SBG

EF340S BG.jpg

verb boten likes this.
  10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My Dog Tired canvas strap (TDPRIer Roger C makes them) is a comfortable sling for the old black Takamine GX-200T.

jazz rig.jpg

Philo here wears a color-coordinated Italia strap

Philo.jpg

Nonch Tidric has a SYF patch sewn on a Franklin strap I got off e-Bay

tattooed.jpg

And Ol' Simple has one custom-tooled from my friend Bill

Delta Blues and Simple.jpg

verb boten and tubelectron like this.
  11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

Thought that I could do a bit better than this rather poor effort, seeing as you guys have all photographed your straps, so here are mine with the guitars they hang on. I'm missing a couple of guitars and their straps at the moment (three on loan to friends, etc etc) so these are the ones I could lay my hands on:

IMG_3546.JPG
    Bartitone Blacktop Tele with cotton 2" Levy's strap.

IMG_3547.JPG

Much-modded Squire Tele with 3" Levy's snakeskin job.

IMG_3548.JPG

Baba Yaga, my '89 LP Custom with surprisingly cheap and nasty 2" no-name leather strap. I spent very neary every penny I had on this and then realised I had no strap for it, so I bought a cheap one until I could afford a better one. That was 15 years ago!

IMG_3549.JPG
    My much-abused '91 LP Standard and a huge 3" padded leather Zakk Wylde-type Levy's strap. This used to have huge chains on it but after I smakcked myself in the mouth with them a few times they had to go.

IMG_3550.JPG
    Korean Epiphone Sheraton. A killer guitar with an annoying strap; the synthetic wool / fleece means that once it's on it ain't moving - it's like having the guitar velcro'd to your clothes.

IMG_3551.JPG
    Ah, yes, the joker in the pack; my Giger Iceman and its rather kinky Levy's strap.

IMG_3552.JPG
    From the ridiculous to the sublime - my '66 Junior (yes, I know, pre-'66 spec, but a '66 nonetheless, according the the serial number) with a really thin leather strap that my old boss gave me. I wouldn't hang a Les Paul on it because the weight would kill my shoulder, but the SG's a featherweight and it looks as cool as hell with this strap. IMG_3553.JPG
    And last but not least, my Old Faithful. This was 1990's MIM Tele (I think) and given to me by a friend who was emigrating across the pond (Simon, lives in Glendale, you guys surely must know him, right?!). As you can see, it's had some minor modifications, done more than a few gigs and got the scars to prove it. I play this one more than all my others put together. Got a 2" Levy's leather strap to hold it up.

12. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Odd how uncomfortable a 3" strap can be. Without padding, my 3" thin strap would dig into my shoulder on its edges, had to have a cushion added.
    Fantastic pics, guys. :)

Les H likes this.
  13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Well, none of mine is a fancy “custom leather”. I do have a slightly nicer one, the others are the leather ones you find in the case when you buy (bought) and AVRI Fender. Which I like a lot BTW. AND I don’t use them all… the “Fender logo” ones stay in the closet. So all in all I keep the vote where I bestowed it … I think I belong to that stratum, strata, stratus … oh, FORGET IT!

verb boten likes this.
  14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Holy sh**!

15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

verb boten likes this.
  16. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

The only one I'm fussy about is for my b-bender. It's heavy to start with, and you spend a fair amount of time pulling the strap. So I use a 4" wide suede bass strap, with straplocks.

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I honestly can't remember the last time I used a strap. Not even sure If I can play standing up anymore.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

What bull..t. Buy what tou like, it's just a strap.
    Many Martin owners use the old Elvis strap at the headstock to preserve the guitars'
    period correctness. What is it with straps?

19. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Every guitar has its own strap, most are pretty standard, but a few special guitars get special straps.

IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1614.JPG IMG_2848.JPG IMG_0331.jpg

P Thought likes this.
  20. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had mostly cheap, generic straps since I started playing a lot again about 2 1/2 years ago. Tried one of the Italia leather straps that are always advertised around here but it's a lot heavier and bulkier than I want or need. I mostly play seated, so the strap is more of a fail safe than something that actually holds the weight of the guitar most of the time. A couple months ago I found the perfect (for me) straps from a guy in Chicago who sells under the McMurray & Blonde name. Just thin leather, either 1 1/2 or 2 inches wide, cut to length - not adjustable. Perfect, light and unobtrusive but plenty strong - I'm barely aware of them when I'm sitting, they're more than fine when I'm standing, and they're just sort of cool rough-ish looking leather that I like. I have two of the same length for a tele and strat, and one that's got two holes at one end, the longer one fits my ES-339 perfectly, the shorter one would fit a strat or tele if I ever move the strap to a different guitar. They were expensive, a bit more than $50 each with a coupon he had floating around for a while, but I don't expect to need any others going forward. I rarely use a strap with my acoustic, but I use the cheap cloth variety when I do...

Here are the first two I mentioned.

[​IMG]untitled-2-2-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

[​IMG]untitled-3-2-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.