The "I'm not gonna pay a lot for this music gear" mentality.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scout2112, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Everybody is looking for a deal. There is too many people like me that scour the sales sites looking for that gear that they can make a buck on.

I am guilty as charged aboved, sometimes I buy something that I thought I wanted at a good price. Then I realize it is not my cup of tea and I flip it usually for a profit as I tend to buy low.

I actually saw a MIM Tele online that had been posted for less than an hour for $150. I called the number and the lady said, "It is already sold, I must have priced it too low as I have had fifteen calls in the last hour."
    Good deals don't last. I have almost given up trying to sell my gear on CL as no one wants to pay fair value. I had a '92 MIM Precision Bass with a case for $300 and the best offer I got was for $200 on the next Friday. I also had an '05 Epi LP Custom that I had listed for three bones and did not get a single call. However the LTD Superstrat I got for $50 that did not work, (bad solder joint) sold in two days for $100.

I would say if you are selling cheap gear then CL is your spot, if you want decent pricing on decent gear look at Reverb.

kookaburra likes this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have tried selling used gear every way there is. Local is the least hassle, to save on shipping and commission fees. but you are limited to buyers in your local area. I always use Craigslist. The many annoyances of this are well-documented, and I won't go into those here. Just have patience, ignore the scammers and low-ballers, and eventually a serious buyer will show up. But it might take a while.

I have had the best luck with Reverb. Items sell faster, and for more money. Fees are low, and shipping cost (purchased through Reverb) seems much lower than eBay. The hassle is, you have to ship things, which is a pain for big heavy items like amps and guitars. eBay is hit or miss. I have had great success with some auctions, where items I had sold for way more than I expected.

Bottom line: usually I list something locally on Craigslist first. If it doesn;t sell in 4 weeks, I put it on Reverb, and price it at the bottom of the used market. It will usually sell within 2 weeks. Also, I have tried listing things for sale on TDPRI, but never got a hit.

soulman969 likes this.
  3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just acknowledge that my hobby hàs a cost and it is a very reasonable cost compared to the enjoyment I get. So the "buy high, sell low" reality is not too difficult for me.

MilwMark likes this.
  4. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I forgot to add...if I wanted to pay more for a used item than I would pay for it brand new, I would be going to pawn shops.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

IMO the used guitar gear market is just too flooded and the buyers all have piles of gear already.

Reverb?
    Too damn expensive, I can always find a better price than Reverb tends to list stuff at.
    Ebay is all over the map, and I've bid on the same product that sells for double what I end up paying, numerous times, until I get lucky on an auction and get the price I'm aiming for.

GC often has surprisingly good prices on used gear.
    Often cheaper than the lowest auction price on ebay.
    They seem to know that if there are plenty of used whatever item it is, they need to price so it sells, not where they think it is "worth" should be.

I think sellers are obsessed with "gear value", which has little or nothing to do with how good the gear is.
    The value is what the market will pay in a reasonable amount of time up for sale.
    If it sits for a long time, your price is too high.
    The market speaks clearly.

Arguing with the market is the old man yelling at clouds thing.

duzie, Rufus and Obsessed like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think of CL as a quick, easy, fast method for buying and selling compared to all of the other options, so your items should be priced down for the convenience of instant gratification buyers. The eBay priced items don't move at all in our greater area. And so it should be.

I'm a low baller through and through, but I have lots of patience and will find what I am looking for at the price I'm willing to pay ... eventually.:cool:;)

7. Modernelove

Modernelove Tele-Meister

I have a buddy who sells stuff on eBay and Craig’s list for a living. He tells me that the buyer is going to always think they spent too much and the seller is going to think they got to little. Just the nature of the game.

Everything I sold I’ve pretty much sold for 2/3 the value, and it has always taken about a week to sell. Guitar center by me offers 1/3 of the value of an item so if I get twice that I feel okay about doing the work of selling it myself.

Also I couldn’t wait a few months to sell something that would drive me crazy, if rather take a loss to sell it fast.

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

my guess is that these factors are important to the calculus

people are in debt
    young people don't have lucrative jobs
    most folks don't have a lot of discretionary income
    gigs are few and far between
    what gigs exist don't pay enough to finance top-shelf gear

these probably explain a good bit of it

9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I live in a small city (or a large town) in Ontario. We have Craigslist & Kijiji. Both are almost useless (in this city) for trying to get a fair market value. If you look at other ads being posted on either it's something like a dozen ads a week. The people here who do answer the ad offer 40% of your asking price regardless of what it is.

I end up listing in nearby cities with a more active scene (a dozen or more a day). I have to drive a bit but usually get an appropriate price.

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have sold a bunch of guitars on ebay over the last 6 months. All have gone for low prices at auction. I think the market is down or people just expect very low prices if buying unseen/ unplayed. My feedback is and has always been 100% positive. The guitars I sell are my own and I don't buy or keep guitars with any playability issues. Thankfully I bought my gear cheap years ago when importing got bargains due to the exchange rate so I don't loose. It's just annoying to get much lower prices than the same gear in store.

I have auto reject on lowball offers. I checked a couple times and have seen stupid offers of half the starting price. There are some real morons out there. Setting the auto reject at anything $50 bucks plus lower than the starting price saves you being bothered by them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    soulman969 and kookaburra like this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

The typical CL buyer is avoiding retail and pawn shops, bottom fishing for desperation, typically to flip.

12. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Hard to even speculate without knowing what the items are, what your listing is like, and what price you are asking.

Pricing something at what you think is fair market value (what you paid used) may not be the most accurate way to price something.

That being said I have had things sit for surprisingly long without selling which I thought were in high demand and listed for a good price.

Example:
    Wildwood Thin Skin 64 Tele in perfect condition less than a year old priced at $1,300...took over a month to sell IIRC.

I usually ask myself "what is the lowest amount I would be willing to part with this thing for?" and list it for that. Then I start the description with, Price is firm, cash only, no trades, all offers will be ignored.

I have had many people just call and say they'll take when can we meet? But of course I always get somebody asking if I want to trade something that nobody wants anymore. That's CL, and I expect it going in.

I also understand my approach may alienate some buyers who would preferred to see it listed higher then allowed them to talk me down.

soulman969 likes this.
  13. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Yeah, I saw some guy on craigslist trying to sell a very nice 52 reissue tele for like $1500. If he would just knock the price down to $1200 he would have sold it already. Instead, the listing has been up there for a year now.

14. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I've had ok CL experiences, although selling prices need to be low in order to sell, IMO.

I did sell an amp recently, and I listed it at a fairly low price. A guy offered me a wee bit less, I said yes. When he came over, it was obvious that he didn't expect the amp I had...he was expecting a POS. I was happy to sell to him, because he was happy to be getting a decent amp for his money. And, it's not like I'm broke...and I think he was close...

That's my "come to Jesus" CL story. So there's that. I guess the rest have been ok.

djh22 and Chunkocaster like this.
  15. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've had pretty good luck with Reverb. In my mind, I price items fairly and always note that I am open to offers. The items that I sell are things that I'm not using and I'm more interested in moving them along than I am in ensuring that I maximize my financial return.

kookaburra likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I refuse to pay a lot for anything.

This habit grew out of necessity of being a single dad being compelled to pay child support, and trying to simultaneously also maintain a decent home for the time my children spend with me.

Kids are grown now, but the frugal ways remain. I've only recently started buying 12 packs of cans, versus 2 liter bottles, of the cut-rate bootleg Kroger's housebrand soda I buy:
    [​IMG]

Livin' large, baby

17. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I'm definitely a 100% herd-thinner, way too much stuff just seemed to accumulate and now I'm in serious downsizing mode.
    I'm sure you're not calling me a liar though:p The folks who have bought my gear have been very happy with it and that makes me happy!

Rufus likes this.
  18. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Its very eye opening when you discover that you really can get along without those things that you swore you "NEED".

To tie this in with the recent Credit Card debt thread, my opinion is that we often don't understand the truedifference between "want" and "need".

rogb, Chunkocaster and blowtorch like this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

shhhhhhhhhh

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. eightball14

eightball14 TDPRI Member

The way I approach craigslist is that whether I buy or sell I try to find a comparable price on reverb and I knock off another 15-20% to figure in the lack of commission and the fact that you don't get the 7 days to make sure everything is where it should be. I know that you need to take a good look when you are buying on craigslist, but there's a big difference between having 7 days and 20 minutes. Once that money changes hands on craigslist the seller is in the wind. I figure that's worth something on both sides of the deal. Why would you buy something on craigslist with no guarantees when you could get the same price somewhere else with a guarantee or two? Some people on craigslist are great, many are not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.