The importance of your guitar strap

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by verb boten, Aug 17, 2019.

what is your strap situation?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2019.
  1. i have one or two cheap OTC straps, all i need.

30 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. .I have a large collection, but mostly generic straps that are seen everywhere.

39 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. I have one or two special custom straps that cost me plenty.

16 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. I am a strap connoisseur and have enough custom leather beauties that equal a Les Paul purchase.

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. I have a mix, cheaper than dirt to custom leather and use them all.

36 vote(s)
    27.9%
  6. I have one fantastic leather strap worth 100s that I use for everything.

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

I hope there isn't already a poll on this. If so, i couldn't find one.
    There seems to be several different attitudes when it comes to straps, from "I'll use anything handy" to "I have invested heavily and my beautiful strap collection shows it".
    I've tried to word the poll selections carefully to cover everything but if I left something out, lemme know.

2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I have a 2" solid black guitar strap for each of my guitars (8 in all). Some are leather, some are suede, some are nylon.
    They all have some form of strap lock. None were expensive, but they're not 'cheap guitar straps'. They don't fold over, and I've been using them a long long time.

rangercaster and verb boten like this.
  3. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I have many straps.. a few cheap which came with guitars I bought used. A bunch of good ones but no custom ie.overpriced special made. And a few that use.

verb boten likes this.
  4. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Over the years I have become very particular about straps. 2-1/2" padded suede leather is my choice. Anything wider digs into the side of my neck and suede grips my shirt so my guitar stays in one position until I consciously reposition it. Padding makes it as comfortable as possible. I have one for every one of my guitars. There is no choice like that in the poll so I didn't vote.

verb boten likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

TequilaCaster and verb boten like this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

IMO ... Each guitar you own should have its own strap of any design or composition you choose ...
    If you want to own one strap and ten guitars, fine ... But you will probably need to adjust it whenever you swap... Which to me is a pain in the ...

Blue Bill, tvvoodoo, P-Nutz and 2 others like this.
  7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The backing of the fender logo ones they have stock with a new guitar barely lasts a dozen gigs. Worst I’ve ever known

Every guitar has its own strap.

I had several made up by a guy at a local bike leathers shop around 40 years ago when I was around 14. All going strong. Def. faves. Cost me £2 each & done loads of gigs.

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

I wasn’t really represented in any of the categories so I went for the best approximation. I must have about 7-8 straps around, accumulated over the years. Some are the “Fender logo” in tissue/plastic, that I don’t use anymore. I have then two Fender leather straps, which I love, and one softer leather strap (which did not cost me an eye) which I also use. And another less soft black leather one I don’t use but keep around just in case. I don’t think the aggregate value of all my straps exceeds 150$.

verb boten likes this.
  9. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill TDPRI Member

Some of my guitars have £60 straps, some have £20 straps. All I need is a form of strap that is non-slippy and comfortable. They all have strap locks on them.

10. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I currently have nine straps. That's because I have nine guitars, and each one has its own. I've slowed my guitar-buying to nothing lately, but each time I've bought one I've shopped carefully for a strap that compliments it, as well as meeting my requirements for strength and comfort; I generally prefer leather ones 2 1/2" or wider. My straps run the gamut in price, from about $40 to a little over $100, so there's no Les Paul tied up in their cost, and I'd rather have the straps anyway. After the strap is on, I consider it part of the guitar, and it doesn't come off again.

djh22, tvvoodoo, verb boten and 4 others like this.
  11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I prefer Franklin leather straps. Each regularly played, gigged guitar has it's own strap.

12. Poorman512

Poorman512 TDPRI Member

2 Ernie ball nylon straps with Schaller straplocks for my electrics ( 1 is a backup) and one without locks for my acoustic. I have tried more expensive straps, but these work best for me. Hey if they're good enough for Eric they're good enough for me.

verb boten and tery like this.
  13. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Just about all of my guitars have their own strap. They vary in length and width. I've learned that I prefer a 2 1/2" wide strap or wider, but still own a rather large collection of 2" wide straps. Length varies depending on the type of guitar and where the strap buttons are located. I prefer that the "upper bout" hit me about naval level while standing. I also like a rougher/ coarse strap back verses a smooth/satin back to prevent sliding and neck dive. My most expensive strap probably cost around $38.00, but I usually spend between $17.00-$25.00 per strap. I've spent as little as $9.00 on a decent strap.

verb boten likes this.
  14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have quite a pile of straps, though I can only remember buying one of them. I seem to attract them like fleas. several of them were Christmas gifts, the rest seemed to just turn up or something.

my ideal in a strap is that I never have to think about it at all, it just does what I need it to do without twisting. I have a couple like that.

verb boten and Telecaster88 like this.
  15. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I don’t need many straps to *sit* in my home office and play all by myself. :)

obi-john, verb boten and Telecaster88 like this.
  16. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

To each guitar, an individual strap appropriate to it ... My $100 Epiphone doesn't need a $80 strap ... But a $2000 Gibby might ...

pelle31, verb boten and tery like this.
  17. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I have mostly the 2 inch $30-$50 Levi’s-hippy-style straps from various manufacturers. I have a couple 3 inch leather ones I got for some heavier Gibson’s.

I used to buy a new strap for every guitar, sometimes I’d rotate them around if I wanted a different look.

Sometime around the thicker straps I stopped buying them. I figured I had enough. I think I’m somewhere in there mid-teens for straps. Probably near a dozen more guitars than straps.

verb boten and rangercaster like this.
  18. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

I have one nice leather strap I made from two used belts. I had to go to several thrift stores to find the right materials. Not sure how to vote.
    Put me down for one fantastic strap worth 100s of pennies?:eek:

19. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Not represented. I have two great straps that have built in universal strap locks, by planet waves. But they weren’t expensive. On the other hand I have an original leather strap from a 1952 Tele that’s worth a lot but is so old I’d never use it.

verb boten likes this.
  20. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Every guitar must have its own strap and straplock or rubber washer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.